Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More

some tips for TT Rss

please.

getting real serious with training my 3 1/4 yr old.

My number one would be dont ask her if she needs to go, tell her its toilet time and take her (hourly). If you ask they always say no.

A reward chart worked well for us too, a sticker every time and when there was 10 she got to go to a big indoor playcentre which she loves.
Figure out when she's likely to need to go ie 20 minutes or so after a meal. Plan meals and snacks at regular times to try to get elimination at regular times also. Get her to have big drinks rather than little sips of liquid all day (it makes it easier to predict when it will come out). I found that the best thing was to spend a week diarising what times he ate/drank and when he had a wet/dirty nappy.

Get your toilet/potty set up so it is familiar and comfortable.

Put her in knickers (let her choose them if you think that will motivate her). That way she immediately gets an uncomfortable sensation when she does hve an accident.

All clean-up occurs in the toilet/bathroom. Keep it very low-key, just a reminder that wee and poo goes in the toilet.

Take her to the toilet at regular intervals (agree with pp - don't ask, TELL).

Be prepared for accidents. Give it time. I thought I would go insane the first week, but then it just happened.
yeh see i think she is a lil confused coz she will do wee's and then tell me and say she needs to go tothe toliet. i put her on the toilet b4 and we sang songs and then after 10 mins i took her off n 5 ,ins later she wee'd in her knickers, i just told her see needs to go wee's on the toilet and to tell mummy if she needs wee's but every time i have tried to TT her this is the problem she sits on the toilet for ages and as soo nas she gets off she wee's in her knickers

This happened at first for DS1 also. I turned the heating up in the house and let him run around without any pants on for a few days. When he started to wee, I grabbed him and ran to the toilet. He soon learned that the few drops he did manage to get in the toilet made Mummy really happy (lots of praise and applause). Once he made the connection that I wanted his wee in the toilet, he would hold on until he was sitting on the toilet. There was a lot of mess, but it didn't last very long.
Doesn't work for everyone, but I took the "cold turkey" approach with both of my children.

One morning I just put knickers or jocks on them and told them they had to go to the toilet. We had lots of accidents, but within a few days, they both were taking themselvs to the toilet.

I think we lose heart too quickly when our kids are TTing and expect them to pick it up faster than they are capable of. Its like anything though, practice makes perfect. Good luck!

Posted by: Mummy*s little boys
This happened at first for DS1 also. I turned the heating up in the house and let him run around without any pants on for a few days. When he started to wee, I grabbed him and ran to the toilet. He soon learned that the few drops he did manage to get in the toilet made Mummy really happy (lots of praise and applause). Once he made the connection that I wanted his wee in the toilet, he would hold on until he was sitting on the toilet. There was a lot of mess, but it didn't last very long.

thanks for this tip im gonna ttry this tomorrow smile we have been trying to TT since DS was 18months. he still doesnt even notice when he is doing a wee and he is 3 in 2 months! i tried the straight into undies and the naked thing but he doesnt even realise when he is wet even when he has it running down his legs and standing in a puddle! (thank god we dont have carpets. i hope the running him to the loo will work smile

my son is 2 and 9months - ive tried stickers when going to the potty but he will just sit there - when in jocks he wee's on floor still

starting tomorrow i am going to try the cold turkey approach - only nappies when in bed for naps or out in car - im thinking ill try this for 2-3 weeks and see if we get anywhere - im told he may not be ready but in a couple of months he'll be 3 and idlike him trained by then

goodluck ladies
kel
I believe you have to wait until they are ready. If you try and it doesn't work then wait for a few weeks and try again. No point putting everyone through extra stress when they just aren't physically ready.
When DS was 2 I tried leaving him with no nappy on and he would just wee on the floor. He knew once he was going but had no idea when he was about to go. Unless they know the sensation of needing to wee before it happens then it will be very difficult to train them. DS is now 2 and 3 months and I left him with no nappy on again and told him to tell mummy if he needed to wee and from day 1 he has successfully done all his wees on the potty (poos is another story lol). Its a physical thing that each child develops in their own time. I would say just wait a little bit longer if she is constantly having accidents and try again in a few weeks.

Jackson 28.10.07 and Madeleine 16.12.09

Iused cloth nappies and found toilet training very easy.TM didnt like to be wet and would pull at her nappy,I made the potty a fun place to go to,we even have a singing potty.TM is now 3yrs and has been trained for about a year.Accidents will always happen but dont make a big deal of it just reinforce that when you need to go to the toilet tell Mummy.
Good luck
my daughter is 20mths & we have been casually toilet training her for about 2mths. we moved to a new house & waited for her to be settled in & i introduced the "big girl undies". we went to the shop & she got to choose them & hold them until we paid. when we got home she was so excited & just wanted to hold them & play with them. it was funny to watch.
she wears her undies mostly outside, as there is no worry about the mess. when she does wees in her undies (always) i let her feel it for a few mins before i say "you've done wees in your undies. o oh. you should of done wees in the toilet" then i take her to the toilet & sit her on there, reminding her that's where she should of done wees. she gets changed & we get back to playing.
during the day i take her to the toilet to sit & she gets a stamp for sitting. she hasn't done anything on there yet, but as i said it's very casual at the moment, just getting her familiar with the toilet. she has a potty, but just plays with it mostly & i brought a little toilet seat, but she's happier to just sit on the normal toilet seat.
she runs away to hide when it's poo time... i don't pressure her to go on the toilet yet, as she gets very distressed when i ask her to do it on the toilet "no mum, don't want" & she runs away to do her business in piece. she then comes to tell me she's done a poo & we go to the toilet to change her. she sits on the toilet & gets her bum wiped, then we wash hands, etc.
i used to work in child care in the toddler room, so i have trained many children. some take to it like a duck to water, others are very reluctant to go near the toilet. you just have to be casual about it. introduce it slowly. don't put pressure on them./ except that accidents happen & don't make a fuss about it when they do. if your child decides one day that they don't want to go on the toilet, don't pressure tham, just accept it & wait until tomorrow. it will take a couple of months to get it all right!!!
I bribed my first son with marshmallows truth be told... then I hoped my 2nd son would want to go because he watched his big brother but that didn't work - boys! LOL Then I did what most others here did & after a set amount of time after his last drink I'd take him. He went but it was an enforced activity however it did form a habit & after a while (& a conversation with a friend) we changed tact & made it his choice. I'd ask him when I was dressing him if he wanted pants or a nappy & when he said nappy I'd remind him he had to tell me when he needed to go to the toilet. Sometimes he'd choose a nappy which was hard as I was so disappointed but I had to act like it was totally ok & just say "ok, well let's get dressed then" with a smile & dress him as normal. I found when it became his choice he came on in leaps & bounds & not long after I had a fully (day time) toilet trained son smile Every child is different so of course this may not work but fingers crossed.
Sign in to follow this topic