Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Need advice for bad Sciatica Pains

Need advice for bad Sciatica Pains Rss

Hi Mum's

Hoping you can share some suggestions to help relieve bad sciatica pains. They start in my lower back and bottom and shoot down my right leg. They only started today, I am 33 weeks pregnant with my second bub and am finding the pain very hard to ignore. I have tried to rub the sore areas and keep them warm, but the pain keeps coming back. I can hardly move when gripped by these pains... its like nothing I've felt before.

Any ideas to help relieve this pain? I need it to go away so I can get some rest.

Thanks a million for any ideas.

Michelle
Hi Michelle,
It's Nush here! I get bad sciatica pains all the time as I have a bad back and the best thing that helps me is doing yoga back and abdomen strengthening stretches.
My freind does Shiatsu which is a form of massage and that helps ALOT and she gets me to do the yoga stretches as much as I can. Alot of them are when you are lying on your back you lift your hips up off the ground for 10 seconds and then rest for 10 seconds and repet as much as you like. Also you lift one leg in the air for 10 seconds and then down for 10 seconds a many times as you can and then repeat witht he other leg.
I try to do them whenever I can and I find it helps me so I hope you can get some benefit from it.
Good Luck
Nush xxx

Nush,Qld mum to Caitlin(18/8/00)and Ella(24/7/04)

Hi Nush,

Thanks so much for the ideas. I will try the stretching exercises you suggested... you poor thing having a bad back and getting these pains all the time! I am finding the tali end of this pregnancy to be much more uncomfortable than my first... clearly I had it all wrong when I thought the second time was going to be much easier.

I will let you know how I go with the exercises, thankyou so much.

Michelle smile

Hi Maddychelle,

Not sure if I had the same sort of thing, but a had terrible back and bottom pain a few weeks ago. It was so bad I couldn't walk two steps without pain. I eventaully saw a physio friend and she did some great massage and then gave me a tens machine to take home and use. It deliveres really low electrical currents to the muscles of the back (or wherever the pain is coming from) and is easy to use. I used it almost constantly for 4 days and since then I've been able to sleep again and I have not back pain whatsoever. Hope you feel better soon.

Tamba

Lisa, Qld, Mum to be

Hi Michelle, we meet again! Ive had sciatica pains since 3 months pregnant with Jackson and he is now 16 months. It did go away for a few months while I was doing special stretches at the gym. But I havent been well lately as I am pregnant again 7 weeks. So now it has come back unfortunately. I did go to see a physio but that didnt help. The only stretches I found that helped was- sitting down, legs apart and reaching for your ankles. and also lying on your back and lifting up one leg at a time straightening out your leg and reaching for your ankles. It helped me but Im not sure how comfortable these exercises would be while being very pregnant.
Hope I have been a help.

michelle, mum of jackson 13-02-03

Hi Mishka (Michelle),

Thanks for the suggestions about excercises and stretches. I have been doing some modified forms of stretches as being quite big now it is rather difficult to get down on the floor or even to be on my back... I feel like a stranded turtle! wink

I am doing a little better these past 2 days. My darling husband gave me a nice deep muscular massage on my lower back and legs and this seems to have helped a little too.

Congrats on the news of your second pregnancy too! I know it is only early days for you, but that's great news. I hope that you get through it with very little discomfort. So, what will be the age difference between your 2 little bundles of joy? I look forward to hearing lots more from you.

Well only 6 weeks and 3 days now till my EDD. I am hoping to go a little early... because I can't wait to meet this precious little boy! smile

Thanks again,

Michelle.
Hello again Michelle, I hope your sciatica goes after your son is born. Mine is getting worse. My morning sickness is getting a bit better so I think I should head back to the gym. As you said its still early days so I hope its still there.Did you worry like that?
I am due on the 30 Jan and Jacksons birthday is on the 13 feb so it will be just under two years apart, which I think is lovely. Well depending on if the baby is early or not. I hope Im not in hospital for his birthday! How is little Madeleine?
Hope to hear from you soon.

michelle, mum of jackson 13-02-03

Hello Ladies!, I was reading the other day that acupuncture is supposed to relieve sciatica pain. I dont know anyone who has tried it for sciatica but my brother suffered a serious back injury many years ago and when it gets really bad he find only acupuncture helps.
Just thought I would mention it.

Good luck
Hi Michelle (Mishka),

Things are going well here. Madeleine is great, she has been so good latley. She is 18.5 months old now and just amazes me everyday with all the new things she can do.

My pregnancy and I are plodding along... I am 35.5 weeks pregnant now. Heading off to the hospital this week for my 36 week check up and looking forward to it.

My sciatica pains have eased quite a bit thankfully... but only to be replaced with what feels like period pains in my lower tummy and back... oh well, you can't have it all! I did find however that using a heat pack on my lower back helped with the sciatica pains and my new cramp like pains too. I am guessing everything is just stretching and getting ready for the birth.

I think we all worry in the early stages of our pregnancies, so what you are feeling sounds pretty normal to me... I've had 2 miscarriages in the past so I tend to worry just that little bit all the time when I am pregnant. But for now I am starting to worry a little about the labour ahead.

Just under 2 years will be a lovely age gap for your 2 babies, my 2 little darlings will be just under 20 months apart! What was I thinking??? Seriously though I am looking forward to it very much. Hope the next 4 weeks go fast so I can meet my precious little boy!

Well that's all from me for now. Great to hear from you as always and keep us posted as your pregnancy progresses too. How is Jackson going?

Michelle.

P.S. Thanks Calebsmum for the accupuncture tip... will keep it in mind if the sciatica pains flair back up!
Hi Michelle,

I know you have thisnow but just for other mums...try a heat pack...this won't take it away completely but will help relieve some discomfort!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Thanks Nadine,

Yes it is very true using a heat pack will help to relieve some of the pain... if you don't have one, maybe you will be fortunate enough to have a wonderful friend to lend you one, just like me with Nadine... grin

Michelle.
Sign in to follow this topic