Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Car Safety for 18Month Old Lock Rss

Help!!! I have been reading other posts but am still as confused as ever. Am i correct in thinking that a child must be in a car seat until 4 years of age? What weight would this be? and from ages 4 to 7 in a booster seat with Harness? (new laws i was told were comming in this year from the lady at the baby shop)

My daughter is 10kgs and 18mths and we currently have a birth to 18kg's baby seat which I would like to replace with a new seat so the other one can be used for my next baby (Plus she looks likes she wants to be sitting up more). I have no idea what to get, Maxirider, Safety 1st, Hipod Senator one from Target or the Infa. I have a smallish car and would appreciate any help on this matter. Obviously safety is my first priority that is why i would like to know what is the best way to go.
Thankyou
[Edited on 02/02/2009]
I've looked at booster seats for my 2 year old but I have found that most of them say for children 14kg and up. I haven't bought one yet so I can't give you any advice on which brand. Hopefully someone else can give you some better advice.
i think you should go for the babylove toddler rider/saferider depending on model. you get it from big w for around $160. there great even my 4 yr old still fits in it with heaps of room and comfy. you say you have a smallish car, then many of the models forementioned may not even fit in your car. this one fits in any car and fully adjustable in height and recline for each kid. plus only a third of what others like maxiriders cost for the same kinda thing. it also rates high on the crash test safety tests.
Its not safe for a child under 3 and 15kg to be in a booster seat, lots of kids are injured or killed every year for being in the wrong seats for them or none at all. So please be careful with your children when traveling in the car. there the most precious cargo youll ever carry.

Posted by: KD038B
Help!!! I have been reading other posts but am still as confused as ever. Am i correct in thinking that a child must be in a car seat until 4 years of age? What weight would this be? and from ages 4 to 7 in a booster seat with Harness? (new laws i was told were comming in this year from the lady at the baby shop)

My daughter is 10kgs and 18mths and we currently have a birth to 18kg's baby seat which I would like to replace with a new seat so the other one can be used for my next baby (Plus she looks likes she wants to be sitting up more). I have no idea what to get, Maxirider, Safety 1st, Hipod Senator one from Target or the Infa. I have a smallish car and would appreciate any help on this matter. Obviously safety is my first priority that is why i would like to know what is the best way to go.
Thankyou
[Edited on 02/02/2009]

[Edited on 03/02/2009]
I believe the new law is a 5 point harness til 4 years or til the recommended weight maximum is reached and then a booster seat til 7 years or again til maximum weight is reached. Harnessed seats are currently til 18kgs and boosters til 26kgs, though the safe and sound ones are apparently tested to 22kgs and 32kgs respectively.

We purchased a Safe and Sound Explorer for our 2yr old, 12kgs DS, similar to a maxirider but with an extra row of harness positions, no cup holders and no arm rests (was thinking this would make doing up seat in booster mode easier if another car seat was next to it). It rated better than the maxirider in safety tests too and is a better price as well.
We are really happy with our purchase.
Hi I have a similar problem. We have 3 kids under 4yrs. DD is in a hipod Booster 18 to 26kg or about that with a harness system attached to it, & this will be fine until she hits the max weight with it currently she is 19kg so have a while to go. We also have 17mth old twin boys that r currently in car seats up to 18kg's but DS2's car seat is very small & he is nearly out of it in height, now where near it in weight, about 10.5kg now. DS1 is in a baby love that still has one height adjustment to go so I'm hoping that he will be about 18kg or what ever the weight is to go into the hipod booster as I have a spare one, given to me by a friend & then I should beable to use harness of DD seat for him. We recently got a hipod senator put on raincheck from target for DS2 saving $70 but other day found a different one in Kmart for same price I paid on sale. We also had to upgrade to a toyota Landcruiser so we could still fit all three seats across.
If I hadnt of had DS2 car seat given to me & a hipod for him I would have looked at getting a safe n sound Maxi rider as u then only have the one seat, u mite consider doing this If u r going to have more kids as u will have her car seat for a new bub then by the time they r ready to go into something a bit bigger she should be old enough to be in just a seat booster.
Hope this helps.
Sorry forgot to mention hipod senator is 8kg to 26kg so u can use it now as well as one from kmart. Also having had a booster for DD that only used a seatbelt hipod 14kg to 26kg & she was in that at 2yrs I would not buy another one that does not have a harness as I have found it quiet dangerous & it dosent sit properly on her so got a harness to go on it & she will use that until I think she is old enough to use seat belt.
Sign in to follow this topic