Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toilet Training
  5. First step in toilet training?????

First step in toilet training????? Lock Rss

Just wondering what is the first step in toilet training. my son is 21months old. Do I put these new huggies training pants on first, do I go straight to knickers, play games in bathroom... what is the first step??
cheers
karlie

karlie. 15month old two foot terror!!

What have you been doing so far?

I'd say the first steps is getting them familiar with what happens. Get them to come and watch you and your DH/DP go. Talk them through whats going on, its weird at first but they seem so interested its kind of fun.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Hey hi there,
i have a 20mth old little girl,who i will be starting to train in a month or so-(we wouldve by now by are going away next month,and dont want to give her mixed messages)
So u have saved me from starting a post!!
has he had any signs as of yet???
Miki follows us into the toilet and is says wee wee and sits on her potty(though she always takes out the bottom bit of it,which could in future be result in a big mess!)and we say bye bye wee wee!!
which she does now,when shes really wet she pulls on her nappy and have noticed when she poos she hides,like she is embarassed.!!!
I too will be very interested in learning tips on how to t/t miki,
so goodluck.......
and hope to hear from you and others out there.
bec

Bec,VIC,MIKI 16/7/05 JELLYBEAN EDD 24/8/07

well i did start toilet training my daughter in pullups but i found they are just like nappies and it didnt encourage her to do anything. so i put her straight on to knickers . she had a few accidents but she learnt quick. basically they have to learn to sit on the toilet first and get use to opening their bowels. that takes time but they soon do it. normally it doesnt take long if u sit them on the toilet every 20 minutes. thats just to start them off. make it fun for them while they are sitting on the toilet . i sang songs for my daughter when she was toilet training doing wees. i encouraged my daughter to do wees by stickers and offereing a small chocolate but it took more then that to get her to wee. she was a hard child to train. she was wee trained in 5 weeks after alot of hard work and because she wouldnt sit on the toilet byherself and was holding it in so i had to hold her on and make her do one it was jsut about every day until 2 weeks ago she just hoped on the toilet and did one herself.

philippa mum of Charley chicken

Hi

I'm trying to start pottie training my 15 month old - what is the best way of going about it? I have him in undies but he still wets himself, he hates sitting on the pottie and quite frankly it is driving me batty.

hi katey,

sounds like DS may not be ready yet.

i tried my DS at similar age and same thing happened so i let it go.

now he's 22 months and started pulling his poo out the sides and showing me (gross i know!!)

i started trying again today we've had one poo in potty and one mistake so far.

good luck with it

I know when I started my daughter on potty training I put her into the pull-ups and every hour I would take her to the toilet to see if she needed to go and most of the time she did something not always and I have just started to put her into knickers and we have had a few accidents but she is doing really well.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

I would suggest, don't let him use diapers anymore. That way he would feel disgusted and eventually would feel the need to use the potty. It will take alot of patience since he will make mess each time. But then guide him all through out and why don't you try Potty training learning with the animals. It is a fun app. You can actually have a fun time together while letting him learn at the same time. smile
At first I really had a hard time convincing my baby to use a potty. I always had to clean up all the mess that she makes. But then I came upon this app - potty training learning with the animals. Every time I would play it, I thought she didn't give any attention to it, but i was wrong, to my surprise one day she just started using the potty, and every time she would use the potty she would call my attention first and i would guide her to do her thing.
Sign in to follow this topic