Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. Travelling with your Children
  5. Long Flight with 4 yr-old and 18 month-old

Long Flight with 4 yr-old and 18 month-old Lock Rss

Hi we are flying to the UK THIS saturday with nearly 5yr old girl and just turned 2yr old boy. I have sort of got over worrying about the flight, what will be will be. I am a "over organised" type of person and have been doing my homework for nearly 6mths on this trip. I have gifts wrapped up for both children. Activity books, colouring books, barbie clothes for the older one, and cars, calculator (yes true, I was told by a friend her 2yr old was facinated with it for hours), colouring book for him too, and I have been training the youngest to sit and watch Chuggington etc dvds (naughty mummy lol), we are taking the portable dvd player plus Air NZ have the kiddies programmes on thea own screens. I also have phenegan and have tested it twice now. We fly out at 11.15pm so hopefully the kids will fall asleep without the phenegan. Then we stop in HK for 2hrs then straight on to London. Fingers crossed all goes well. My husband is great at keeping them entertained for hours, he has way more paitence than me smile

Any last minute would be great. I will let you know how the flight goes smile

Great I would love to know how it goes grin and any hints you can give. We're having long stops in Singpore on the way hoping it'll help :/

Enjoy your holiday grin
Will do smile We are back June 16th. Will report back on how it went smile

Great I would love to know how it goes grin and any hints you can give. We're having long stops in Singpore on the way hoping it'll help :/

Enjoy your holiday grin
Hi, Most children have meltdowns on planes they are confused and scared as a result of being unfamiliar with airplane environments. If possible, take your child to the airport on a day you're not flying and show her what the people are doing: standing in lines, going through security. Have happy trip!
WE MADE IT!! And the kids were brillant!! We just got home from the UK with my 2yr old and nearly 5yr old. I had gifts wrapped up - i only used a couple of these, i did use some phenegan to help them nod off, we flew with air nz and the kids entertainment was just amazing, both of my children just watched it constantly. The kids got served their food first which was great. One tip would be to take a flannel and a rubber band or hair tie and wrap the flannel around the top of the headphones so they don't keep falling off their little heads. We went direct with only a 2hr stop over in Hong Kong and this was fine. Air NZ and both ends (AKL & Heathrow) fast tracked us and let us board first as we had young children which was awesome. Do take heaps of snacks as my 5yr old wasn't fussed with the air plane food (i thought it was delicious!!) but she was happy with some rice crackers. You just need to bin them before you go through customs at the other end.

Any questions welcome! Its much easier than you think smile
Thanks so much for updating on how it went....not long till our trip in September. grin I cant think of any questions right now but will defineatly ask grin
Hi, we went to Thailand with a 2 year old a few months back and she loved the mini etcher sketcher we bought her.I think it was about $10 from Warehouse or somewhere. It was the biggest hit out of all the things we had tried although it does put your michelangelo skills to the test smile We are taking off to the UK next week and am going to try the presents you have all suggested. Also the airline gave her some cardboard cut outs of the muppets which were a huge hit and kept her occupied for hours.
If anyone has any hints on how to get toddlers comfortable to sleep on the flight it would also help. I found she kept waking and would only sleep on me.
Re: Toddler Sleeping: Hi there, i found getting my carry on suitcase and putting it in front of my 2yr olds seat to put his feet on (otherwise he kept slipping down) helped him be more comfortable while sleeping.

Have a great trip!
We just got back from Europe - 6 weeks trip with 2.5 year old Kasjan, 15 months old Layla and me - 5 months pregnant. Well, I flown once with my son when he was 10 months to Europe ( and I was already pregnant) and it was a nightmare. I promised myself to never to that again on my own. So this time we all went and thank God for that - my husband was such a great help!
My tips -

1. STOPOVER!
Try to make the single trip shortest you can.
In our case we stoped in Hong Kong and stayed for 3 nights. It was enough for kids to get over the flight, catch up on sleep and maintain their routine.After that flight we were ready to fly again - this time 12 hours to Finland and 2 hours to Poland.

