Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

breast to bottle Rss

Hi

My son is almost 18 months but he is such a baby for his age and will not drink out of a bottle he doesn't like milk or formula. He wants breast milk when he goes to sleep i have tried everything to get him onto cows milk but he just won't take it. I have tried giving him chocolate, strawberry and warm or cold and also several different formulas but he won't take to it. Has anyone else got anymore ideas because he is too old for being breast fed.

Thanks
Melissa
This post has been edited by the moderator.
Go straight from breast to a cup. Don't bother with bottles. Bottles are bad for teeth after about 12 months and its recommended that babies should be weaned off bottles at around that time (a harder task for some than others!)

He's not to old to be breastfed, but if you're feeling uncomfortable - or just that its time to give it up, then you're probably right to do so. There's no point continuing in something that you're not happy doing.

He's going to eventually have to drink something other than breastmilk, so you could try doing what I had to do, and just keep offering it to my little girl until she took it. (and not giving anything else).

Good luck, but I seriously wouldn't worry about a bottle.

Hannah (3 yrs) and Harry's (born 22/7) Mum! QLD

I put my daughter staight onto a cup from breastfeeding at 10 months I found it was much easier as she would not take the bottle either. also you could even try straw cups as they have a bit of novelty value my daughter loves her straw cup ($2 from Woolworths) even at 2 years old she still loves it, you can also try those wiggly staws which come in lots of colours or let you child pick out their own big kid cup so they feel a bit special. I hope some of these suggestion work for you!

Mel,QLD, 3yr old Nikita, no. 2 due october

I think the other Mums are right about going straight to a cup.
James was 7.5 months when I weaned him to a bottle (diminishing supply + keen to try for next bub). It did take a while for him to drink from a bottle (so it may not be the milk). I offered water, milk, even juice and he wouldn't take it - even breast milk. Try expressing some by hand if you don't have a pump and at least then you will know wether he just won't take the bottle, or if it is the milk or formula. Anyhow one day James just suddenly took it. But it did take me probably 2 weeks for that to happen. Let him play with it for a bit, and just offer it once or twice a day, but try not to force it on him (wether you decide on a cup or bottle). Hope some of these ideas may help, and good luck, don't give up!

Kristina

Kristina, Mum of James 3yrs & Matilda 14 months

Hi Melissa,
I breastfeed my son till he was 10.5 months then gave up once pregnant-he refused it, my goal was 12 months so as I couldn't breatfeed our first I was really happy, he took to bottle easily as it was introduced offen during the 10.5 months, and being a really guts he took anything, but I found he liked using straws at an early age, even drinks out of non spill cups and normal drink bottles, but then again wants everything his 4 yo sister has, he's now 15 months and will still take a bottle. Hang in there,
Belinda

BelindaQld, 4 children (1 in heaven)

hi ,
the other ladies are right try a cup 1st my 15 month has had a cup from about 9 months , the one with a straw $2 from woolies,she is still breastfeed ,she drinks water from the cup, but would never drink formula or breastmilk from the cup, but the other day I put some toddler gold with a banana, some ice and cows milk into a blender and made a smoothie she loved it, so next we are trying strawberry's

Tracy mother of 21mth + 15year

Sign in to follow this topic