Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Visitors after giving birth...

Visitors after giving birth... Rss

So I've started having a think about my 'birth plan', not that I had one with DD, but I think this time I'd like to do a couple of things differently.

Anyways, the hospital I'm going to sends you home between 4 and 24hrs provided everything is fine with you and the baby. Do you think it's rude or selfish to say no visitors at the hospital?? I really want to try and get breastfeeding sorted this time and I would love for the first 24hrs to mainly be for DD to bond with her little brother as I think it's going to be the biggest change for her!!

I know some of my family will be annoyed by this, but when DD was born people were visitng us 2hrs after she was born and it was all very overwhelming especially as she was my 1st and I wanted the time for just me and DH!
nope not rude at all hon! i did the same when i had ds2 only my partner and ds1 were welcome for the bonding reasons and the fact you have just given birth you need to rest up explain all that to family and friends they will understand...
I dont think its rude! We said to all our family i didnt want visitors until we were ready, and being our first i didnt know what to expect, i also had a c-section so wasnt feeling the best.

My mum and dad came up in the afternoon but i didnt want anyone else. Everyone came the following day, my partners step family were abit put out of joint but who cares smile Its your bub so you make the decision!

Good luck smile

nope not rude at all hon! i did the same when i had ds2 only my partner and ds1 were welcome for the bonding reasons and the fact you have just given birth you need to rest up explain all that to family and friends they will understand...

I totally agree. it will only be the people without kids themselves who dont understand, but they will get over it.

I totally agree. it will only be the people without kids themselves who dont understand, but they will get over it.

Agreed with above Poster. Definately not rude. Just make sure u get a picture message sent from your phone to curb their curiosity and excitement!
It is ok to let family know that your little family has priority! A newborn baby will still be a newborn baby when it is out of hospital!
I don't think it's rude, some people will be disappointed as they've been awaiting the big arrival too, but they'll get over it.
Someone I know said in her birth announcement txt msg "mum & bub would love to have visitors when they are settled in nicely at home".
You could just do something like that if you feel you wont be up to having visitors.
The hospital I went to for DS's birth didn't even allow visitors for the first day!! It was strictly Mummy and bubby bonding time. Of course immediate family were allowed, but no one else. I don't think that's unreasonable at all!
Thanks ladies! I don't feel so bad now lol I'm more than happy having visitors at home the next day but I remember with DD soooo many people came to the hospital and I would just fall asleep then someone else would arrive, was very annoying!

I will tell everyone before the birth that way they all know what to expect smile
definately not rude. you are only in for a few hours not a few days. Even wait on telling them about the details until you are ready to walk out the door to go home if they are insistent and warn them that this is what you will do if they don't accept your plan.

Absolutely fine. We had parents only until she was out of special care, then only our siblings at the hospital.

Everyone else saw us once we got home. I think it's fair.
Definitely not rude. AFter the mountain of visitors after DD1, we decided JUST close family for DD2. Most of them didn't even have time to visit because I left hospital early (bloody biyatches they were!)

Sign in to follow this topic