Huggies Forum

Digital Cameras - Need advice Rss

Hi everyone,
We're planning on buying a digital camera in the next few weeks. My hubby and I don't really know the first thing about them (or much about technology in general!!!), so I was hoping for some advice here.
We want something that is easy to use, but we also want really good quality photos.
We had decided to go with the Canon Powershot A75 which seems to have everything we need, but it only has 3.2 megapixels. My brother tells us that for good quality pictures we need to get something with more mp's. We don't really want to spend more than $500.
Does anyone have this particular camera? If so, are you happy with it? Or can anyone tell me what brand / type of digital camera you have; how much it cost, what features it has and whether or not you're happy with it.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Hi

I think 3.2 mp is fine, we have a sony dsc-p72 it costs around $600 now, we brought it for $1000 1.5years ago and it takes excellent photos and its only 3.2mp. My parents brought a fugi with 5mp and it uses alot more batteries (which are rechargeable). It all depends on where you get your photos developed, we found that our home printer wasnt very clear but the photos come out really good from a photo place like KODAK. We mostly just leave them on the computer or save them to a disk and look at them on the DVD. we brought a new memory stick for our camera so now we can take about 200 photos or 8 mins of video. It came with a memory stick to take 12 photos which is standard.

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

We have a Dolphin 2.0 Megapixel Digital Camera. When we bought it we didn't have much cash spare and we only paid $159 for it from Dick Smith Electronics. We find the quality of the photos is pretty good, but as mummyto1 does, we mainly leave ours on the computer. We have had some printed at Big W for family members and they turned out very clear.
Hope this helps a little grin

Sam, Brissie Mum DD 13, DS 10, DS 5 & DS 5 months

hello,
i dont know about brands or prices but we have a Lumix 4.0 pixels, and a few mem cards, but i found the more pixels you have set on the camra the less photos that fit on a card. we have our camra set at about 3.2 , 3.4 .
we also ran into a problem with printing them, i dont know if the prices are the same in the city, but in the sticks it costs about $4.95 per print (normal size) i will not pay that, so we have a printing set up at home. it is not as good as you would get from a shop but if we want good photos or bigger photos we will take them to Kodak.
sorry i couldnt help with styles or pricing but the prices change so often who can keep up!!

catherine mum to tasmin and Liam

Hi Michelle,
We have a kodak Easy share dx4900, it's 4 megapixels and we take lots of photos and blow them up and the quality is really good, we payed $600 for our camera, case, batteries and memory stick, last may, we have now seen Kodak 5 and 6 megapixel cameras for around $400, they say kodak are the best for digital cameras cos they have been in the market longer and are advancing quicker than any other company. Both my mum and dad have brought olympus ones and they not as good as ours, Kodak are easy to use and easy to find parts for. good luck with it all. Where abouts in Vic are you? because we know lots of cheap places for digital cameras.
Mandy.

2 cuties 7/5/99 & 8/9/04

Hi,

We just bought a Fuji FinePix 5000 for $599 with free charger from Harvey Norman. This camera is really easy to use and prints off great photos. It is a 3.2mp but can be upped to 6.4mp if you want but we just leave it at 3.2 as they photos turn out such a great quality...no need for them to be higher!
My father-in-law has a kodak easy share which is even simpler to use and is a 3.1mp and cost him just under $300 about 6 months ago and also prints out great quality photos!

Hop you find the one you want! Take care

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Forgot to add...it also came with a memory card which help about 20 odd photos but bought a bigger care (256) and it takes 325 photos on 3.2mp. It is always good to buy a bigger memory card so you can take it away and not have to worry about running out of room for photos! We also bought a good printer that does excellent photos, a hp photo smart 7960. You don't even need to be connected to the computer to see your photos or print them off and you can crop and all that on it too!

Good luck in finding a camera and let us know which one you pick!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Thanks everyone for your advice & feedback so far; it is very much appeciated. I think we'll go with 3.2 megapixels as it sounds like the quality of the pictures will be fine. We're still deciding which brand, etc....so any more advice would be great.
To Mandy, who said you know of places for cheap digital cameras in Vic....we live in the Knox area (SE Melbourne), so if you know of any places near us that have them cheap, this would be great!!
Thanks again and keep the suggestions rolling in!!
Catharine,
I spoke to a lady at rabbit today about printing normal size pictures from either disc or card. She told me it was about $2.00 per photos but the more photos you got the cheaper it got. I've got a few shopper-dockets from rabbit and they've got them at 59c a picture with no limit on how many you get.

To Michelle
we have afriend who is a photographer and he sais that you don't really need any more than 3mp, but he changes his lenses. 3mega pixels is quite good, our camera only has 2 megapixels and provided we don't blow it up bigger than an A4 piece of paper it won't become too grainy. I've taken some nice shots on our and got them printed out A4 size and they look really good. People like them more than Liams proffesional portraits he got done.
Kristy

member since 2004

Just a quick note, talking about prices of Digital camera prints. Big W here do them for 49cents each and you can also order them online and nominate a store to pick them up at, in your area.

Sam, Brissie Mum DD 13, DS 10, DS 5 & DS 5 months

Michelle,

We have the Canon Powershot A80. It's a little better than the A75. It has four megapixels. There's a company called "Club Discounts" (http://www.clubdiscounts.com.au) which is based in Sydney, but we found them the cheapest for our camera and accessories which we bought last October. You can call them and they will ring Canon and find out the best price they can get for you for the particular item you want. I would imagine that they could ship to Victoria easily enough. It was a cash on delivery purchase too, so we thought that was good.

Our camera is really good. My sister in law has the A70 which also has 3.2 megapixels, and she has no trouble with that....the clarity of their photos seem as good as ours. We are yet to get a really good photo printer, but are planning on getting one later this year. We're going for a Canon photo printer too...I just can't remember which one my hubby is trying to convince me is best!!

I'd say 3.2 megapixels is good and the Canon powershot camera is a really good buy....we haven't regretted the purchase at all.

Hope this helps,
Georgina
thank you for your reply Kristy,
it really shows the mark up to live in the country!!!

catherine mum to tasmin and Liam

Sign in to follow this topic