Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

no teeth at 1 Rss

My son is almost 1 and still hasn't gotten any teeth! Has anyone experienced this?

Em Tmba - mum to Liam 31/7/03 & Callum 7/5/05

Well I thought I was going to at one stage. James was 9 months old when his first one popped through, and then I think it was one or two every few months.
Some people say that the later they get their first teeth the better quality they are. Don't ask me why they say that, just what I heard.
All I can say from my experience is that if James hadn't got one by 12 months I wouldn't have been too worried at that stage, but would have asked the Child health nurse on her opinion (or other parents who had similar experiences).
I'm sure you'll get plenty of other more useful replies than mine anyway!

Kristina, Mum of James 3yrs & Matilda 14 months

My kids have all had teeth early, but my niece got her first tooth just after her first birthday. While my son was munching on lamb chops, she was sucking on toast! It is normal I guess. It didn't stop her eating much, she had great gums. The reason it is better to have them later is that the longer they have teeth, the longer they are exposed to foods which will cause decay and dental caries - even milk can cause decay. If you get your teeth later on, you are less likely to be exposed to harmful foods. (no-one gives lollies to a baby with no teeth! I hope!) It's the same with losing their baby teeth - the later they are to lose them, the less time their adult teeth will have exposure to bad foods. I'm sure your little one will be getting some choppers soon...are you breastfeeding?...ouch...

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

I found Maya's teeth all came together, so you might find your boy will get a whole lot all at once (less teething time for you!). But dont fret too much - I don't think there are too many babies that NEVER get teeth!

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Just wanted to pop back and say that my niece got all of her teeth really quickly too, once they finally started. Emmy-Lou's post reminded me of that - and it is true about the length of time teething - My first son was five months when he got his first tooth, and that meant teething from four months to two years!! No fun....

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

I say lucky to you no teeth at 1!! My daughter cut her first 2 bottom teeth at 4 months, and has been cutting ever since and we have just had the worst "teething" time. She is now 15 months old and now has all of her teeth including the eye teeth that shouldnt have come til much later. If she was older, I guess she would have been able to deal with it so much better. I just hope those 2 year old molars actually wait til she reaches 2 as we have a very happy little girl at the moment.

Sophie and Daniel's Mum - Tassie

Maya had all her teeth at 15 mths too, but I can already feel the bumps that are her 2 yr old molars (when I'm brave enough to stick my fingers in her mouth!). Lucky for us the only ones she had problems with were the eye teeth, and all 4 came thru over two days so it wasn't too long.

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

My twins got their teeth from the age of 6 months then one by one they slowly got them. Then my last baby he;s been cutting teeth like they are going out of fashion he is only 14 months and he has 14 teeth already.
But one of my niece's didnt cut any teeth until she was 2yrs and had to gum everythink and even now as a adult her teeth are all perfect. Dont worry some cut early and some late or later.
Dianne
I had to reply back and say thanks first of all.
No kidding 2 days after I posted this he got his first tooth!! Now there is 3 more coming...
when it rains it pours lol
Thanks again everyone

Em Tmba - mum to Liam 31/7/03 & Callum 7/5/05

My little girl finally got one tooth at 13 months, and now at 23 months has a grand total of 10 teeth. The child health nurse says that children put their energy into different things, and because she walked at 9 months, that's why she is so slow at developing her teeth. The nurse isn't worried, so neither are we.

Mum to Isobel 2, and William 4mths

Sign in to follow this topic