Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. What cough medicine is safe to take when pregnant?

What cough medicine is safe to take when pregnant? Rss

Hi, does anyone know what cough medicines are safe to take while pregnant?

I am 32 weeks - at the moment and have a chesty cough.

we have in the house Lemsip for chesty coughs - which we brought for the kids - label does not say it is not sutible during pregnancy but does say not to give to children under 2.

We also have some Lemsip defence cough lossengers that state not sutible during pregnancy so I know not to take these.

Does anybody know that if label does not state "not safe in pregnancy" if its ok to take?

Keen to hear

mum2 AJ 05, Mary-Jane 04, Rachael 99 & Jonothan 94

if its a cough then try drinking some black tea with some lemon squeezed in it. but if theres anything else i can find ill tell u. i never realy took anything while i was pregnant so i can't realy help u there sorry

Salwa, 2 girls, sydney

Hi Chrissy

I think the safest thing to do is talk to your doctor or pharmacist, or even your midwife. They usually have a book or list of medications and possible side effects.

Hope this helps
Jasmine
Hi Chrissy,

Not what you want to hear, but to the best of my knowledge there isn't really any safe cough medicines to take in pregnancy... and the reason being is that they have not been tested to check for side effects, so more often than not we are told to err on the side of caution.

In my first pregnancy I had a really bad cough for 3 weeks (from 27 - 30 weeks pregnant) and ended up in hospital because I thought I had cracked a rib coughing so much and so hard... x-rays revealed that I only had soft tissue damage and bruising of the muscles along my rib cage. Even in hospital they didn't give me any medication for my cough!

I would advise if you want to take anything seek medical advice from your doctor or pharmasist. I used to suck on honey and eucalyptus drops... but really I think it was more a comfort thing than a help.

Hope you are feeling much better soon.

Michelle.
Chrissy,

When I was pregnant with my second child, I had a bad cough for about a month. I went to the health food shop & got a cough medicine that was natural ingredients. This was great, but I can't remember the name & i wouldn't recommend anything without speaking to your doctor first. I used to go to the chemist, or ring them & ask if a certain product was safe to take before taking it.
If it doesn't say anything on the label about not atking it during pregnancy, don't just assume it will be ok. I was going to suck on soothers once & I rang the chemist & they said definitely not!!!

Good luck & take care of yourself.

Michelle - Mum to 2

From what I have been told by health food shops and pharmacies there are no safe cough medications at all when pregnant. What I would recommend to help (won't cure, but does help) is a hot lemon and honey drink. If possible fresh lemons and Manuka honey for the best effect with boiling water. If nothing else it smells and tastes great and the steam is good!
Best of luck

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

ask the chemist i used cough medine when pregnant but forget which one the chemist gave advice

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

According to my obstetrician: Duro-Tuss is perfectly safe to take during pregnancy for cough.
A couple of days ago when I really needed I couldn't find an answer on the internet. (weekend) I hope it helps someone.
Archcatrina wrote:
According to my obstetrician: Duro-Tuss is perfectly safe to take during pregnancy for cough.
A couple of days ago when I really needed I couldn't find an answer on the internet. (weekend) I hope it helps someone.

Yep I saw my doctor on Friday as Im 31 weeks and have a horrible chesty cough (and getting married on Saturday) She advised Duro tuss was fine as did the pharmacist

I asked both a pharmacist and local GP and they both said that Bisolven Chesty Cough is safe to use. Sure hope so as I've been taking it now for 3days!

Also have a chesty cough and unsure what to take, so I called my obstetrician last night and he advised me Prospan is also ok. Lots of options!!
Sign in to follow this topic