Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Any Ideas To Help Induce Labour?

Any Ideas To Help Induce Labour? Rss

Hello All,

There are quite a few OVER DUE mummy's here at the moment and I was wondering if we could help them out with some ideas to help induce labour...?

If nothing else it acts as a good distraction from the fact they are still waiting, so give us your best and worst ideas... and funny ones too.

Thanks everybody smile

Michelle.
Hi Michlele,
I've been told (and tried) everything from essential oils to jumping on the trampoline, walking, talking and havin sex. NOTHING has worked.
HELP...before i reuse to move from the labour ward door way.

Sheree, mum to 2 plus 1 on the way (dd 31-5-06)

Hi Michelle,

This topic is right up my alley too at the moment ...

I am walking everyday, doing some yoga, tried the glass of red wine, sex, tried the nipple stimulation and even just tried willing myself to go into labour (just using the power of the mind). I have also been down on my hands and knees scrubbing the floors, cleaned the garage out and generally just been doing a lot of cleaning. So far the only thing that has mildly worked is the nipple stimulation which tends to bring on pains for an hour or so before they go away ...

The only other thing I have heard of which I don't want to try is the castor oil ...

I will be eternally grateful to anyone who can let me in on any other secrets smile

Jo

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

Hello All,

The only tips I do remember from my first pregnancy is I was told if you drink a glass of milk followed by a glass of orange juice it will upset your bowel and could bring on labour - HOWEVER I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS AND AM NOT RECOMMENDING IT EITHER... just the though makes me feel sick in the tummy.

The other one is to take a drive along a REALLY BUMPY ROAD...

I'll let you know if I hear of, or think of any others.

Michelle
On the sunday that bennett finally decided to begin his travels into the world we went for 2 big walks - played on the swings chased our puppies around and ate a curry, later on inthe evening we watched some soccer on the tele..... I'd been taking raspberry leaf tabs and drinking the tea for a few months and had a 15 hour labour ending in an emergency c section so gods knows what went on there.... BTW I was 6 days overdue.

moral of the story

who knows what works smile probably nothing - my stubborn little aries man came when he was ready - and in the end my ob had to go in and get him cos he decided it was too nice in mummies tummy!!!!

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Hey Steph,

You got me thinking...

My mum ate Chinese food the night before she went into labour with me... and so I ate Chinese food the night before I was due to have my daughter (I wanted to tempt fate...) well it worked, I went into labour but didn't end up at the hospital to actually give birth till the following day.

I plan to eat a lot of Chinese food the week I am due... wink Who knows, maybe I can tempt fate again...

I too took raspberry leaf last time and this time... Don't know that it helps much. I still ended up with failing to dilate after 2 days of contractions and then 14 hours of exhausting labour.

This time, anything less will be a godsend grin

Michelle.
I'm with you Steph... who knows what works. And of the child is that strong willed NOTHING seems to make them move. Everything we try only seems to make bub more determined to stay inside.
As or the bumby road... we live in country nsw and have PLENTY of bumby roads which I drive everyday. It makes my tummy hurt at the time of driving it but doesn't stimuate labour... sorry!
I am, however, more then willig to try the chinese food. I love chinese...
Any more yummy ideas???

Sheree, mum to 2 plus 1 on the way (dd 31-5-06)

Hey mum's,
Apparantley holding a new born baby works but i'm not really sure about this one because I was doing this on Saturday and also today and all it was doing was making my baby kick the crap out of me, no labour yet.
Nush xxx

Nush,Qld mum to Caitlin(18/8/00)and Ella(24/7/04)

Hey Nush,

Sounds more like bub wasn't impressed... hee, hee!! Funny the things we do to try and bring on baby sooner... I'm going to try and find a new born to hold soon!!!

Michelle smile

Here are some tips I found while surfing the net...

Studies have found that sexual intercourse during the last few weeks of pregnancy can help soften the cervix in preparation for labour.

Breast and nipple stimulation can also produce a strongly contracting womb and is sometimes encouraged to restart a labour that has stalled.

Clitoral stimulation is cited as an effective method of pain relief during labour. While the hospital delivery room may not be the most practical place to trial this method, it can be useful at home in the early stages of labour.

Nipple stimulation is also known to enhance the ability to breastfeed both in milk production and particularly for women with inverted nipples.

Some women are sensitive to the prostaglandins in semen. Prostaglandins are fatty acids made naturally in the body and are found in semen in a higher proportion than anywhere else in the human body. Women secrete prostaglandins during the latter stages of pregnancy both to soften the connective tissue of the cervix and increase oxytocin production in the muscle cells of the womb in preparation for labour. Synthetic prostaglandin gel is often used to soften the cervix and womb to induce labour. Many medical professionals recommend sex during the last few weeks of pregnancy for these reasons.

Hoping this might help...

Michelle

Hi guys,

Well in my case doing nothing for one day seemed to bring on labour for me. Every day for about 4 weeks up to the birth I was doing at least thing which is supposed to bring on labour (eg. walking, stimulating my nipples). On Saturday I did nothing and at midnight Sunday my contractions started.

The only other thing I can think of was that I had two glasses of apple juice on Sat night which I never drink normally???

Hoping something happens for you all soon!!

Jo

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

With both my pregnancies I had no desire for intercourse at all. With my first born, four weeks till my due date I finally give in to my husbands requests and within five hours my waters had broken, with my second I wasn't taken any risks. Two days before her due date I decided I was ready to have bub and thought I would see if it would work again sure enough 6 hours later I was in hospital and was 4cm dilated.

But I have also heard, nipple stimulation should work, but you only do one nipple at a time 20 minutes each side and a hot pack on the other nipple, and continue until labour starts, this releases a hormone apparently if you do both nipples it can cause distress on the baby.
Sign in to follow this topic