Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Your Pregnancy Tips Rss

Hi to all our members.

Have you got some tips on Pregnancy that you could share with other Mum's? How did you cope with the changes to your body and relationship, and how did you prepare for the arrival of your baby?

Books and magazines are great but you can't beat the first hand experience of the Huggies Mums.

Also to guide you along the way check out our
Week by week Pregnancy guide
Cheers
Lauraine
hey guyz
the only advise i was given while been and i would tell anyone who expecting a baby is to relax, even if ur feeling fine....no books told me to take things easy and look after ur self with plenty of rest....

karen,NSW, mummy to Caitlin Born 14 weeks early

Warn your partner and friends that your emotional fragility is due to haywire hormones and not to take anything you say or do too personally smile

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

Hi kids,

Here are my tips-

* Make sure you read about looking after a baby whilst you are pregnant. Don't just read about the pregnancy and the birth like i did. Don't assume you can leave reading about babies until after the birth- you may not have the time. And by the time you do have the time, it will be too late to implement some of the advice you read about;

* Have your bags packed about five weeks before your expected due date- it can happen anytime (yes, even you might go in early);

* Eat well, take supplements with folic acid and other vitamins. Make sure you take in at least 400mcg a day- especially in those crucial first months;

* Rest as much as you can. Enjoy some sleep ins with your partner, you'll rarely get those again. Go out with your partner as much as possible;

* Be prepared for perhaps not being able to breastfeed. You may have a low milk supply, or perhaps your nipples may hurt. You are vulnerable after a first child- some nurses can be abrupt, don't let them be. And don't not let anyone throw your baby onto your breast- ask for step by step guidance, it's the best way for you to learn. If your nipples hurt in the beginning and you really want to breastfeed then use nipple shields or express- just remember to try and stop using nipple shields once your nipples have healed;

* Once your baby is born, you'll get lots of people trying to give you advice. You may have your mind made up as to what you want to do with your baby and feel that you don't want the advice. Don't get frustrated, simply nod your head and be grateful and pretend you will follow through with this adivice. At the same time, try and keep an open mind, you never know, someone might come up with some useful information;

* It's easy to say you won't use drugs. But it's better not to set this idea in concrete. If you suddenly feel the pain is too much, use them without feeling guilty;

* Remember that you are not alone and it can be difficult at times. Don't feel like a failure. Log onto huggies for any questions- we are all here to help each other.

Just one more thing- having a child is a wonderful experience- i would like to wish all first time mums the best of luck.

Super.

bubsy32

Hi Super,

Thanks for all those great, useful tips.

I'm 33 weeks pregnant with my first baby. You mentioned nipple shields. What are they and where can i get them? I really want to breastfeed but have a blood condition which will prevent me from breastfeeding if i have cracked or bleeding nipples. Will the shields help with this?
Any advice or information from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jenni, mum of Shanaye born 13-11-2004.

Hi Jenni-lea,

You are very welcome and a big congratulations to you!! It's a very exciting time for you and the weeks are fast approaching, 33 weeks, you'll be there before you know it.

You can purchase nipple shields from Target or any chemists and they come in a small or large size. I personally used them to begin with after my nipple got really sore but noticed my supply running low so i now express every feed. This might be a good idea for you if the outcome will be cracked or bleeding nipples (tiring but worth it). Naturally, i'd suggest giving the straight breastfeeding a go first- most people get it right, i'm one of the few who didn't thanks to the nurses. You can hire breastpumps from your chemist which is what i did to begin with. Then i went and purchased a double pump from Target (not cheap but the best $250 i've ever spent). For some reason this one worked heaps better than the one i'd hired from the chemist and i can express lots of milk fairly quickly. Well, sorry to give my life story but it might give you an idea of what to do.

Remember, drink lots of water and if you get sick of that, lots of herbal tea. Look after yourself and if you ever need anything else just let me know.

Super.

bubsy32

Hi Super,

Thanks for getting back to me and for your great tips and advice. I'm starting to get very nervous now as i have 6 weeks to go. Found out today she is smaller than average so i'm anxious to find out if she is ok. Hopefully she will be.

Thanks again and take care.

Jenni.

Jenni, mum of Shanaye born 13-11-2004.

hey i was wondering if its normal to have leaky breasts at this stage on(im 26 weeks) its a real pain. does anyone have any suggestions as what to do at night time other then let them leak everywhere. i cant sleep in a bra so using breast pads wont work.i was also told by my partners sis inlaw not to take advice from anyone who doesnt have children of their own, is that true?

natasha jayde - 1-1-05 ttc #2 end ong this year

Hello Holz,

Perfectly normal to have leaky breasts at this stage. You might want to at least try getting used to sleeping in a bra otherwise be ready to have the saggiest breasts ever after you have the baby (congratulations by the way).

I never knew how much i would leak when the 'milk came in'. Be prepared- my breasts were so huge and sore that i couldn't wear a bra, then they started dripping like mad onto my feet. It's crazy. Baby won't be having much milk those first few days, use this time to express the excess milk (which will relieve your aching breasts, should they feel that way) and freeze for bottle feeding. Bottle feeding can be done by your partner for when you are really tired and need a break or can be used for somebody else to takeover while you go out on your own for a change. The hospital should have a breast pump you can use, i'm not sure if all hospitals do so check just in case.

It's funny, i asked the very same question you have asked in regards to the leaking breasts whilst pregnant.

As for taking advice only from people with children, well, it does make sense. Just don't totally rule out advice from people without children, listen and decide whether what they are saying makes sense or not.

Hope i've helped a little.

Super.

bubsy32

I would invest in a crop-top maternity bra and use breast pads. These have the support of a bra, without the tightness. Otherwise I have heard of some women wearing a singlet with a built-in bra support - not maternity, just a Bonds one or something. Sorry to say, but pregnancy conributes far more to saggy breasts than breastfeeding does. I'm sure some bottle-feeding mums will tell you they still have 'sag' issues! Super is right about needing good support, though. LOL about the milk dripping on feet. I say rub it in and think of it as a foot treatment. As far as accepting advice from people without children - while a person without children may have great advice and some experience with kids, personal experience rates pretty highly in this situation. But people will have varying ideas even if they do have children - it may not suit your way of parenting. Even mothers who have had children 30 years ago (like our mothers) will have ideas and experiences that we will not agree with these days. Some ideas have stood the test of time and will always be valuable. With all advice - wherever it comes from - weigh it up, say "thanks for that, I'll think about it" and remember the bits that ring true to you and bin the rest! Your most valuable resource is your own instinct to raise your children and make decisions. Look for advice, but ultimately trust your gut.

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

hey thanks for the advice guys. im always open for ideas.there isnt really that much information in my town library as i live in a small little town.ill try the crop top idea and maybe when i get used to wearing that too bed ill try a bra.

natasha jayde - 1-1-05 ttc #2 end ong this year

Hi holz. I went to the warehouse today and saw some Maternity Bras. they were $10. I'm planning to buy a couple and see how they go, afterall, $10, if I don't like them, I'll throw them out.
Sign in to follow this topic