Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Really active child Rss

Hi everyone,
My son is 9 months old and is extremely active!
He rolled over, and crawled very early and is now taking his first steps.
I have worked in child care centres, so I know how active children can be. I just can't recall any children that were as active as my son.
He doesn't stop, he is constantly moving. He will sit for very short spurts in a highchair, car seat and pram before getting cranky and trying to get out. He needs constant stimulation.
I was wondering if anyone else's children were like this as babies and if so, what are they like now?
What is their activity level like?
I dread to think what my son will be like!
Hopefully someone can help.
Laura

Laura DS July 03, DD Oct 05, DD Nov 08

Hi Laura

Sorry to say, but an active child never settles down, mine hasn't. He is 2 3/4 and never stops moving about. Once he started moving about as a baby, we couldn't slow him down, he was away! First it was the rolling, then the comondo crawling, then walking and he has never looked back. He just seems to have ever ending energy. It has got to the point that he doesn't sleep much during the day cause he is worried he will miss out on something...... I am expecting No 2 in June and his activity levels is driving me nuts, I can't sit down and relax for one second, it is a pain.

Sorry I can't help, but letting you know, that you aren't the only one with an active child.

Heather
Hi Laura,

Heather just said everything i was about to, so no help from me either.

My only difference, is that my daughter sleeps really well. She is also 2 and 3/4, and sleeps 3 hours during the day, and 12 over night. So lucky for me, i get a chance to catch my breath. Mind you, this good sleep thing didn't happen till she was 18 months.

I call it spirited, best of luck,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Laura,

I too can join in the chorus above! My almost 17 month old daughter can't sit still! Ever since she got mobile that was it... she has cut her 2 naps a day to one, which is a real pain for me as I am 27 weeks pregnant with my second child and find it hard to get a moment to relax!

My daughter protests loudly if confined to a hair chair, stroller or car seat for too long... it is almost to the point I don't want to take her anywhere at the moment.

I think all children have varying degrees of activity level... just some of us has the spirited active little achievers that want to go and go and go...

Good luck with your son, I am sure like the rest of us mum's who have replied, he will keep you on your toes smile

Michelle.
my boys are all quite active but the youngest at 17 mo is very happy to sit in the stroller for ages . bieing active they sleep well

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

My 14 mth old Maya is driving me insane! she crawled average at 8mths but was standing and furniture cruising at 7 1/2 mths and walking independently at 10 mths. Since then she hasn't stopped moving. For example, I took her and her cousin who is 6 weeks younger, to the park. her cousin played nicely on the grass, Maya ran around in the dirt in the garden and got filthy!
I love that she is so active, and she is very tall for her age, but scrawny, I reckon she burns off all the food she eats! But she is a nigtmare to change, won't stay still for 2 secs to get a clean nappy on before she climbs off the changetable.
So I cn totally sympthasise, and I too hope she setles down a bit as she gets older.
But the good things about her active personality is that she sleeps 13 hours at night (has since 4 mths) and also she is not shy, very extroverted and chats to random people when we are out. She goes o daycare 3 days a week, and likes it there so much that she ususally plays up when I come to take her home!

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Hi Emma,

That sounds so familiar, but my daughter is nearly 3! She will find any drop of water to play with, and turn it into the biggest mess in minutes.

Worst of all, she sees 2cm of water, rips her clothes off, and thinks she can go for a swim! Even if it is Autumn weather and it's 10 degrees.

OK, we have taken to putting child locks on her draws, and we pull out her light bulb when she goes to bed, and her nappy is taped, just another few things to sort her out!

The list goes on,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Tepe,

I always feel better when I see what you are going through grin

Taping your daughter's nappy... I think I'll have to keep that in mind for my 17 month old!!

Michelle grin

I love winter coz the button down singlets help to keep the nappies on!
Good to see you can keep a sense of humor Tepe, sometimes I find that so hard.
Miss Thing can now open the fridge, so there goes the milk, jam, butter and half eaten banana. Then she climbed into her bath fully dressed and just stood there soaking wet saying "stuck mama".
Sometimes I sneak into her room at night and watch her sleeping which reminds me that she's not always a terror - they're all angels when they're asleep!

Hello again...

As tough as it can be with an active toddler, the stories of what they get up to are truly amazing! emmy-lou I love the thought of your daughter fully dressed standing in the bath saying "stuck mama" - BIG SMILES grin Just like you my daughter is into everything... in particular she loves to sneak into the toilet and unravel the toilet paper (I mean who wouldn't like to do that????) MORE BIG SMILES grin It is just part of the fun!!! I try to write things down, so that one day I can tell my daughter about all the things she got up to as a toddler. I too like to watch my sleeping angel - to see her at her most PEACEFUL is quite a gift.

emmy-lou how old is your little girl?

Michelle grin
Maya is 14 mths.
She too likes unravelling the toilet paper - almost as much as dropping toys down the toilet!!!
Yesterday we had a little milestone tho, she had a dirty nappy and she went and got her wipes and a nappy to show us she wanted a change! Sooo cute!
I bet you are looking forward to having two little monsters running around Michelle...smile

Thanks so much for your replies guys!
Guess I have an active time ahead of me.
My husband and I have been trying to work out where he's getting it from because neither of us are heaps active. Who knows?
Also nice to know that it's not just boys. People are always telling me that he's so active because he's a boy, even though I'd seen many active little girls!
Thanks again
Laura smile

Laura DS July 03, DD Oct 05, DD Nov 08

Sign in to follow this topic