Huggies Forum

Time Saving Tips Rss

As a Mum of Four with a busy husband, two kids at school / preschool, a breastfeeding bub and a two-year-old, I look for all the time-saving tips I can. Does anyone have any household or timesaving tips for time-poor Mums like me. I have a few up my sleeve, out of necessity, but am always on the lookout for more. Sometimes, the things which we think are simple and 'normal' could be a revelation for another Mum. As an example, my biggest time-helper is to prepare EVERYTHING the night before. My night-time routine includes preparing lunches, uniforms and clothes for everyone, packing the nappy bag and car and having all that I need to take with me the next day in a box which I use to transfer things out of the car and refill the next day. (prescriptions, things to return, letters to post etc). This saves me from having a big pile of stuff, and keeps it all together. I also have a Lost and Found box in my house. It is used to collect all the things my older kids leave lying around and should be putting away themselves. At the end of each day, they must return their stuff back to where it belongs. If it is not put away - it belongs to Lifeline by the end of the week. So far, nothing has been donated! Bring on your helpful hints....

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Hi

Cook bulk meals and freeze some. If you make cakes or pikelets, etc make a double batch and freeze some. Do your shopping groceries, presents the entire lot on line - they deliver and it saves you going to the shops and although the costs are a little inflated for the service, it saves you impulse buying. I live in a 2 story house so i have a box upstairs and a box downstairs that get carrie dup or down every night / morning to save multiple trips. Write down lists and the order you are going to do things in to save doubling back and forward while you are out. Use clothes driers instead of spending time at the clothes line. Bath kids together to save time watching the bath. If I think of any more i will let you know.
I love the lifeline box idea
I need that for my hubby

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Dear Stephanie - That made me laugh. I forgot to mention my hubbie's stuff goes in there too! And to Emilygsmum, I am a great fan of once-a-month cooking. I try to cook in advance at least once a fortnight and triple batch spaghetti sauce, taco mince, lasagne etc and freeze. It really does make a difference. There are some good websites for once-a-month-cooking (called OAMC on the US sites!). The pikelets and cakes are a good idea though - I haven't tried sweets. Just this morning when I was taking out the rubbish I remembered another tip. I line my garbage bin (kitchen) with about three bin liners at a time so that I save time each day. There is always a new one under the rubbish bag. Little things but big time-savers. Keep them coming..

What a cool topic!!!!
Unfortunately I'm not full of any ideas so I'm really enjoying reading the posts.
The 3 bin liners is a great idea - my hubbie hates taking out the rubbish becauase he has to put another bag in so this idea will come in handy since I get stuck doing it becauase I get sick of looking at the rubbish pile up!
Great ideas everyone and if I think of any I'll definately post it. Keep it up guys your tops!

P.S. Stephanie I got a great laugh from your post I think all the hubbies are the same - I think it's just like having another kid in the house. So the box idea will be coming my way as well (I might be able to get my dining table back now smile )

Bett, NSW, 2 boys & Twins 19.2.08

LOL
My hubby is great at taking out the bin unfortunately he "forgets" to put a new bin liner in - I've given up telling him so I usually put one in while he is outside putting the rubish in the big bin.

Taking out the garbage is something i hate doing I am VERY good at piling stuff really high I can balance so much stuff on top smile

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

LOL
I'm not too bad at the piling up either but it still doesn't work it can sit there 3-4 days at a time
smile

Bett, NSW, 2 boys & Twins 19.2.08

You could just tell people it's the 'new' thing in home decor.

Thought this might be of interest too..

Every time I leave a room, I try to remember to take something with me that doesn't belong there. For me it saves time (and extra trips) to put things away..
meal planning helps in my house tremendously. saves time at the supermarket as we know what to buy for the week, saves time during the day as i know what i'm making for dinner smile]

also i have a weekly direct debit via bpay that pays off little amounts of my regular bills. eg. $10/week goes off my water account - it means that when the bills come in the mail i don't have to waste time trying to come up with the funds or even spend time paying it as it's already done for me.
I put the washing machine on every night before I go to bed. Our laundry is outside, so the noise is not an issue.

Then, first thing the next morning, whilst Im waiting for the kettle to boil for my coffee, I hang it out.

The washing never piles up!

If it rains for a few days, I continue to do this, only I put the clothes in the dryer the next morning as apposed to hanging them out.

I find routine is the best time saver. I do most things at the same time everyday - vacuum in the morning and think about what to make for dinner, get meat out of freezer whilst Im making lunch, wash up in the afternoon, mop floors after Home and Away (anal I know) but it works for me.

I LOVE BEING A MUMMY!

i put a load of washing on once dh is home from work, and while it is on i get the load off the line (folding it as i go)and then hang the other load out - this is a great time saver for me as he watches DD while i do this - especially in this heat, i dont wanna be hanging it out during the day!
I also do my dishes as i am cookiing tea still - i run the water first then as i am finished with something i wash it up straight away, that leaves only the plates and cutlery at the end of the meal.

my sister - a mum of 6 - would make all the school lunches on a sunday when she got back from shopping, popped them in sandwhich bags, wrote what was on them (begemite, peanut butter etc etc) and put them into the freezer - she saved alot of time during the week by not having to prepare lunches everynight.

also, with the older children, give them a simple chore that is there responsibility. although some kids just flat out refuse!! (we offered DSD $10 pocket money each time she comes over IF she did the dessert dishes (i do the normal dinner dishes) so literally 3 bowls and 3 spoons (plus a little bowl for dd depending on what we have) and she turned around and said "no, i dont have to do dishes, or anything for that matter"
Sign in to follow this topic