Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. little girl who loves to climb!!

little girl who loves to climb!! Rss

Hi all!

I have a 10month old little girl named emily who loves climbing! she climbs up on to anything she can find! couches, tables, you name it she gets up there! she isn't walking properly yet but i'm worried that shes going to get herself into trouble with it soon. She is really good at turning herself around and climbing back down, but she gets into everything and since im a single mum its hard to keep track of her at all times!!!

Just wondering if there are any other little climbers out there?? and any advice on how to control it!!??
My little monster Maya is a big climber too. She started climbing at about 8 1/2 mths, before she was walking and walked at 10 mths. She climbs on everything - the couch, the coffee table, and now, she climbs out of her booster seat at the table and stands on the dinner table!
I understand your frustration, believe me! I panic when Maya climbs up on the coffee table and then body slams onto the couch, and I am also a single mum, so I know the feeling of not being able to watch constantly with housework, washing...... May ais now 16 mths and hasn't seriously injured herself with climbing. I just set boundaries for her - ie. she is not allowed to climb on the dinner table! and then let her explore inside those boundaries. If I think she is not safe I tell her "mummy doesn't like that, hop down" and then distract her with something else.
I also try to get her to the playground at least once a week so she can climb on the equipment there, and she goes to daycare 3 days a week so gets lots of climbing there too!
Good luck,

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Gosh they certainly keep us on our feet aye! Emily tried to climb in the bath this morning which nearly gave me a heart attack! That door is firmly staying shut from now on!!!

I'm trying to set her boundries as well but shes going through a stage where the word 'no' is quite funny to her!

I hope the thrill of it all will calm down soon!
My 9 month old son is not as adventuries as your two. Although he climbs to the top of the stairs with no trouble but he can't get down yet and the stairs have a couple of inches gap bentween the wall and the stairs so I always have to watch him.

I had a giggle when I read Emma -Lou's post about Maya climbing on the coffee table and body slamming onto the couch smile Wow she is a busy little girl.

Sorry I can't be any help,but you guys sound like you are doing a fantastic job.

Good luck

Tineka, Mum to Hamish 3yrs, Abby 1yr & 1due 10/04

Maya has climbed into the bath fully dressed twice - and I was standing only 1/2 a meter away! I bent to get a towel out of the cupboard, and there she was in up to her knees! The second time she had finished in the bath, was all dry and in her pjs, and she stopped off in the bathroom on the way to get her bottle, to have another bath! Grrrrrrrrr! But so cute!

PS - Maya knows what 'no' means - it's her favourite word - 'no mummy'!

It must be so much fun for them aye, so many things that they can now explore! We have 15 stairs at our house which we have to use all the time, i've taught emily to climb up and down them so she knows what to do but i wouldnt trust her by herself she goes so fast she loses her footing half the time so i have a gate which she climbs the rails and hangs over!

better go shes woken up! i hope she will at least be safe in her cot!!!!
Hi guys not much help but I do know what you are going through. Toby climbs onto one lounge and launchs himself across the gap to the next one (and me with my heart in my mouth) now that he is a bit older I can start to tell him no but when he was younger I used to keep doors shut and keep him in one area which was pretty safe ie just the lounge to climb on with a mattress on the floor. Toby is always in the damn bath if I leave the door open and the other day he was just about to put his feet in the toilet!! It is exhausting sometimes!

Kelly,QLD, boy 23.01.03 and girl 08.04.05

my son is almost 20 mo & has only started climbing 2 months ago but i caught on the the back rest of the lounge chair they keep us on or toes hey?

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Hi my little man is almost 1 and loves to climb, he climbs the baby gates, on the lounges, and even in the bath, I guess there is nothing you can do about it except keep an eye on them, As long as he grows out of it!! lol

Em Tmba - mum to Liam 31/7/03 & Callum 7/5/05

Maya is 16 mths and shows no sign of growing out of it lol. Mind you, she was climbing before she could walk!

Sign in to follow this topic