Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Feeding your Toddler
  5. Playing with and spitting out food

Playing with and spitting out food Lock Rss

Hi

My daughter is 15 months old and has always been a great eater, never fussy with anything i've given her. She has just started playing with food in her mouth and either spitting it out everywhere or trying to blow bubbles with it, which makes a huge mess. I've tried not to react to it at all, infact i turn away and ignore it, but she still continues to do it. She also doesn't finish a meal anymore and will hit the bowl/plate away onto the floor! She is cutting molars at the moment and i wonder if this has anything to do with it??? Has anyone experienced this and, if so, had any good ideas for stopping it? I'm hoping it's just a phase and she'll go back to being a good eater!!

Thanks kindly
Alison

Alison, Vic, Abby 2.5 yrs, Poppy 5 mths

My 15 month is also cutting molars and is a shocking eater at the moment - it must definitely be teeth!

Tania, NSW - Mum to 4, Number 5 due Feb 07

I could be barking totally up the wrong tree but anyway...................Is your daughter feeding herself using a spoon or her hands or are you spoon feeding her?? Our 13.5 mth old is an eating machine who will hoover any food that's put in front of him. Until recently he used his own spoon ( with varying levels of success) while I spooned in the food around his mouthfulls ( or often lapfulls!). In the last week he has asserted his independance and refuses to be spoon fed. He will eat anything with his hands/spoon off of his high chair tray. We put the food straight onto the tray to minimise the bowl overboard effect. We put a plastic mat under the high chair to catch the cascading mess when his aim is off!
It sounds like you are doing the right thing ignoring the bubble blowing. Its really hard not to react to that stuff.
Hopefully its as simple as a teething prob and she'll be back snacking soon!
Good luck

Narelle, Melbourne, 4 yr old and 18mth old boys

Sign in to follow this topic