Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Headbutting and smacking? Rss

My 16 mth old daughter has lately taken to headbutting... but it is only me she is interested in getting. Same goes for hitting...

The other evening she headbutted me so hard as I was holding her that she popped the lens of my glasses out while they were still on my face! My mother-in-law (the in-laws live with us) keeps telling me "it's a phase and she'll get over it." I have tried slapping her hand when she does it, but to no avail... and it doesnt help that the in-laws glare at me when I try to punish her in any way.

An yes, ignorance hasn't worked either.

Debbie@Hervey_Bay

Hi Debbie,

Have you tried walking away from her, when she does it! Try to let her know you are not happy with what she did, and ignore her!

At the moment she is doing it for your reaction, try and be calm about it, maybe!

I do agree with your inlaws, it will only be a stage she is going thru, and hopefully it will pass soon!

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

my son who is 20months old went through the stage of hitting but now he only does it ever now ans again i do think they grow out of it, i use to put him down or move him away from me cause if i smacked him on the hand he thought i was playing

tina,n.s.w mum to 2 boys

hi tusan

i have the same prob
my daughter headbutted me that hard a while ago now that she split my lip and i couldnt talk and could barely eat
she got in big trouble

DD may 03, DS oct 06

Hi Tusan,
I have a similar problem with my 15 mth old, except she bites instead of hitting. When she bites me I put her down very firmly and say "Mummy doesn't like that" in quite a cross voice. Then I leave her for about a minute before I pick her up. Then I give her a cuddle and explain that I love her but I don't like biting. She doesn't really understand at the moment, but it is setting a consistent, reinforcable message to her about unacceptable behaviour that she will eventually learn to understand.
Good luck

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Sign in to follow this topic