Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Easy Healthy Snacks Rss

Hi Mums
I'm interested in great snack ideas for my 14 month old girl. She loves to eat which is a real treat for me but she can be a little fussy with some foods. I do keep offering fruits and vegies she doesn't like because after around a dozen attempts she'll actually eat it but she gets bored with some snacks, like her mum she likes new flavours, but I'm stuck for heathy alternatives. Apart from fruit, dried fruit, cheese (which she doesn't like) and vegies has anyone got any great ideas? I'd also like a health muffin recipe if anyone has one.

Jenny, NSW, Girl born nov 02.

Hi Jenny,
I too have a toddler who is 14 months born in nov 02 and he loves a variety of snacks. But I have learnt not to give him too many because I found come dinner time when I am giving him his meat and vegie dinner he is full from too many snacks.
Anyway he snacks on the little boxes of sultanas, Raison bread, Heinz cheesy sticks and crackers, Incred-i-bites, Goulburn Vally Fruit cups, Kraft cheese stringers, custards, yoghurts, icecream. You are only limited by your imagination. If you like it chances are she will too. I am suprised that he likes so many different things eg The meat that goes in Tacos and 2 minute noodles with the spices. He sits by me at dinner and tries what I have. Sometimes success sometimes disaster!
Give everything a try especially when she is hungry and she may suprise you too.

Jungle baby

Hi there,

My daughter is 13 months old and likes to eat the following (when it suits her)...

Vegemite on toast
Cheese sticks
Yoghurt
Heinz Cheesy crackers
Heinz Fruity Bars
slices of devon/ham/chicken loaf
Milk arrowroot biscuits
Scotch Finger biscuits
Fresh banana (cut up)
Green seedless grapes (cut in halves)
Custard
Dried apricots

Just to name a few...

Hopefully this will give you some more ideas.

Michelle smile
My daughter turned 1 last week and she loves my banana muffins

50g butter melted, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 cup self raising flour, 1/4 cup milk, 2 bananas mashed, 2 teaspoons cinnamon

In a bowl combine butter, egg, sugar and vanilla and mix till smooth. Sift in the flour. Add the milk, banana and cinnamon. Place into a muffin tray (I use mini muffin trays). Cook in a 200 degree oven for 15 minutes or till cooked.

I hope your daughter likes them.

Hey Jenny,
My daughter is also 14mths born 14 Nov 02 and just like your bubba boy she eats all the snacks during the day but does not eat her vegies at dinner time. I figure if she has enough dairy and eats lots of fruit and some fibre in her sandwich we are doing all right!
I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU! maybe we can help each other out along the way.

Contact me by email on:
macenzie@kooee.com.au

Aileen, nsw, Macenzie17 months plus 1 edd 4/11/04

Hi kirstiegai
I just wanted to thankyou for the muffin recipe ...I whipped them up for a 1 year old b'day party on the weekend and they were a hit with everyone kids and adults ...I made them in my mini muffin tray and that was a perfect size. Thanks once again

WA

Thank you for all your great ideas and I apologize for the late reply, like most of you out there I end up trading off sleep or spare time (if any) to use the computer. I do agree that too many snacks does spoil the appetite for dinner so they normally stop at around 3pm and this usually works. We have found a few more treats (or tricks) on our quest for new snacks. I've found that she likes her usual food presented in different ways e.g she used to snack on peas and corn kernels but now she likes her corn on the cob cut in manageable sizes. Her apple and pears are not cut up into little pieces anymore she likes holding her fruit with 2 hands. Previously she didn't like grapes but she's into them now. She loved the baker's delight damper over the Australia day weekend so I guess that's fairly easy to make, scones are very similar. Thank you for the banana muffin recipe, I'll give it a go, I had recently made up a recipe using 2 bananas and vanilla yogurt instead of milk and adding mixed spice to the flour, they were nice and she liked them. I like it when she eats well because then I'm not so concerned about whether she has had enough calcuim, protein etc.etc. Thanks again Jenny

I just found a recipe for Banana Pikelets which were a hit in my house - even hubby took some to work for morning tea!!

2 bananas mashed, 1 cup self raising flour, 1 1/2 cups milk, 1 egg and 1 tablesppon honey.
Combine flour, egg, honey and banana. Gradually add in milk and blend with an electric mixer till smooth. Cook large spoonfuls in a frypan till golden each side.
I have a great tip for these recipes.
You can freeze ripe bananas before they go bad, I freeze them in ice cube trays. Then you'll always have bananas and never have to throw any out.
Jen

Great recipe ideas!! I have a 17 month old who is a reasonably good eater, but healthy snacks...you can never have enough variety I think. I will try these for him. I bet they're a hit in this house too.

TJ, NSW

dried fruit is good you can get pawpaw & pineapple which ir eally yummy my boys think they are lollies!

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Sign in to follow this topic