Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Behaviuor and the Terriable Two's Rss

I have a two year old boy and I dont know what to do anymore well I should say we dont know what to anymore. He goes to day care and they tell me he is as good as gold but when he is at home or with us he what stop doing things he knows is not allowed to do.
Like to day we were at my husbands work and he just started throwing himself around when we had to leave because he didn want to go.
What can I do about this can someone help?

Tracy, vic, 2y & 6mths babys

dont take this the wrong way but do you smack him when he's naughty? ignoring is not the good thing to do. our daughter we've been smacking since she was fairly young a smack to me is nothing but the hand we dont beat her we smack her just to let all those out there who dont believe in smacking their children she is not beaten everyone now days on that topic is pathetic. there is a difference in bashing them and smacking them. now if she dont listen to our voice saying no or eilish what are you doing when we stand up she knows she is gonna get a smack and she runs she is 19 months old. usually when children stay at someone elses house they test boundries to see what the new person lets them get away with. eilish when she is tired usually gets into things other than that she is good. maybe he's tired... dunno.

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

Hi
I do lots of different things, the 1..2..3.., smack, send to corner, send to room, ignoring, take away toys, leave where we are out at because they are not being good.
It now sound like I have very naughty kids (there not that naughty). I have lots of different ways because one way wears off after a while. Also with my boys changing personalities I need new ways at different stages.
It is so hard for us mums because they can be such little angel and then they can be such little terrors. I use to refuse to take my boy into the shops, especially the toy section because if I didn’t buy him anything he would cry the whole way out of the shop. But now I am use to it, I don’t worry if people look at me.

mum of 3

most children misbehave to receive attention. I know it sounds funny but even when you reprimand the child it is still attention. My boy is now six and he is only just starting to improve. I know exactly how you feel especially when you are out in public it gets embarrassing and everyone has their opinions on how to handle it. I can only suggest ways which MAY help. When at home and he throws tantrums, ignore it. Walk away. It will only take a few minutes for him to realise that his behaviour is not affecting you. When he does behave as you want him to, reward him with praise and cuddles. My biggest mistake was not sticking to my guns when it came to his behaviour. You need to come up with a plan of action and stick to it at all costs, even in public! The best suggestion I have is talk to his day care providers, they are professionals and deal with all sorts of behaviour every day. They will be able to help you with a plan of action and it will be extremely helpful to them aswell to know how he is going at home.
Well girl, all i can say, Is it sounds like your son has you and your husband wrapped around his little finger. You let your son know who is in charge. You are the parents... adults, yes. Well let your son know whos boss. Be firm and stern and take know crap. This child is only 2yrs old. "Come on now mum and dad"..... Sort yourselves out the problem really lies with you and husband how can a 2yr old have that much control... I call it lazy parenting skills i am not trying to sound mean really,just get a lot firmer and mean what you say and say what you mean. Try it, it won't happen over night it will take awhile but you and husband will get there in the end work together as a team. I wish you all the best and hope that you will succeed in dealing with your sons behaviour.

