Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Stressed Out Mummy!!! Rss

Hello All,

I have a 17 month old toddler who has really started to push me to my limits! She is being really naughty touching things like power points, jumping on the furniture and more. Whenever I tell her to stop she just ignores me and when I remove her from the situation she throws a tantrum... when this goes on all day I feel really pushed to my limits (especially concidering I am 7 months pregnant). I am wondering what other mum's do when their usually wonderful toddlers turn into little monsters? I have tried the odd smack and time out in her bedroom, but am wondering what else I can try? All suggestions and advice greatly appreciated.

Stressed Out Mummy!!! sad

Hi Michelle,

The best thing i can probably say at the moment is, she will grow out of it! This has been my daughter from day 1. We have child locks on all her drawers and all ours for that matter (and that's a pain for mum), all doors are kept closed, and all her clothes in the wardrobe are out of reach. Otherwise she just pulls them all out and throws them on the floor!

The only thing that works for me is Time Out, and she is put in her bedroom, usually for only a minute, as this is all she needs.

I know this isn't the response you wanted, but hey, you know me, REALITY!

Consistant discipline will win eventually! Well that's my view.....

Look after yourself,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hiya,

i have posted but it's gone away....check tomorrow

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Thanks Tepe,

I will come back to read your reply...

Michelle
HI Tepe,

It is kind of refreshing to know that I am not going through this stage alone wink Just lately it seems to be getting worse and I am not sure I really have a handle on things! I don't like spending all day telling my daughter to stop being naughty...

Right now she is banging her bedroom door... must run sad Please tell me it gets better before it gets worse!!!

Thanks for your reply,

Michelle
Hi Michelle my little darling has been doing this since 14 months. I too keep all the doors closed and limit the area he has to destroy. Pick the things that really matter and leave a couple of things that you can let slide so that you are not constantly saying no. Try to distract when you see her heading to something that is not allowed or remove her or the object if it is driving you crazy. I kep most of my son's toys away and only bring out a few at a time so if we are having a really bad day I will bring out some 'new' ones which holds his interest for awhile and go outside whenever you can. Even though my boy is only 15 months it has gotten better already. he still has his tantrums but they are over really quickly and straight after he comes to me and gives me a big hug. I just re-read this and it should say he has been doing it since 12 months!! Also your girl can probably sense things going on and the fact that you are a bit distracted and is just seeing how far she can push.

Kelly,QLD, boy 23.01.03 and girl 08.04.05

Hi Maddychelle

I am also pregnant (nearly 18wks) and feel like James is pushing me to the limits. He seems to be becoming more disobedient (if that's the right word to use) and testing all the boundaries. Also he throws crying tantrums at the smallest things (taking too long to get his lunch for example) and with all those extra hormones in my body it seems hard to handle and keep myself cool at times. So it is a relief to hear I'm not really the only one in this boat.

What is the best thing to do whan they are throwin tantrums? Ignore them, or try & comfort them, particularly if they do it after you have just said no for some reason? What are your methods?
Lately I seem to yell at him too easily. Does anyone else yell at their kids? I know I shouldn't do it but sometimes it's the only way the message seems to get through and I don't believe in smacking out of my own anger or frustration but yelling is probably just as bad.

It's the 2s that are supposed to be terrible, so is there worse to come?

Kristina

Kristina

Kristina, Mum of James 3yrs & Matilda 14 months

All I can say is you aren't the only one going through this. My son is nearly 3 and he is a little monster at the moment, specially if he hasn't had his nap. All the things he knows he can't play with, he has started to play with, including jumping on furniture, the bed and playing with powerpoints. I am constantly telling him "NO" but he just seems to smile and goes back to doing it. It is like he is testing me, specially considering I am 34 weeks pregnant and can't move fast. I too put him in his room for time out, and it works for about 10 mins then he goes back to it, so he is back in his room again. And then there is being the monster in town, if he doesn't get his way he throws the biggest tantrum and sits on the floor and doesn't move. No matter what you do, he just looks at you. I am hoping it is just a stage and he will eventually grow out of it, soon I am hoping. I hate having to keep telling him of or giving him the odd smack or giving him time out. He is a little angel when he gets his own way or he is in a good mood. It is just lately he is pushing my limits, I sometimes I think it is because he knows mum can't move as quick as she use to, but don't know, it has only been this bad since I fell pregnant. It is like, you get to the end of the day and can't wait for hubby to get home so you can sit down and relax and let dad deal with it!

Sorry I can't really help with ideas on what to do, but just letting you know, you aren't the only one giong through this.

Heather
Hi Michelle

All I can say is wait till she gets to 5.

Good Luck & try & not to stress.

Bec
Hi Kelly, Kristina, Heather & Bec,

Thanks so much for all of your replies... you really did put alot into perspective for me. I know that this is the age (17 months) that my daughter will start to test me and see what she can get away with. Being pregnant, almost 30 weeks now I am a lot less mobile and quick to move and I am sure my daughter is picking up on this. Being tired hasn't helped either, things always seem so much worse for me when I am tired.

It is nice to know I am not the only one who has felt this way... makes me feel normal and that is nice. I just don't want to spend all day every day yelling at my precious little girl or telling her "No". It kind of gets me down...

Thanks again for all of your replies and good luck with your toddlers too.

Michelle.
Hi Michelle,
I have a 14mth old doing the same thing and I just wanted to say you sound like you are handling things well (discipline and distraction). I know it's stressfull (and I'm not even pregnant). Good luck with the new bubs, I read somewhere that you can keep your toddler occupied with a new baby by giving them little jobs to do (like getting nappies and wipes etc.) I don't know if this works but it may distract your daughter from bad behaviour after the baby is born.
You're doing well.

Ailsa
Thanks Ailsa,

You are a sweetie and you put a big grin smile on my face. I am doing the best job I can with my daughter as I am sure you are doing the same with your 14 month old! I will keep your tips in mind for keeping my toddler happy when the bub comes along... and I am sure you will hear more from me soon.

Michelle grin

Sign in to follow this topic