Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

what is your 16 month old doing? Rss

Hi all, I know that there is a post about 16 month olds and walking, but i am interested in what your 16 month old is doing with all general things. I have a little girl called Jessica, she was born on the 3rd of April 2003. She has only just started to walk in the last couple of weeks. She says a couple of words, but does not really talk much. (meaning talking proper words - she does however make plenty of noise). I feel that she gets bored a fair bit with her toys and things - what sort of activities and play do you do with your child? Interested in hearing all about it.

Linda

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

Hi Linda,

I have a son called Nicholas & he was born 8th April 2003. Only days apart. Anyway, he was walking at 9.5months!!!! Now he is into everything. He is a very big climber, his favorite thing to climb on is the kitchen table. It drives me crazy, so I have to stack the chairs on top of the table so he can't get up.

He says a few words now like mummy, daddy, georgia(his sister) car, dog, bubbles, nanna(banana) sock, box, & e few more I think.

His favorite game is peek - a -boo & he especially loves to kick balls around. He likes to stack things up, especially cans of food, vegemite jars, etc etc!!!(he's easily amused). He also likes to draw with a crayon, & talk on the phone(my old mobile gets a work out.) He is also into those jigsaw things that have the cutout shapes & they just have to fit it in....

He's not the worlds best sleeper though, never has been. Does your little Jessica sleep well for you??

Hope all is well.

Regards

Michelle - Mum to 2

Hi Michelle, thanks for your reply. I have been very lucky, Jessica is a good sleeper at night time. She has slept through from about 7 weeks. She does not sleep real well in the day time though, as she finds it hard to 'switch off'. (the curtain flapping in the breeze keeps her amused).
That is funny about him climbing the kitchen table! Jessica does not do that, however she pulls out all of my "plastics" out of my kitchen cupboard (i let her play with that cupboard) and then she climbs in and sits on the shelf. She can say 'mum, 'dad' but she mainly says 'ta'. It is quite cute. I am trying to encourage her to start drawing with crayons but she has not got the gist of it yet. I am thinking of getting her a blackboard perhaps. what do you think? I have bought her some 'stacking cups' it is about 10 cups which stack inside and on top of one another. She is starting to play with that a bit lately. I do fear that she is getting bored though. She does not have any brothers or sisters yet.

Hi there. I have an almost 17 month old son who has been walking for a month now! His fave game is being chased and chasing someone else. He also thinks it's fun to throw his toys from one end of the room to the next! We have lots of walks to the park, where he gets out of his stroller and runs about. he also loves to play open & shut with doors, which drives me mad!! He also loves books and this little photo album that I had made up for him. The fave toys at the moment are this fantastic vtech telephone and the little people musical zoo train. I rotate his toys regulary, so he doesn't get bored.

He can say mum, dad, ta, bub, nan, Jack and cat quite clear. He is also trying very hard to say tooth brush (almost there!) kitty kitty, puss puss, and there is a few other words which he is very definate about-but I can't decipher??????

He prob understands more than what I give him credit for?

Jo

mum of 1

Hi, Sophie was born 26th March 2003 so they are all fairly much the same age. She walked at 10mths, has had a horrid time getting teeth and had all including her eye teeth by 13 mths...just waiting on 2 year molars now! She is very active and is a terrific climber. Loves the kitchen table too! (and my bed as a trampoline) She breaks her neck to get outside and play and lets me know by standing at the back door knocking on it. She loves her shape sorters, and her "bub bubs" that she pushes around in her prams. Her favourite shows are Dora the Explorer and Hi 5 and will sit glued to either which comes in handy when you are preparing dinner etc. She says Mum, Dad, Nan, Volvo (her dad's truck heheh) bub bub, ball, bath, car, uh uh uh! (when she is touching tv remotes which I think is cute) and my favourites..."dont touch and good girl!" She doesnt obey "no" very often and has started tantrums if she doesnt get her own way too! Oh the joys... Her fav foods are peas, bananas, pears, and pork spare ribs! She has never been a good sleeper but goes to sleep reading a book. She drives me mad by pulling out power chords or turning the power points off. (caught her luckily doing so to the freezer!) And she is very cuddly and snuggly...when she wants something. They learn too quickly how to wrap mum and dads around their fingers dont they??!!

Sophie and Daniel's Mum - Tassie

I definitely agree with you sophies mum about them wrapping us around their fingers!! Apparently (I have heard) that by the time a child turns 2 they have their parents all worked out (how far to push etc). The latest with my girl is her 'helping' me hang the washing on the line. A friend of mine suggested I should be encouraging her to start learning her colours, so she suggested starting with pegs. (ie, pass mummy the red peg...) my trouble with that is she is not interested in passing me any pegs, but rather, tries to hog the lot and take off with the basket and won't allow me any to peg washing up with! So much for teaching her what colours the pegs are!! Is there anyone who has 'close to 16 months' toddlers started teaching them simple things like colours? Are they all drawing with crayons etc? Or am I just being too concerned coz mine isn't? (I have not spent too much time with her on this). She loves her shape sorter, she has one where the shapes are different colours and she needs to match up the colour around the hole to put it in. She still needs me to hold the thing for her and to have the 'correct hole' pointing in her direction. Do you need to do that sophies mum?
Actually, one other thing she loves, is, getting into her draw where all of her bibs are, and bringing them out to me one at a time to put one on her - I put them on her as she asks, and sometimes she is wearing about 6 or 7 (cloth) bibs! It looks funny and she is happy.