joann,nz,robin-anzio

i have 2.5 yr old boy and when he throw tantrums which are far and fair between i just ignore him and if he know he is in really big trouble if it seems appropriate to smack him on the hand then i do and then he knows not to do it again. smacking isn't wrong but isn't right used appropriately then it shouldn't be a problem. discplining kids is up to the parent and no one else.
OK, I HAVE JUST READ EVERY REPLY TO THIS AND CAN I SAY IT IS OVBIOUS THAT 2 YEAR OLDS ARE PRETTY MUCH ALL THE SAME WITH DIFFERENT PERSONALITIES. THEY CHANGE WEEKLY, THEREFORE YES SO DOES OUR REACTION TO THEM. YES WE NEED TO CHANGE OUR DISCIPLINE METHODS BUT ONE THING MUST REMAIN THE SAME. WE MUST BE CONSISTANT. THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO PREDICT WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN IF THEY CHOOSE TO THROW THAT TANTRUM. I HAVE A 2 YEAR OLD AND HE CHUCK TANTRUMS BUT HE KNOWS IF HE CHOOSES TO THE FIRST TIME HE DOES HE WILL BE DISCIPLINED. MAYBE ITS TIME OUT MAYBE ITS NO MORE TV MAYBE (IF ITS REALLY BAD) A SPANKING. BUT MY HUSBAND AND I SAT DOWN TOGETHER AND DECIDED ON A PLAN OF ATTACK. THEREFORE WE ARE ON THE SAME PAGE AND WE ARE CONSISTANT. WE REQUIRE FIRST TIME OBEDIANCE. THAT MEANS WHEN WE SAY STOP HE GETS ONE CHANCE TO OBEY IF NOT WE TAKE IMMEDIATE ACTION. WE DO NOT THREATEN OR REPEAT OURSELVES. THIS WAY ZACK KNOWS THAT AFTER THAT FIRST TIME WE SAY STOP IF HE CONTINUES SOMETHING HE DOESNT LIKE WILL HAPPEN STRAIGHT AWAY. THER IS NO 1,2,3 THERE IS NOW IF YOU DONT STOP.... IT SIMPLY "YOU NEED TO OBEY MUMMY AND STOP NOW" WE USE THE WORD "OBEY" AS OUT 'TRIGGER' WORD. ONCE HE HEARS THAT WORD HE KNOWS WE MEAN BUSINESS. CONSISTANCY IS THE TRICK. IF THEY CAN PREDICT WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF THEY SCREAM THEN THEY ARE CHOOSING THE CONCEQUENCE. THIS HOWEVER DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY WILL CHOOSE TO STOP EVERYTIME BUT AT LEAST THERE WILL BE NO UNEXPECTED SURPRISES FOR THEM AND YOU.
THIS PROCESS HAS DONE WONDERS FOR OUR FAMILY, MY HUSBAND AND I NO LONGER ARGUE ABOUT WHO WENT TOO FAR OR WHO DIDNT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. WE HAVE THE SAME EXPECTATIONS ON OUR SON AND HE KNOWS EXACTALLY WHAT THEY ARE. STILL, THIS DOESNT MEAN THAT AT THE END OF THE DAY WE SOMETIMES WONDER IF ITS WORKING OR NOT !!!
GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS
KATH.

Kathryn - Zack-4, Toby-2 & Molly 1

hey there is no need to yell people are just placing their opions and maybe some frustration out, its all cool. be calm and collective and evrything shall be fine otherwise karma will come back and bite u
Thanks, im very aware that its all "cool" i was just placing my opinion too and it just so happens i wasnt yelling my lovely two year old was insisting i typr in caps lock because it was "tool" (cool") dont stress out i wasnt aware of the chat room etiquite and that typing in caps made you seem to be yelling. if you read what i had written you would see that i am far from the kind to yell that was kinda my point there is little need to yell its all about approaching things calmy and rationally. and seeing as were talking about personal opinions "karma"??!!!

I must admit i didnt even bother, and never do bother reading anything in capitals, too hard to read.

As for the terrible twos, some of it may be contributed to dier. Belive it or not even those products advertised as healthy, can affect a childs behaviour rather bady due to all the artifical stuff in it.

the worst is preservative 282, and anti moulding agent often found it baked goods, bread etc. My kids cannot tolerate it, but it took me 4 years to discover that and i am now constantly discovering that there is more and more artifical stuff that they cannot tolerate, its turns 3 pretty good kids into rotten little brats.

Sharon, 24, Qld, 2 boys 3 & 5, girl 1.

nah with computer terms if u use capital letters it is considered yelling and i was just wanting to let people know. approaching things calm and rationally is all good stress is bad hmm ok (lol) just a little southpark humour. nah i have a thing with karma do things right by others and good or bad things will come back to u in return. im sorry im a really bad speller and sorry if i seemed rude or obnoxious i appoliguise. ( as i said i can't spell).

have fun!!!
Well i will be very sure to remember this in future! I had no idea this whole chatting thing was so complex!!! ill let my little boy know next time hes jumping all over me demanding big letters that mummy doesnt want to yell at the other mummies!!
whos got time to spell peoperly anyways!!!

Sign in to follow this topic