Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. What do you do if your water breaks in public?

What do you do if your water breaks in public? Rss

Now that I'm just over 38 weeks pregnant I'm a bit worried! I don't have a car and my husband works a little way away - so what do you do if it breaks in public? I didn't think a taxi would be happy about taking you home like that. Do you buy towels from the closest store - I just don't know! Maybe some of you will have a giggle from my dilemma but I just had to ask.

QLD, due 20 Aug. 2004

Sorry I did have a little giggle, but I'm sure the taxi driver will be fine about it. I was almost born in a taxi many years ago! Someone will most prob call an ambulance for you. Don't worry about it, it will most prob happen in your own home or when your already in the hospital. take care and let us know how you get on.

Jo

mum of 1

At our pre-natal classes they told us that for some women it can be "just a trickle" as the head of the baby blocks the cervix and the fluid can't escape...! I also heard that some taxi drivers won't drive a pregnant woman to hospital - so I would be calling for an ambulance if I were you...

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

carry some maternity pads in your bag when you go out just in case. or you could wear one as a precaution in case its a big gush.

my friend was in the bank when hers broke. and call an ambulance.

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

He he, I had a bit of a giggle too, but it is a very real concern. I was really worried about this too last time around and someone told me to carry a small jar of pickles or olives or something watery and if the worst happens, pull out the jar and smash it on the floor, there distraction created and the water well, its from the pickles. I dont know how well it would work and as it turns out, my waters didnt break until I was 8cm dilated in hospital even then my midwife had to break them.
I hope it all turns out how you want it to.
Good luck for the big day!!
hi
i wasent worried about where my waters would break until i read this!!!
but once again i love your ideas enigma!!!

catherine mum to tasmin and Liam

My advice is to not worry about it too much! I have personally never seen a woman's waters break in public, and with four births, mine never did either. They did in bed once though, so buy a mattress protector! For piece of mind in the last few weeks, I used to wear a maternity pad when I went out for any length of time. If your water does break, the midwife will ask what colour it is, to check for meconium. A maternity pad will show the colour at least. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Sign in to follow this topic