Huggies Forum

New Title for Mothers Rss

Hello I found this in my emails. I thought we could all appreciate it.

A woman named Emily, renewing her driver's license at the County Clerk's
office, was asked by the woman recorder to state her occupation.

She hesitated, uncertain how to classify herself. "What I mean is,"
explained the recorder, "do you have a job, or are you just a ......?"

Of course I have a job," snapped Emily. "I'm a mother."

We don't list 'mother' as an occupation...'housewife' covers it," said the recorder emphatically.

I forgot all about her story until one day I found myself in the same situation, this time at our own
Town Hall.

The Clerk was obviously a career woman, poised, efficient, and possessed of a high sounding
title like, "Official Interrogator" or "Town Registrar."

"What is your occupation?" she probed.

What made me say it, I do not know. The words simply popped out."I'm a Research Associate in the
field of Child Development and Human Relations."

The clerk paused, ball-point pen frozen in midair, and looked up as though she had not heard right.

I repeated the title slowly, emphasizing the most significant words. Then I stared with wonder as my
pronouncement was written in bold, black ink on
the official questionnaire.

"Might I ask," said the clerk with new interest, "just what you do in your field?"
Coolly, without any trace of fluster in my voice, I heard myself reply,

I have a continuing program of research, (what mother doesn't), in the laboratory and
in the field, (normally I would have said indoors and out).
I'm working for my Masters, (the whole darned family), and already have
four credits, (all daughters). Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities,
(any mother care to disagree?) and I often
work 14 hours a day, (24 is more like it).
But the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers and the rewards are more of
a satisfaction rather than just money."

There was an increasing note of respect in the clerk's voice as she completed the form, stood up,
and personally ushered me to the door.

As I drove into our driveway, buoyed up by my glamorous new career, I was
greeted by my lab assistants - ages 13, 7, and 3. Upstairs I could hear
our new experimental model, (a 6 month old baby), in the child-development program,
testing out a new vocal pattern.

I felt triumphant! I had scored a beat on bureaucracy! And I had gone on the official records
as someone more distinguished and indispensable to mankind than "just another mother."

Motherhood.....What a glorious career! Especially when there's a title on the door.

Does this make grandmothers "Senior Research Associates in the field of
Child Development and Human Relations" and great grandmothers Executive
Senior Research Associates"? I think so!!! I also think it makes Aunts
"Associate Research Assistants."

Please send this to another Mother, Grandmother, Aunt, and other friends
you
know! They will be delighted with their "new" position in life!
Hi

That is so true!

Well done & well said!

Thanks for the laugh

Bec

P.S I will definatly pass this on to all my friends that are mothers.
Hi Bec you are very welcome. I think its sad we tend to put ourself down when we become fulltime mothers. I must admit when I wasnt working I did the same. Dont really know why when I was much busier than I am now!. I even get a lunch break now when I didnt being a F/T mum.

Its good to know someone else appreciates my sense of humour!

Hope you are having a great day!

Janeen
Just the boost this mummy needed. I get so fed up with being called a "housewife' or my job description as 'home duties'... as a full time mum to one with another due in 6 weeks, all I can say is that this has been the busiest and most rewarding time in my whole life!

Michelle.

Well Done to the genius who wrote this...
just tell everyone that you are a "Domestic Engioneer"

Kylie

Hi Janeen!

What a great topic!! I find everone classes it as 'Home-duties' like it's nothing! And the way I find the say it is so degrading too...makes me feel so low!

It makes me so mad and sad to think that all the work and endless hours of being a mum is looked down upon as being the most useless job...that is the feeling I get from some people! Some people think full-time mum's are just full-time mum's to get the tax payers money and I know that happens as I have come across a few in my time, but I am not one of them! My hubby works sometimes 10 days in a row and pays so much tax...he pays more tax then I get in FAS payments! He sees it as he's paying me to stay home and be a full-mum and wife, just goes through the government first!

I think some people need to start thinking more highly of mothers...whether full-time or not as mother go through so much for their children...and how do they think they got here in the first place....don't they know the stork story is fake?

We need to tell ourselves everyday...I am a great mum and I am priceless!!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Hey mum78, Just after I had Caleb had to go to my physio (got so stressed out trying to breast feed I was in knots). She asked how I was going and I said "Man this mummy stuff is hard work" She laughed saying why to you think I work? Who do you think the crazy one is? The lady who gives her all 24/7 to another person for very little thanks or the lady who gets out of the house and has time to herself?? At the time I couldnt actually see the whole picture of what she was saying but I was only new and had no idea what I was in for!

Being a mother is the hardest job I have even done. The sleep deprivation and the constant demanding and work is unbelievable. I thought I know what not sleeping was but man I was just kidding myself.

Hey dont get me wrong I love my son and enjoy my time with him but it is a job that looks so easy from the outside. Hey how hard could it be to look after someone so small............right????

Its very sad the fulltime mothers dont get the full credit they deserve!! I read once a break down of the job classification for being a mother and the wage you would have to pay......an eye opener.

I love your saying mum78 " I am a great mum and I am priceless" so very very true.

Hey Janeen,

All I can say is "Ditto!"...

I love being a mum too.

..."I am a great mum and I am priceless"...

Can somebody remind me that the next time I am feeling sad and blue?

Michelle.
When my husband had to fill in his personal details for his new position at work he had to list my occupation. (next of kin information). He put my occupation down as DOMESTIC GODDESS! The company didn't even blink and now I am officially listed as a domestic goddess if I need to be contacted. I love being seen as a Goddess by my hubby among the everyday drudgery of Farex, Folding and Fisher Price!! Even if he does come home to a very UN- Nigella household some days!

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Hi Janeen,

I have learnt tonight, not to read your posts late at night! smile How true it is, I have gone from the beaurocratic look at Mothers, to total and utter respect for all who do it, I have a better appreciation for my Mum (also after having read all the I will not do as my mother dids) and have forwarded her a copy of above.
Nyrrek, how precious of your hubby that he listed you as a goddess, I am going to let my husband know this in the morning! A little hint hint nudge nudge! Mind you, he is precious himself, he is a great support. I just like to tease him a bit.

Amanda

Jennifer 14.04.98, Eric 25.02.04, Gabriel 25.07.05

Hahahaha Well Done !!!

Cassie,NSW, Blair 27/9/01, Mackenzie 19/5/04

Sign in to follow this topic