Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Child Support Q Please.Sorry if it's long..........

Child Support Q Please.Sorry if it's long.......... Rss

I'll keep it as brief as I can....

A few years before I met DH he had a 5 minute relationship with a woman who told him she couldn't have anymore children,she fell pregnant and left DH.12 months down the line her husband came knocking on DH's door telling him he had a son! She was just getting back with her estranged husband but he had had a vasectomy while separated and hadn't told her.She wanted a baby so her husband would come back for good.
Anyway my husband has been paying child support every month religiously for his son for 10 years and only seen him a handful of times when he was a baby.He looks like DH so there is no disputing who the father is.
This woman now wants DH to sign over all parental rights to her now husband (2nd since the original one)and use his name(this boy had her 1st husbands surname), but is still expecting child support from DH.
Is this right? I was under the impression that if you signed over all parental rights it would include support?
Sorry again if it is long but it has been bugging me for months now.
Thanks in advance.
As far as I was aware (had them sort of problems with my partners ex), if you signed over your parental rights to someone else, that person takes on the childs financial responsiblity - so no your partner would not have to pay child support.

3year old wonderful little helper

Yep - if he signs over parental rights, no mpre child support.
Thanks for that girls,she is telling DH he still needs to pay as she is only doing this for consistency so he will have the same surname as her!!!
sound like she is trying to take him for a ride, she can change the childs surname without him giving up parental rights, if she wants him to give up rights he no longer has to pay CS
Apparently 3rd DH wants to adopt him.
Posted by: mum2bronte&pippa

wellin that case the child willbe HIS son not your DH's, why would someone support a child that is no longer theirs? it is the new husbands responsiblity.

how does your DH feel about all this, must be a tough decision
Posted by: allI_&_missymoo
Posted by: mum2bronte&pippa

wellin that case the child willbe HIS son not your DH's, why would someone support a child that is no longer theirs? it is the new husbands responsiblity.

how does your DH feel about all this, must be a tough decision

It's a very odd situation to be in i think.My husband has not seen him for at least 8 years as she has told her son he is an old friend and this child knows her ex DH as his father.My husband stays out of it for this little boys sake and just pays support.He only communicates with his mother through the occasional nasty email if he is 10 minutes late in paying ( he is a shiftworker ). He is fine with signing it all over because of this i think.
like the pp have said once the your dh's ds has been adopted, he is no longer responisible for his ds.

like the pp have said once the your dh's ds has been adopted, he is no longer responisible for his ds.

Yes very correct. If your DH signs over full paternity rights then no more child support no more nothing... unless his some comes looking....

In saying this it would have to go through the family court and tbh a judge would actually look at this request very seriously... being the child is older.... I have a funny feeling that they would be looking at what is in the best interests of the child.... and that it is her 3rd husband.... the 3rd husband would also be signing that if they separated then he would be responsible for the child....

*please whatever you do, do not just sign and give her paper work as there maybe hidden clauses.... seek legal advice.... *

I would also like to say that boys need there fathers... even though 18 seems like a long way a way... you may just find a teenager at your door wanting to know his father....

Posted by: **Duffy**

I would also like to say that boys need there fathers... even though 18 seems like a long way a way... you may just find a teenager at your door wanting to know his father....

Oh I couldn't agree with you more Duffy,having said that I have never been in a situation like this and neither has DH.This boy knows EX DH 1 as his father,hopefully one day his mother will tell him the truth but DH does not want to confuse this poor boy and this is why he stays away and just pays the support.This woman had 2 men believing they were the father and was getting support off both at 1 stage so I am sure DH will seek legal advice when the paperwork arrives.
Sign in to follow this topic