Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

'A Show' Rss

Hi Guys

I am just over 38 weeks pregnant and had a show last night. I had a checkup with my Doctor this morning and he reckons I will be delivering in the next 48 hrs because the head is so low in the pelvis and everything is ready to go. He actually said he had never seen a baby's head so low without the woman actually being in labour so he thought i may be in the early stages of labour when I was there and he sent me to the hospital to get checked (despite having only dull aching and no contractions). The hospital said I am not in the early stages of labour but am likely to go in the next week.

Just wondering how long other mums have had between their 'show' and going into labour. I was all excited thinking labour was going to be this weekend sometime but then I read some women can have a show up to a few weeks before they go into labour ???

Looking forward to hearing your stories.

Jo

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

hello i was alraedy in labour when i had my show.
it came about 5/6pm sat afternoon and tasmin was born 4am sunday morning.
im no dr but ive heard that they wont let you go on to long after you had a show due to that protection from germs gone.
good luck and i really do hope everything goes well bye

catherine mum to tasmin and Liam

With my first born, i had the show an hour before my waters broke, i didn't have any contractions and ended up being induced.

With my second i didn't get a show before labour started, and don't recall seeing it.

Good Luck, hope all goes well.

Jodi
Hi Jo,

Firstly goodluck over the next few weeks. Your Dr would know what he is talking about, and if everything is ready to go, it probably will!

Hope to hear back from you,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi guys

It sounds like a lot of you went into labour not long after your show ... I am still waiting (nearly 48 hrs later) and now getting the feeling I might be waiting at least another week or so because the light period-like cramps I was getting have also gone a bit sad

I did a yoga class the day before the show and actually think I may have stretched a bit far in the hip opening stretches, causing the show and probably allowing the baby to drop so low. I am so excited about going into labour that this waiting is driving me mad. I am not renowned for my patience - he he. Maybe I'll try another yoga class next Thursday again ...

Thanks for sharing your stories and best wishes

Jo

Hi Jo,

With my first pregnancy I actually had started labour before I got my show. I had been having contractions for at least 24 hours before I got my show. I then went on to give birth to my daughter about 18 hours after my show.

I have read that some women get their show a few weeks before bub is born. All a show really means is that your cervix is softening and preparing for the birth.

I have been having period like pains in my lower tummy and back for the past few days... a bit scary considering I am only 35 weeks. But I am headed off to the hospital for a thorough check up on Monday.

The best thing you can do is relax and be patient (hard as it is) bub will let you know when he or she is ready to come out.

Take care and keep us posted!

Michelle.
Hi... I had cramps at 2pm on the friday afternoon - thinking it was nothing. Sure enough, about 9pm I had my 'show', went to hospital and was sent home because i was only 1cm dialted. The cramps (which had now turned into contractions ) were so strong - we were back at the hospital at 3am.... and bub was born at 4pm.... good luck!!

The hospital did say that the show can mean bub is on its way within the next 24 - 48 hours, 1 or even 2 weeks. There is no rule.....

Nicki''s Mum, NSW

Hi Jo,
We meet again...
I didn't have a show with my first. From the thousands o books i've read his time around, a show can happen up to 2 weeks before bub finally decides it's ready-now wuldn't that just make all the waiting harder.
Hope all is still going well for you though...
Not long now!!

Sheree, mum to 2 plus 1 on the way (dd 31-5-06)

Hi Jo,

Can't help you out there as I was induced etc, but I just wanted to say good luck and I will be thinking of you.

Bron

Mum to DD 08.08.03 and DS 12.05.05

Hi Jo,

I had a show on Tuesday and my baby boy was born the Monday following. I ended up having three or four shows in that week so think you are probably pretty close. Good luck!

Yvette
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your replies!!

I woke up at midnight this morning with what I am pretty sure were contractions. The first was the longest and most intense, then I had another strong one 10 minutes later and I thought 'Yes, here we go!'. The third one came 15 minutes later and after that they got weaker and further apart till they went away at about 3am. At first I was disappointed but I figure if I can wait till midnight tonight at least (July 1) it will be worth 3K to us. Maybe the little guy is hanging on so mum and dad can get the baby bonus smile
This not 'knowing' when I am going to properly go into labour is making me anxious ... does this sound familiar to anyone else???

All the best
Jo

Hi Jo,

This all sounds very familiar... with my first pregnancy for 3 days before I went tinto actual labour I had strong contractions thinking "Here we go..." but just like you they never became regular and faded away after a few hours each time. Don't worry it just means your body is getting ready for the real deal! Hold out just one more night so you can get the govt. baby bonus too... it will be worth it. Chances are you still have a few days to go, but everybody is different. Hope the next few days till you have bub aren't too uncomfortable... but remember it will all be over soon, and everything you are thinking and feeling is normal.

Thinking of you and wishing you all the best, keep us posted!

Michelle ( 4 weeks till my EDD... but will I make it? )
Sign in to follow this topic