Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. Your Stories
  5. single mum and the first date

single mum and the first date Rss

Hi
This might sound really silly, but I have been asked out for the first time since my little boy was born.
One side of me is as excited as a schoolkid and on the other, I am feeling very unsure and unconfident.
It's strange, but I kind of feel as though I shouldn't be thinking about dating yet. I was in a situation where Jasper's dad and I broke up and then 2weeks later I found out I was pregnant, Jasper is now 6mths, so I have not been in a relationship for over a year. So I thought that I would feel better about it.
I know that it's only a date and no major event, but I can't get away from this feeling as though I am doing something wrong.
Sounds crazy I know.
Would like to know if I am going mad, what do you think?

Karen

baby boy, 12/03

Congratulations! You're not going mad - everything changes once you have a baby!
My baby girl is now 15 months, and I have been a single mum since she was 3 months (or longer, since her father was living with me but never there smile) Now him and I are trying to sort our act out, moreso, he is trying to sort his act out, and he asked me out on a date.
Yes, I too was as excited as a schoolkids, especially since we never dated to begin with, just met, moved in together and then had Maya. I am so stoked. we are going to a function at his work, the first time I will meet his workmates. Plus I have lost 17kgs, so I know I look damn good smile!
So no, you aren't crazy, but a date is a major event! Goa nd enjoy yourself. Good luck!

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Thanks Emma, your not wrong when you say that everything changes when you have a baby.
Your right I will go and (try to) enjoy myself........
So it's a new beginning for you, that's fantastic, I hope you have a great time and all is good. And well done for losing 17kg, (let me know your secret).
Have fun and let me know how it goes.

Cheers Karen

baby boy, 12/03

No secret - just weightwatchers and chasing after a boisterous 15 mth old!!
Hope you enjoy your date. Let us know how you go!

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

I am a single mum, also. I broke up with Hannah's dad then found out 4 days later i was pregnant. My baby is 10 and a half months old and i have been seeing someone for the last 6 weeks. I know the feeling you're describing about feeling like you're doing something wrong, i thought that too. I made it quite clear at the start that Hannah comes first, then me, then somewhere in the background is him and that's how it is. He understands that, and we can't go out without Hannah, therefore we can only go places Hannah is welcome, as she is still demand fed. But he's still around 6 weeks later, so if he's worth it he'll stick it out, and if he doesn't he's not worth it, he doesn't deserve you or your precious son and there will be someone else. Hang in there, it's hard, but you need company too.

mother to Hannah born August 9 2003

Hi, I went on my date and he was really nice, but I have decided that I am not ready yet, I feel like I only have enough of me for my baby. But like you said I have to hang in there....... Maybe one day!
But congratulations, I hope things continue to grow with yourself and your guy! Sounds as though it is all good, I am really happy for you.

Thanks Karen xx

baby boy, 12/03

I went out on a blind date with a guy a couple of months ago. Aidan was only a month old, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to go out, but my friends urged me to go out and have a break!
I had a wedding to go to anyway, so I met up with him after the ceremony for a drink. And I tell ya, it was the scariest thing I have ever experienced!!
I knew that he was separated, and had 3 kids, and he knew my situation.
This guy was UNBELIEVABLY ........... wierd!
The first thing he said to me was (after knowing me for all of 2 minutes) was:

WIERD GUY: "Did you know that you have to be separated for 2 whole years before you are allowed to get married again? Did you know that?"
ME: "Yes I did, did you not know? Everyone knows that." (duh I thought to myself)
WG: "No I had no idea. (sounding very very disappointed) I can't believe that I have to wait two years. That sucks!"
ME: "How long have you been separated now?"
WG: "A month"
CUE THE ALARM BELLS IN MY HEAD RINGING DESPERATELY. MY GLASS OF WINE DISAPPEARS VERY QUICKLY, AND I ORDER ANOTHER ONE JUST AS QUICKLY, PRAYING THAT THIS WILL BE OVER VERY SOON

Oh ... My ... God. I just could not wait to get out of there. He had known me for how long??? And he was talking marriage. And he was really hard to shake off; the bugger insisted on driving me home, but seeing as there was no way I wanted him to know where I lived, I put my foot down. So He-Who-Is-Desperate-To-Get-Married-Again insisted that he walk me to a taxi. And I think he was expecting me to kiss him and as he leant in for the kill ....
CUE THE TAXI DRIVER ARRIVING JUST IN TIME AND YOURS TRULY JUMPING IN AND FINALLY, WITH TYRES SCREECHING, THE TAXI SPEEDS OFF INTO THE SUNSET!!

I have never been on a blind date before and I intend never ever to go on one again. Most annoyed at friends for urging me to go, but I have been able to laugh about it once I spent the weekend recovering!
You can all have a laugh now. Hehehe grin

And I never saw him again.

Ambs, Mummy to Aidan (born March 04)

hi guys,

not sure if you really call this ablind date or not. i was talking to a guy over the net for about 6 or so months, we had spoken on the phone and saw each others pics (real old ones at that)
anyway.... a recived a letter one day from America (where this guy lived) in it i found a cheque for $2,000, with a note attached saying "now you have no excuse to not meeet me, come here for the weekend and have some fun" well i did and now we are happily married with a beautiful 4.5 month old little boy.
I never would have thought that i could be so happy with someone whom i had hardley even known, well i had never met them personally until i did the most frightening thing in my life, getting on a plane.
the moral to the story, don't shut door which might open the next chapter in your life.

Aleks, SA, 5yr old girl, 9yr old boy&bubs 10.4.04

wow. i would be way too scared to do anythimg like that.but your gut feeling must have been ok or u probly would never have done it. :S

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Sign in to follow this topic