Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Feeding your Toddler
  5. What to feed baby after weaning from the Breast?

What to feed baby after weaning from the Breast? Rss

Hello!

My baby is 1 this week, whoohoo I have always breastfed and have never needed to use formula milk.
My little girl weaned herself off her two day-time breastfeeds and I have been giving her fruit instead of those feeds. Now that she is 1, I would like to wean off the morning feed and night time breast feeds also. Do you know if cows milk is ok for these feeds instead of breastmilk?
haha I should call the breastfeeding assoc.

Can I ask what other mummies did when they weaned their babies? I have heard of the toddler gold milk but I am not too keen to use it, what do you think??

Thankyou for your help!!
Petals

QLD

I changed to cow's milk or water for all drinks for my son after he turned 1 as he self weaned on his first birthday! I've tried the toddler milk from free samples I was given, but he refused them, don't think he liked the taste. If you do give her milk just b4 bed, make sure you brush her teeth straight afterwards to remove the milk sugars and reduce the likelihood of dental decay.

It took George a bit of time to like the cows milk as much as breast milk, but he did adjust fairly quickly, and has shown no interest in the breast again, even though his brother is now breastfeeding.

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

Hi - Just a suggestion - Goats milk is much better for babies and small children than cows milk - cows milk is very hard to digest, whereas goats milk is a lot gentler on their tummies (as a goat is a smaller animal than a cow - and calves have more than one stomach to be able to digest the milk, so they can handle it) Goats milk is the closest form of milk that you can get to human milk, so it is ideal to give them straight after weaning.
I have not given my 17 month old daughter any other milk than breast milk (I am only weaning her now) but, if I was to wean her earlier I would have given her goats milk.
You can buy goats milk in both Woolworths and Coles, in the fresh milk section.

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

Hi Petals

I weaned my son when he was about 13 months old. He won't drink anything apart from water. The clinic nurse told me not to worry too much about it as he was having cows milk on his breakfast and eating yoghurt a couple of times a day. She said to offer some milk everyday but don't stress if he doesn't drink it as he gets plenty of calcium from his other food. He's now 14.5 months old and still pretty much just drinking water, however I've found that he will drink a small amount of milk from a normal cup - it's just very messy!!! I always put a lot of milk on his cereal to make sure he has enough. As you said the breastfeeding assoc. will probably be able to give some good advice.

All the best
Jasmine
Hello Again!!

Thankyou so much for your replies. Goats milk never entered my mind, and if it did I would not have the first clue on where to buy it so thanks!!

I am up to day 3 of giving my little poppet cows milk and like Jas's son, she is not too enthused with it. Perhaps she will take awhile to get used to not having breast milk. One thing is for sure I have to be careful not to say "boobie" to her anymore as I used to ask her "do you want some boobie?" before every breast feed and she came to understand boobie means her yummy milk. I accidently said the magic word to my partner while she was on my lap and she looked at my chest in her usual eagerness, poor little thing. The growing changes for bubs can be difficult can't it?

She is enjoying her water too, thank goodness!

All the best to you all

QLD

Hi, just a little tip if your little one refuses to go from either breast or formula to cows milk ... when I weaned my daughter at 1 she refused to drink cows milk. I tried putting a tiny amount of sweetness into the bottle such as honey or Quik etc, just enough for them to taste (as most kids love anything sweet). It worked a treat! I only did it for a day or two until she got used to it, then eliminate the sweetener.

Cheers,
JaidasMum24

Jaida (6), Ameli (2) & Lacey (2mths) - SA

Sign in to follow this topic