Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Change of sleep routine in toddlers

Change of sleep routine in toddlers Rss

Hi everyone!
Hope you can help us out with this one! Our normally two sleep a day 14 month old has begun to walk, and at the same time, has become totally feral going to bed of an evening. She still was going down for her naps at 10am and 3-00pm for an hour and a half each, but was carrying on when put to bed at her normal time of 7-45pm.
We are currently experimenting with one sleep a day, but this too is becoming a challenge. We have tried her today from noon until 2-15pm, and we've put her down at 7pm and she is still going off an hour later, despite being fed, watered, changed, etc.
Any ideas or advice will be gratefully received for her two tired and stressed out parents!
We know it's all a bit of experimentation to begin with, but every night has been a battle for the last week, and we are looking for any suggestions.
Thanks heaps!

Kim and Lia Tas

Hi
I have a 12 month old and he has just started walking too. It is hard to know what advice you need? I hope this helps?
I call this time the 'in between stage'. Some days he has 2 sleeps and some days he has 1 sleep. I try to read his signals.
I learnt not to put my kids in bed unless they are tired, otherwise they develop bad habits. Things like if I get them back out of bed they learn this habit very quickly.
For this age I try to make sure there is about 4 hrs between the day sleep and the night sleep. If she is going to bed at 3pm and waking at 4:30 or 5, then 4 hrs from that is 8:30 or 9pm.
Some mothers may not do things this way, but it works for me.
Good luck

mum of 3

Hi,

Just read your post and I was always recommended to put my daughter down for 2 sleeps a day one around 9am (if possible) and the other around 12/1pm and not to be down for any longer than 2pm. This worked well for me and now at 2yrs goes down at 12pm and sleeps for 1 1/2hrs -2hrs. It all depends on what you and your child have been doing routine wise. Just remember that around this age they will start to test their boundries with you. Stick to your decision on what her bedtime is and follow it through religiously! It will take time but it will work. Control crying works a treat for some but you have to be strong. If you have any questions or concerns speak to your clinic nurse for advice.

Nae, Qld, SAHM with DD 7yrs, DS 5yrs & DD 22mths

I have found that the most important thing is to read their signals. When you see they're starting to get tired & irritated then it's time to have a nap. My 14 months old will sometimes have two 2hr sleeps sometimes just one. He's generally in bed by 6:30pm at night and wakes around 6:30am in the morning. I found that the routine bath, bottle, play & then bed seems to work for me. It gives him a set of cues I guess after which he knows it's sleep time.
I also found that if I put him down to sleep at the same time each day, that desn't work if he's not tired enough, he has just played in his cot for close to two hours at times before going to sleep (during the day). So it's important to read their cues without letting them become overtired, as then it's harder for them to get to sleep.

Hope some of this is useful to you.....

Kristina

Kristina, Mum of James 3yrs & Matilda 14 months

Thanks to everyone who replied! It's now over 3 months since I posted that, and Lia is still on 2 sleeps a day - 10am for around an hour and a half, and then 3pm for about the same or less. She just seems to be a creature of routine in the home, which is easier on both of us. She goes to bed at around 7-30pm, and is up at around 7am. I work 2 days a week, so she goes to creche, and this is where we have problems. I suppose it's because there is so much more stimulation and interruption to sleep patterns. Sometimes she will only have one nap a day there, and we end up with a fairly 'feral' and uncooperative kid to take home. Oh well, it must be hard for the creche to keep up with all of the kids routines. She gets so much out of it, that the few negative things are far outweighed by the positive.
As far as having such a regular routine for her naps, I really try to tire her out every time she's up by bath time, grocery shopping, playing, visiting etc, so we seem to be going OK so far. I'd really like her to be able to hang out til nearer to lunchtime before her first sleep if she's to drop to one sleep a day. At the moment 10am and she's really looking for it.
I guess time will tell - I have a friend who's little boy dropped to one sleep by around 2 years old, so it won't be long before Lia does the same.
Cheers for now!

Kim and Lia Tas

My daughter is 17 months old and she has only started to sleep great now and she use to wake up every hour and wouldnt get any sleep so in the end we use the Tizzie Hall method and that is call "layed down method" and since we have done that we have been getting sleep and when we put Jaye into bed we read books to her and I also hold her hand and rub her forehead and I know that works and plus Jaye has a night ligh on at the same time and since that Jaye only wakes up once instead of 9 times during the night.

I hope that has help you abit and good luck and I know how hard it is.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Sign in to follow this topic