for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. waking up cold after geting out of her blankets

waking up cold after geting out of her blankets Rss

Hi, My 15 month old gets out of her blankets during the night then without fail wakes up cold. I've tried using bigger blankets that can be tucked under the mattress but she still manages to climb onto her pillow and becomes uncovered. Being in Tassie means weird weather...we can have a minus 3 night or an 8 degree night 2 nights in a row so it is hard to predict how to dress her even though we have electric heating that stays on overnight. Sometimes that cold just works its way in! I've tried using a sleeping bag with feet only to have her wake up too warm. We've even put a thermostat heater in her room to keep it warm for when she gets out, but you can imagine the power bill. Some nights takes up to an hour or two to get her back to sleep even with the help of a bottle. I am 14 weeks pregnant with our next child and am very tired at the best of times without her adding to it. Please help!!

Sophie and Daniel's Mum - Tassie

Hiya,

Well you really have thought of most the solutions i can think of! What about sneeking in when she is asleep and making sure she is covered up, you could recheck as you go to bed yourself!

Goodluck with your pregnancy, Let us know how you get on,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Tepe,
Yep!! She is checked many times before we go to bed and is always nice and snug under the blankets - go figure. Being pregnant I get up a couple of times during the night for a loo trip and she is checked again then - most times I find her uncovered and tuck her back in but the little worm manages her way back out again later. It's really getting to me and I havent had a full nights sleep for as long as I can remember....the joys of motherhood! I would really like to get it all sorted out before the next one arrives (xmas day!) as getting up to 2 during the night would just about kill me I reckon. Thanx for you advice though. Take care.

Hi,
My 16 mth old has been getting out of her blankets for a few mths, and here in Auck it is really cold some nights so...
I bought her a sleep suit with feet. I know you said you've already tried this, but I layer up singlets and pyjamas underneath, so when it's warmer I just use one less layer so she doesn't gettoo hot.
I put a thermostat oilfin heater in her room at night set on low to take the chill off the air. Yes, it does increase the power bill, but it is only about $5 extra a month, a nd it's worth it for the extra sleep! I also know that if the heater is on, she won't be too cold, and it's easy to turn it off if it gets too warm in there.
Plus, recently I have put a toddler sized pillow in her cot, which seems to help stop her rolling around and turning sideways quite so much.
Good luck.
Emma & Maya

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Hi,

Seeing as you've thought of everything else,(as i did once too!!!) my suggestion would be try a baby pillow. My son used to be all over his cot, & since we gave him a thin pillow it helps keep in in one spot. He realises his head goes on the pillow so he stays put. I got it from motherworld, but i'm not sure what shops you have around you.

Hope this helps, let us know how you go.

Regards

Michelle - Mum to 2

Hi Michy,
Yes she uses a pillow so thanx for that. Last night I tried the sleeping bag with feet again, plus the thermostat heater on low in her room as suggested (thanx!), and she slept all night!! Mind you, I got up at 4am for a loo trip and she was down the other end of the cot and the one blanket that she had over her was no where to be seen.. She only had a longsleeve bodysuit on underneath the bag as I have tried pj's before but she just got too hot. We'll see how this goes for a bit, then I'll think about a big bed (on the floor) as Im sure she hits the bars of the cot etc when she's moving around so much and even that may be contributing to the waking...who knows!! All I know is I want this nutted about before my next one arrives (xmas day) so any more advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanx heaps!!

hello
great to see another christmas buba around!!!
my little one (20 mths now) has never liked blankets!!! we tried everything. there was a few nights where i would get a bit worked up on deciding how much she should be wearing to bed. first thing i did was to stop the using blankets, one less thing to worry about. i dress her in (winter) a singlet, a wondersuit and pjs. i live in clare and we are in the -0 too so if its that cold i will use a warm padded sleepsuit/bag. she does not wake and is warm when we check on her.
saying this, this winter we have moved her into a big bed and adding bedding. it is going ok, she is under her blankets for about an hour or two now when before she would cry and kick them off. which brings me back to the problem of, is she kicking them off now cos shes too hot? still does not like them? do i dress her the same as with no blankets? dress her less now she has a blanket?
i think ill stick to what im doing untill she can understand what the blankets are there for!!!

p.s. i think i confused myself more than ever just then!!!
bye

catherine mum to tasmin and Liam

Hi, you lot are probably just going to laugh at me saying it's cold here in Cairns but it really is this year! My son is a chronic wriggler and I think he doesn't like the feeling of the blanket on top of him. He refuses to be covered. I dress him in a singlet and flannelette pjs or a warm all in one suit and socks to go to bed. This way, as long as I tuck the singlet in good, he stays covered all night and we do away with the blankets. It also stops any wayward mozzies from getting him too.
Hi all,
Just reporting my progress and a revelation that may help other parents. She was getting out of the blankets because she was uncomfortable!!! We were on holidays last week so we used a portacot and as you know the mattresses in those things are quite thin so I folded a queen size quilt and put that under her sheet. For the whole week in unfamiliar surroundings (not our porta cot) she slept the whole night through..that was til she got home into her cot which has an innerspring mattress. The first 3 nights home she woke 2 or 3 times during the night then for the 4th night, i folded the quilt again and put it under the sheet in the cot and voila! She's sleeping through the night again! I cant tell you what a relief it is to finally make progress as we had tried just about everything but didnt think once that her cot was uncomfortable. Im still using the sleeping bag too so I know she wont get cold aswell. Try softening your baby's bed if its not sleeping well....you never know it just may be the trick!

That's great news..........and a great tip or something else to try. Who would have thought....i might try it anyway and see if my son will sleep better,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

great idea, i will keep that in mind this time around thanks for the update!
bye

catherine mum to tasmin and Liam

Sign in to follow this topic