for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toilet Training
  5. Problem with my little man's toilet training

Problem with my little man's toilet training Rss

Hi all, I have touched on this subject a few times before. My problem now is my 3 1/2yr old DS will not sit on the toilet. Since last June he has learnt to do number 1's ok on the toilet. He for some reason beyond my comprehension will not do number 2's in the toilet at all. He now won't do no. 1's on the toilet.

He is severely speech delayed. But I can still talk to him and he comprehends everything to do with toilet training. I have him in pants as often as I can. He just now does everything in his pants and then lets me know. I say this is yukky and you could do this on the toilet and have no mess. He says No.

I have tried charts with stars. He lost interest. I have tried books. Same again. I have even tried chocolate. No luck. What am I doing wrong????????

Have you tried different types of seats that go over the toilet seat? Or go back to using a potty? Have any major changes happened in his life lately?

If I was you I'd leave it a couple of weeks and try again smile

If it's any consolation my 3 and a quarter year old won't do poos on the toilet either. It drives me batty.
He'll do wees no worries. I've resorted to getting him to tell me he wants to put a nappy on and do his poos in that. He doesn't say I want to do a poo, but says he wants to wear a nappy, then I know what that means.

Someone told me it's about fear of the 'dropping' into the loo. Don't know if that's true or not, but he won't do them in there. I just figure he's not ready yet, and he will be eventually, just to give it time.

I'd get the potty out and maybe ask if he wants to wear a nappy or go to the toilet. Sometimes giving them the choice can help. My son wouldn't use the toilet til I gave him the choice of the potty or the toilet, and he wants to use it because he doesn't want to use the potty, if that makes any sense.

Also check he's not constipated, because that would explain a lot.
I would try when he does number 1 or 2 actually take him to the potty toilet and show put him on the toilet and empty his poo in the toilet and with the wee just explain its to go into the toilet not on his undies or clothes I would keep at every time and repeat the same words and actions over and over
It's tiring but I have found when I had this issue with my first it took a month to get her to stop doing her business in her undies and wetting her self soon followed

Chocolate+3 wrote:
I would try when he does number 1 or 2 actually take him to the potty toilet and show put him on the toilet and empty his poo in the toilet and with the wee just explain its to go into the toilet not on his undies or clothes I would keep at every time and repeat the same words and actions over and over
It's tiring but I have found when I had this issue with my first it took a month to get her to stop doing her business in her undies and wetting her self soon followed

Yeah, I've been doing this since we started toilet training in September. Stubborn little man I have.
I have never used the potty. Its a personal choice for me plus kindy don't use potties either. I seriously feel like pulling my hair out everyday. Cleaning up his poos in his pants is just plain horrible. I take him to the toilet and put the poo if I can and its not just stuck to his undies into the toilet. I calmly explain his poos go in the toilet and tell him to do his wee's and poos in the toilet.

I am now resort to trying to physically take him to the toilet off and on through the day. This is a huge struggle as he simply doesn't want to go. I wont drag him kicking and screaming to the toilet as I feel that would make things worse. I have only achieved this successfully once so far. Only started the other day. He is not home as much now as he he goes to special school 2 mornings a week and kindy 2 days a week but I try and do what I can when he is home.

Nothing has changed really in his life. The only thing is starting up special school 2 days a week this week just gone but this toilet training problem has been going on for a while now. I will also have a look at that website thanks Kazzzav. Thanks to everyone else who has replies to my post.

have you taken him with you to pick a seat to go over the toilet to buy and maybe a little step?? then you could also pick something (like a toy or a puzzle or something) that he is only allowed to have while hes sitting on the toilet.... these worked for ds1

Hi 3_boys, he already has a seat & step. My son is just so difficult in every aspect. His speech, behaviour, sleep. I have been trying to take him to sit on the toilet. Have had a few success's. Have had a lot of times he wont go as well. I will keep persisting. Thats all I can do.

Sign in to follow this topic