Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Help with Back ache during the night

Help with Back ache during the night Rss

Hi all, I am 30.4 weeks and the last few nights I have been waking up with aching in my lower back, and it takes me ages to get back to sleep.

And the night before last I even had mild aching in my lower tummy.

The lack of sleep is starting to get to me, I have been getting soo grumpy with the kids.

My hubbies out of town at the mo so I dont have the option of a back rub.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help deal with this?

I have tried a weatpack, pillows under my tummie and back and between my legs but these havent really helped.

I look forward to your ideas.

mum2 AJ 05, Mary-Jane 04, Rachael 99 & Jonothan 94

Hi Chrissy,

Those things you are trying are the only things I know of to help with backache.

Things I do to stop my back aching in the first place include:-

- a gentle walk every couple of days;
- a yoga class once a week (but only do this if you have done yoga before);
- not letting my back get cold.

I find if I miss my walk for a few days or a yoga class one week my lower back starts to ache.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Hope the back ache improves for you
Jo

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

Hi Chrissy,

I have found that a warm bath (or if you can't get in and out a shower) right before bed helps me. Keeping warm and relaxed reduces aches and pains to a degree. Also things like not slouching when you sit and lots of walking help with the muscles in your back...

When you sit try propping a pillow behind your back, strains during the day often come back to get us at night when we are trying to sleep.

Good luck... not long to go now,

Michelle (10 weeks to go too)
Hi There,

I have scoliosis (twisted spine) and i have managed to make it full term (i have 2 days to go now!) without too much pain. But when the pain did get bad i used my heat packs and took warm baths/showers. I havent had anyone give me a backrub at all sad Ive missed out on that. Medically, you might want to visit the doc and get some kind of pain relief (if your willing to take medication). Depending on what your doctor says, you can take non-steriodal anti-inflammotries drugs or Panadiene Forte (but only on doctors advice ofcourse!!!!!) These are known to be safe in pregnancy, but could deley the onset of labour. But i have done things naturally and used the heatpacks and when put in the right spot can work wonders!

If you want anymore advice on the NSAID's its best to talk to your doctor smile

Goodluck smile
Sign in to follow this topic