Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. Reviews
  5. Money Saving Ideas - Product Reviews

Money Saving Ideas - Product Reviews Rss

Hi Guys

As I was cleaning up the kitchen tonight using a new product I bought from Aldi's I had a bit of a brain Wave - why not start a post where we can share information about "home brand" "no name" generic type products that we have found to be really great (or even the other side - totally crappy)

That way hopefully we can avoid that dilema in the supermarket about whether to buy a product or not just because its a bit cheaper - then we can think back to this post... hey such and such has tried it and reckons its ok - so I'll give it a try.

Anyway thats what I was thinking tonight smile

So here it goes

From Aldi's - not sure of the specific brand name but it is a JIF type product the white squirty paste stuff. Anyhoo I found it pretty good def got rid of coffee rings and things that the sprays weren't budging - does take quite a few rinses to get all the chalky residue but worth it for the end result.

Phew what a big post.

Hope to get some product reviews from you all soon

Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Hi Steph what a fantastic idea. I spend 3 hours staring at products wondering what to do!! I'm sure I will think of heaps eventually but I just wanted to reply as I am really excited about this post (yes I am weird and have no life) I get the woolies homebrand dishwasher powder and rinse aid and find that these work really well. Coles homebrand choc chip muesli bars are totally gross and disgusting. Can't wait to hear from others.

Kelly,QLD, boy 23.01.03 and girl 08.04.05

Hi Steph
Great idea.
My son recently had a slight flu virus that resulted in a bit of congestion. I was tossing up on whether or not to buy a vapouriser as money was a bit tight and we really couldn't afford the $50 to buy one. So instead I bought a Breath Ezi, they've been advertised on telly recently and work similarly to the plug in room deodorisers. I noticed a huge difference in my son within 24 hours.
They cost about $16 for the unit, refils are about $11 and they have 3 strength settings. An on the lowest setting being run for 10 hours a day it would last you 100 days. To switch off just turn the switch off at the wall. I even convinced my SIL to get one as a vapouriser wasn't working on my niece and she noticed a difference within the hour with Emilee's breathing.
You can get them at the supermarket or the chemist.
Kristy

member since 2004

Woolies homebrand margarine (in the black and white tub) is milk free, great for my daughter who is allergic. Here in NZ I have to buy the expensive brands as the cheap ones all have milk.
Don't buy Homebrand baked beans or canned spaghetti - yucky yucky yucky!!

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Brilliant idea! Im always on the lookout for cheaper alternatives. lLike coles farmland mint slice buscuits are really nice if you like the arnotts brand. It is half the price. And farmland thick 2 ply paper towells are good too and the loo paper is good( persona brand ) and the persona whitening toothpaste is good too at $1.99. as is the persona cotton wool eye pads to clean eye make up. Gee you would think I work at coles but really it is trying to maximise what I get for my money or lack of! Keep the suggestions coming oh i just remembered the coles brand of chocolate coated ice cream blocks and farmland vanilla ice cream are really good too. I will shut up now.

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

Bilo swiss cheese is yummy and about $1 cheaper!!!

Great idea Steph,

Can i add something on the opposite side of this!

Don't buy the Reliance 300m gladwrap!! It is fiddly and dangerous. There is nothing wring with the plastic itself, i have always used Reliance, it's the stupid big box!

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi guys. I have used the reliance glad wrap( not the 300m one) and it is good, but the reliance aluminium foil isnt good . It is really flimsy and breaks.

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

Ta JZ,

as that would have been my next mistake........

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Tepe

Have you seen in the $2 shops you can get a plastic wrap cutter that attaches to the box - maybe this will help with your big silly box problem?

This post is a great idea!! Do not buy Woolworths homebrand Spaghetti sauce - it is too watery and runny. Bi-Lo brand vanilla ice-cream is quite nice however, rather creamy and smooth.

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

Home brand choc honeycomb is pretty good
the choc is similar to violet crumble but the inside is more like a crunchie yummmmmmmm

Sign in to follow this topic