Hi....I thought I'd add my bit because Naomi is close to this age too. Naomi was born 26.5.03, so she is only 15months, but she has been walking since 11months, and is now able to run. She can say Hello, and bye bye clearly and can also say baby, daddy, teddy (though those three all sound similar) she says 'woof' and "dog" when she sees our dog, she also says in her own way,...thankyou (when she thinks to say it!), good girl, don't touch, sit down. She says uh oh too....sometimes this word sounds like a broken record! She has just started saying 'hmm?" when you ask her a question and we've realised that we say that alot to each other! Oh...she said keys today too, and she can say bird....can't think of any more right now.
We are trying to teach her to draw, but she is still more interested in putting the crayons in and out of the case, or eating them (lol)! We've even tried non-toxic, washable textas, but she is too interested in pulling the caps off to do any drawing.
She likes her shape sorter, but can only do some if you show her where it goes, and she is starting to learn that with puzzles you are supposed to find where each piece belongs!!
She doesn't know colours, but sure loves stealing all my pegs! She knows exactly what no means, but loves to push the boundarys.
She's also starting to feed herself using a spoon or fork, and she's doing pretty well at this too.
We're starting to think about getting rid of the cot soon too,....this afternoon I put a mattress on the floor for her sleep, and after she realised that she wasn't going to get out of her room, and she had to sleep, she went to sleep fine and slept just as long, or maybe longer....so now I have to decide if I'm going to do it tonight as well or not....my little baby is growing up fast!!!!
Better stop bragging I guess! smile
Georgina
wow, it sounds as if Naomi has a very wide vocabulary! She sounds like she is doing very well.

Hi Linda,

You mentioned in your earlier post about a blackboard...we have one outside for the kids to draw on & they both love it. Nicholas just scribbles & he loves wiping it off & then scribbling again. He is being very cheeky at the moment. He knows the word NO but he looks sideways with a grin & pretends he doesn't hear me (so cute.....) but that cuteness will soon wear off me!!!!

I too am in the same boat as George. I'm tryiong to decide when to get rid of the cot. I think i will wat until around chrissy time & then see how he goes. He's such a climber that I just know he's gonna be a handful trying to get him to stay in a bed. I'm actually surprised he hasn't climbed out of his cot yet (touch wood).

Happy playing......

Regards

Michelle - Mum to 2

Hi Linda,
Sophie has a shape sorter that has lots of different coloured shapes for lots of different holes etc, and that's the one I have to help her with..she also has a bucket of shapes and the lid only has 4 holes to choose from - that's the easy one and she has no problems matching the shapes to their respective holes (probably from memory). She draws (scribbles rather) with crayons..and yes, occasionally eats them too. Also, yesterday she woke from her nap and I let her play in the cot for about 10 mins b4 going to her - when I did, I found her with a very smelly no 2 nappy - when I picked her up she said "poo". I was most overjoyed that she is starting the work out whats going on in that nappy!! Has anyone else's 16 mth old started to take notice of whats going on down there?

Sophie and Daniel's Mum - Tassie

Hi Sophies mum,

My son Nicholas has only told me once that he had poo in his nappy. Like you I was wrapped i thought oh this is good, but he hasn't done it since!!!!
When I take his nappy off he will say "pooo"...as if it smells, even if he hasn't done one!
It's such a good age at thr moment, they are learning so much & developing so quickly.

Tonite Nic was in the bath & he had a little shovel he was waving thru the water saying dig dig dig & it took me a sec to catch on. He was digging with the shovel. So clever they are.

Gotta go & get tehm to bed.

Hope to hear more about Sophie in the future.

Regards

Michelle - Mum to 2

My husband wanted to see if we could get Naomi started on the toilet training path, so we tried a special seat thing on the big toilet today, but she only got scared and started crying.....so I think I might let it rest for a bit longer.....I don't want her to be frightened of toilet training! Naomi doesn't really tell us when she needs changing yet, but she can get her own nappy off when she wants to. One night I went to check on her, cos she was playing rather than going to sleep, and there she was in her cot, pjama trousers off and holding her nappy in her hands! Oh dear!!! (It was very funny though!).
Anyway,....better get going, by the way, Naomi may say a lot of things, but they're not all that clear yet....most of what she says, only my hubby and I understand....
Gotta go,
Georgina
Sign in to follow this topic