Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Throwing food....HELP!!! Rss

I would love any advice on ways to deal with my 1 year old son's meal time antics. He has become very fussy with his food, usually wanting only yoghourt, cheese or fruit. Don't get me wrong he does eat other foods, but would prefer the ones previously mentioned. He has also been asserting his independents by feeding himself, which is perfectley natural and fine by me. The problem I do have is that he has a tendency to throw his food on the floor. I think it could be for attention, we usually try to ignore him when he does this, as telling him no, was funny in his eye's. I know kids learn to feed themselves by playing with their food. But I'm at a loss as to what to do? I don't believe in smacking and try to avoid using the "no" word to often. I'd rather try a positive approach. Has anyone else experienced this? And if so how did you deal with the situation? It's really not about the mess he is making, it's more I guess about trying to teach him how we would like him to behave at the dinner table. Especially when we are out at a restaurants or friends houses.
Any ideas mum's?
Cheers!
We have the exact same problem! Unfortantly I don't have any answers! I did ask my mchn about it and she told me to just let him do it and not to give him anything else. So if he throws his lunch all over the floor, thats it, no more lunch. It sounds a bit harsh written down, but in no way was it said that way. (Thought I'ld better clarify that)

It seems to be only sandwiches that get thrown, usually ripped up into smaller bits! Good luck and please pass on any tips!!!!

mum of 1

Hi, I totally agree. My almost 2yr old daughter tries her luck at throwing her food about once every week or so to see if she can get away with it. When she does it I take the meal away and she gets nothing else - if she throws a tantie, time in her room.

This has worked for us, as she wont do it again for quite a while until she decides to see if thats still what happens.

Cheers,
JaidasMum24

Jaida (6), Ameli (2) & Lacey (2mths) - SA

Hi, I totally agree. My almost 2yr old daughter tries her luck at throwing her food about once every week or so to see if she can get away with it. When she does it I take the meal away and she gets nothing else - if she throws a tantie, time in her room.

This has worked for us, as she wont do it again for quite a while until she decides to see if thats still what happens.

Also, maybe try putting a large plastic sheet under the highchair to catch all the messy bits.

Cheers,
JaidasMum24

Jaida (6), Ameli (2) & Lacey (2mths) - SA

Hi

My just gone 2yr old does exactly as JaidasMum24 daughter, and I also use the same technique of taking the plate away, if there is a tantrum off to the bedroom. It works for me too. You may be able to use this technique too.

Rachel, TAS (Paige 21/6/02)

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go and see if it work for us. Thankfully it has settled down a bit now and is only happening on occasions instead of a daily basis. Thanks again.
Cheers!
Lynette.
My 20 month old has done this for a while. Shes a bit young for some of the other things mentioned. We have trained her to put the food she doesnt want in the "special spot" on her high chair tray - fortunately it has an indent for cups. She more often than not puts it there. When she does test her luck with throwing i pick it up and ask her to put it in the correct place - she does. Soon i will start to add consequences - i think shes still a little young to understand.
Sign in to follow this topic