for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. HELP!! My day starts at 5am

HELP!! My day starts at 5am Lock Rss

My son will be 3 in July. For the past couple of weeks he has been waking at about 5.45am. This has now become 5.10 am every morning!! He is wide awake and ready to start his day. He goes to bed at 7.30pm, and is still having a daytime sleep of about an hour (which he still needs) Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get him to sleep longer of a morning??? If I go into him and try to get him back in bed, he starts yelling and screaming, and I'm worried he'll wake his 16 month old sister in the next room. Any ideas???

DS - July 04, DD - Feb 06, DS - Oct 07

I am having a similar prob with my 18mth old. I have a feeling she is either hungry, or perhaps cold (she's a restless sleeper).

I have found that when my little one has a great meal, and a full bottle at night, she'll sleep 11/12 hours at night. I also have bought her some snugtime pj's that are cosy and warm, but they last few nights, it's getting a bit cold in our house.

At the moment for me, this is what I have narrowed it down to and have not yet been able to decide which one of the 2 is the problem.

My daughter goes to sleep at 8.30 and wakes up lately between 5.30-6.30. It makes for a bl00dy long day!

Whenever my boy wakes up earily I give him a cup of warm milk and leave. I don't know if he either goes back to sleep or just waits in his cot for me to come back. But he is always quiet for another hour.

If they don't go back to sleep you could give him a book so he can read it while you sneek in a few extra minutes of sleep. Or if you really need a sleep in put a portable DVD player in his room with his fav movie, thats keep him quiet enough for a shut eye.
Hi,

When our DD started to wake around the %:30am mark and then earlier to 5am, we ended up simply deciding not to go into her room until we wre ready to get up which was 6am. It took a few mornings for her to work out that no-one was coming in until a bit later (unless distressed with a poo). It has worked a treat as now she wakes around 6:30-7am (and goes to bed around 6-6:30pm).

Hope this helps,

SJ

ps we suspected that some of her early morning waking was due to her room being cold so now we set the heater on timer to kick in around 4am so it is nice and toasty for her when she wakes up.
Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately, my son is in a bed, and can open his bedroom door, so he comes out into the lounge room, or yells for me to get up with him. I am too worried about him waking his sister - so I tend to give in!!! I don't think he is cold - he has the doona up to his chin all night, and usually calls out if his blankets have come off. Maybe I'll try another blanket...

DS - July 04, DD - Feb 06, DS - Oct 07

i am haveing the same problem. Kai(nearly 2) is also in a bed so he can make his way out of the room. Our days have been getting earlier and earlier sometimes 4:15am. I am thinking of leaving him and seeing what he does. I am also in need of some sleep!!!!

I am in the same boat.

My 18-month old wakes 1 - 3 times per night to drink milk and then goes right back to sleep. Then at anywhere from 4:45 to 5:25 a.m. he is up bright as a button. I can't let him cry because his older 3-yr old brother is still sleeping and if he were to wake, I would then have two to deal with.

I am having to go to bed by 9 p.m. in order to get any sleep and the kids aren't even both asleep until 8 p.m.!

If the little one wakes particularly early, then he is falling asleep by 9 or 10 a.m. and that messes up trying to get him down for a sleep in the afternoon when his brother sleeps.

I have tried putting him to bed later, but it makes no difference. I have found in the past that if they sleep poorly during the day or get to bed later than usual, they actually have a worse night's sleep than usual!! Go figure.

Well, I hope someone out there has some magical formula that can help us all to get that extra hour or two of sleep in the morning!

Michelle, QLD, Sean Aug 03 Owen Nov 05

We have been having the same problem with our 16 month told daughter. She has a sleep in the afternoons usually for an 1 to 1.5 hours and is then ready for bed at 7pm. She has been waking at 4:45am and then screaming and of course waking her 3 year old brother. For the last 3 nights we have decided to get tough and let her cry (1 1/2 hours the 1st night, 20 minutes the 2nd night and 10 minutes last night) and then she has gone back to sleep until 6:30am. Who knows what will happen tonight but hopefully she'll realise we're not coming to get her. Good luck.
I will have to psych myself up to let him cry I think.

I spoke to a friend about it yesterday. Her 23-month old daughter has been waking early for a very long time now and she's starting to wake even earlier. They have another bub due next month so they bit the bullet and just let her cry. She cried for forty minutes the first morning and the crying time is getting less and less each morning. They, too, were concerned about the crying waking her older brother, but surprisingly it never bothered him. I think the siblings just learn to tune it out!

I will prepare my husband for some crying-filled mornings, and we'll see how we go!

Michelle, QLD, Sean Aug 03 Owen Nov 05

My sister had the same problem with her son when he was about 3. She set up in his room a lamp with a "special" coloured lightbulb (so it was special and not very bright) and attached the lamp to a timer. He was told that he had to stay in bed until the light came on. We all thought she was nuts, but it worked a treat. He did it. She started setting it for 5:15 - 15 minutes later than he had been waking and every couple of days, made it come on 15 mins later until it started coming on at the more respectable 6am. When his light came on, he could get up and watch tv or play.

As I said, we were skeptical that it would work, but it did. Maybe it is worth a try??

We are also up at about 5am, sometimes 4.30am!! My kids are in be early though, usually by 6pm so I get a big break then (until they start their night waking anyway!)I've tried keeping them up later at night but they dont sleep in longer and then are cranky that day. Now its cold and dark so early I just curl up on the sofa with a doona and doze off while they watch dvds until about 6am. Sometimes I'm cranky about it but I try and remember there could be much worse things... and they're happy.

DD#1- 2004, DD#2 -2006, DD#3 -23/10/08.

sara i love ur aspect on it and in the end i suppose they r happy hey.
I WAS goin to start a post on this but it seems i am not alone.
I have a 1.9 and a 2.9 yr old. my darling 1.9 thinks 5 am is the start of the day.
I have found if i go in with a bottle he may go back to slepe or he may just lay there and kick the wall or play in his room. which would be fine if it wasnt all floor boards and noisy. he cant let himself out but he in in a bed but his elder brother who is almost 3 and does not appreciate being woken comes in and scream ' shut up dylan" lol so i have to kind of control it.
If my hubby goe sin he will quieten donw with no bottle but in 15 mins later h is up again.
I am at my wist end. for 4 week snow i ahve tried later bed time ( reuslts in even worse nights and earlier mornings), earlier bedtimes, more food, less food, more day slepe, less day slepe, earlier dayt sleep, later day sleep, heater on all night , no heater, dif types of jammies etc. nothing works. I am about to do the leave him thing. It will wake his brother which I hate and we will ahve to be up and listen to the crying for a few hours but hopefully by the weekend it will ahve worked...
he is getting his molars bnut a cuddle and panadol doesnt help so i duno.

Ashton 13/8/04, dylan 27/8/05, #3 due 22/9/07

Sign in to follow this topic