Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Licking lips Rss

Help. My 3-year old has a terrible habit of licking her lips. I've even caught her doing it in her sleep. She licks them all the time so that the area around her mouth (almost up to nose and down to chin) is constantly chapped. Any ideas how to get her to stop????

Mom of two beautiful little girls

She obviously has irritated the skin around her mouth by the licking, so firstly if you manage to clear that up you may find that she might stop doing it.

My son does this sometimes when he has a cold and ends up with chapped lips and skin around his lips.

Lucas' Paw Paw ointment (in a little red tube) works great for me! You should be able to get it from the chemist.

For a start, try not to rub it in completely as this will form a barrier on her skin and give it time to heal.

She might be slightly dehydrated. We do the same thing when we are dehydrated. Maybe up the water and see how she goes.
My 5.5yr old does this and I can't stop him but clear it up in no time by using Paw Paw ointment (one in red tube from chemist).

It's gone within a day or so.

Good luck.

Luke & ~Rhiarna~ 13.05.04 & Ryan 26.03.07

Hi. My DS was exactly the same at 4 years of age. I found he did it when his immune system was a little low and he had a slight cold. It looks very painful doesn't it?

I don't have any ideas on how to stop but I just bought my son a Vaseline lip balm he put in his pocket and I kept putting it on his lips and the chapped area. He didn't like the texture very much and it helped him stop. I also put BioOil on it (not on his lips) and that helped heal it very quickly.

It's an annoying habit but hopefully she stops soon.

Sign in to follow this topic