Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

When to pack? Rss

Hey to all expecting and non-expecting mums,
I was wondering if people could give me some insight into when the best time is to pack your hospital/labour/baby bags for the hospital?

Thanks smile

Karina, S.A, mum to Kaleb born 25/07/04

Have them ready to go at least a month before!!!!!
I was threatened to be put in hospital from jan onwards (bub was due in April) due to pre-eclampsia, when i eventually had no other choice but to submit to the pressure, at least all my bags were packed!
Jo

mum of 1

Hi,
I had my bags packed about 3 weeks before. I bought all new toiletries so that they could all be packed and nothing would be forgotton, but it was. I forgot my prized pillow that I can't sleep without, and planned labour with, so halfway through labour i made hubby go home and get it.
Have fun.

Lisa, SA, baby girl (4.5.03)

Hi,

I have 2 weeks until my baby is due and I haven't packed yet! Probably won't pack until sometime next week. I don't expect this baby to come early though so I guess I'm a bit complacent! When I was pregnant the first time, I was packed with about 3 weeks to go.

Good luck!

Yvette
Hi Surprised Mum,

I have 10 weeks to go with my second pregnancy and am starting to make a list of all the things I want to take in my hospital bag...

With my first pregnancy I was packed about 6 weeks prior to my due date, and will probably do the same again...

That way it is just one less thing to think about.

Goodluck,

Michelle
Well,....I'm due sometime this weekend (it depends who you ask as to which day I am due smile ) but I wasn't packed two weeks ago, and I still need to put my toiletries in my bag, and pack my labour bag and put things like nappies and wipes and slippers and...and...and ! wink into my daughter's bag because she is going to be dropped at my brother's house sometime in early labour. .... So I've got a really bad case of complacency!! at least most things are packed! Eeek,...I'm making myself nervous thinking about it...maybe I should get this packing totally finished!! wink
I have written a list of things though that need to be gathered up, so at least I'll know what I'm looking for!
Anyway,...I don't recommend it,...I think with my first birth I was almost totally packed about 6 weeks before the birth, and it certainly saved a lot of trouble.
One thing I forgot last time for the labour bag was some food for my hubby, and even though he says he didn't mind, it was one thing I was worried about all during the birth...and after being up all night and all day with me, he only had a few little snacks till tea time, so this time I'm going to make sure he's got something in my bag to eat!!
So....start packing soon....I think I would say the sooner the better, don't follow my actions!!
Georgina
thanks guys smile Being an over eager mum to be i think i will prob have everything packed by 34 or 35 weeks (currently at 31). Thanks for mentioning about the food for hubby, i will make sure i put that on my list smile

Thanks again

Karina, S.A, mum to Kaleb born 25/07/04

hve it all ready at 36 weeks in case

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Hey Suprised Mum

I had my bags packed about three months before I was due and put in the car (what can I say I like to be prepared), but this was also because I thought that they had got my dates wrong and I wanted to be prepared (especially since I had a few scares along the way), and as it turns out I was right and my little angel ended up being born three weeks early. It just goes to show that it pays to be prepared.

Love Angel
xoxoxoxox

SA, beautiful baby boy born 3/04/04 my life

Hi,

With my first child she came 4 weeks early and i hadn't packed, my waters broke without contractions in the middle of the night so it was a case of just grab what i could.

But with my second i had my bag packed by week 32, i was making sure i didn't forget anything.

Its diffently better to be prepared early.

Jodi
Hi

My baby arrived 3 1/2 weeks early and I had not packed (I had only finished work the week before).
Unless you have a really fast Labour (which you will be pleased about) you usually get time to do it.
My waters broke early morning and contractions followed shortly after, and I had plenty of time to pack, before I went to the hospital, and my son was born 2 hours after arriving. I say, there is time to do it once contractions start if you really want to, as it usually dosn't happen that fast!

Joanne, Oamaru, NZ, 4 Year Old, 16 Month Old

Sign in to follow this topic