2.Ensure you have warm clothes as it gets really cold on the plane, pain killer and some lollies or drink for the take off and landing time for their ears.

4. On a plane ask for help.
The moment we got on a plane we asked the air hostess to dedicate us some extra room if possible. They are usually very helpful and we were lucky to get the whole front row where the kids would play on a floor. When I travelled on my own with Kasjan I asked air hostess to mind him when I was going to the toilet. They loved it and so did he, especially on Asian airlines - they just love kids!

5. Entertainment.
My toddler was happy to watch the movie ( although he hated the earphones) but my Layla was just not happy to stay in one place for longer then 5 minutes. So I just followed her around the plane as she was walking and discovering smile The toys didn't keep her entertained for long enough so on our return fligt we didn't bother bringing any. But what really worked was playing with other children.

Overall I would advise you to stop in Sydney for at least one night, preferrably two - that's ofocurse if you can. Long flights are so draining to everyone, especially kids smile And if you can't make sure you find a playarea at the airport as there usually have them there so kids can play and run around:)

Have fun!
Glad all went well for you. We are travelling Perth to NZ soon with our 1 yr 3mth old. He will be too heavy for the Air NZ basinette seat by then. We have paid for a seat for him but am worried about him sleeping sitting up as he's not used to that of course. We are flying over night and it would be good if we could all get some sleep and also not keep everyone else awake with a crying baby. Will I just have to have him sleep on me or do I take a pillow for him to rest his head on? Any ideas anyone??
we have just returned from flying Sydney to London with an hour an half stop over in Singapore. Our DD was 14mths on the way over 15Mths on the way back.
we paid for her seat as she is way to tall for a sky cot(we layed her sideways to sleep)
Take little snacks, sandwich biscuits, fruit etc. our girl does not eat puree so we had childs meals, some of it was ok but most is suited to at least a 4yr old.
Milk - remember on long haul there is no fresh milk so you will need to take extra long life.
Depending on who you fly with, the bulk head is now sold to any passenger so infants and children do not get prefernce(this is with BA )
We packed a couple of books, and new little toys
Panadol or something like, we used this once (maybe it was teething)
Be happy to walk up and down the aisle let them stop and chat to passengers
Remember the flight does end, and it is worth going through to get to your destination
We just had the attitude of what will be will be and i must say i'm really proud of how ourgirl travelled.
Goodluck flying.

Glad all went well for you. We are travelling Perth to NZ soon with our 1 yr 3mth old. He will be too heavy for the Air NZ basinette seat by then. We have paid for a seat for him but am worried about him sleeping sitting up as he's not used to that of course. We are flying over night and it would be good if we could all get some sleep and also not keep everyone else awake with a crying baby. Will I just have to have him sleep on me or do I take a pillow for him to rest his head on? Any ideas anyone??

I had my little one sleep on me for part of the way from singapore to paris. we had a bassinet but she woke up whenever I put her in it at that time. my older dd slept curled up in the seat. the arm rests should go up depending on the seat so you could lay him down and have his feet on your lap if you need. Unfortunately you won't be able to plan it, you will just have to see what you both prefer at the time. They will probably have pillows and blankets on the flight, but double check. Rest assured, you will find a way!
mrsmum2: I have just returned from Japan with my 17m DD. the return flight was a night flight so she actually fell asleep at her normal time (8pm). The dimmed cabin lighting helped with this. She woke up early, but only because they were about to serve breakfast. She fell asleep in my arms and then was laid to rest on her seat (feet up on me). She woke several times but I picked her up and nursed her so her crying wouldn't wake others up. Then back to sleep on her seat (so I could rest, toilet etc). Basically I was prepared to be on call the whole flight...I would recommend those neck pillows though so you can rest even if you're holding bub at an odd angle. AirNZ has Disney junior on their programming which DD loved- Mickey mouse clubhouse, jungle junction etc. I'm about to do alying haul day flight solo with her and am a bit nervous about that- mostly the queues for immigration, customs etc as she is WAY active. Ideas anyone?
Sign in to follow this topic