Huggies Forum

New mum Rss

Hi
I am a new mum to huggies parents exchange. I am a full-time working single mother of a just gone 2 year old daughter, Paige who is in full time child care. As you can imagine my life is fairly full on with an active little girl. So I just want to say Hi and look forward to exchange stories with other mums about our little ones.

Rachel, TAS (Paige 21/6/02)

Hi Rachel

WELCOME to the Forum. I hope you find it as interesting and helpful as I have! Everybody who posts here is (generally!) very friendly and understanding so feel free to contribute whatever and whenever you like!

I actually also have a question for you. At what age did you put Paige into childcare? I may have to start back at work part-time next year and may have to consider this.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Cheers
M2G

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

Hi Rachel,
nice to have you here to exchange stories about your little girl - I had to reply as I really like the name "Paige". I have a 17 month old girl called "Jessica Lorraine" - (Lorraine was my husbands mothers name who died when he was 15). However, for my next one, if I have a girl (due April 2005) I would like to call her "Emily Paige". I still have to get my husband used to the idea yet! (although I still do have plenty of time).
Anyway, take care and look forward to seeing more of you around the place on this site.

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

Hi Lili

I started back at work full time when Paige was 9months old. So she has been in full time care since then. It was very hard, but for financial reasons I had to return to work.
I did do about 3 weeks of 'settling' time, that were visits for about 1hr 3 times a week and also some 'sleep settling' about 3 sessions. I found that this made it easier for Paige getting to know the carers and the carers to get used to Paige's routine. The first week she was in care I rang about once a day, the carers were great about this, and not at all annoyed.
She really enjoys care. Also I have found that for her development it has been great. You will still get the odd days when they just don't want to go and there will be tears. I still find those days difficult.
I would recommend if the child care centre allows it settling time.
I hope this helps.

Rachel

Hi Rachel

Thanks for your response! I cannot imagine leaving Gabriella in childcare and am quite worried about it, however your post did make me feel a little better about the whole thing! I will definitely ask about the settling time.
Does Paige go every day? Did you notice any change in her at all? Sorry for bombarding you with questions..>!

Cheers
Lili

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

Dear Lili

I don't mind answering you questions about child care. Paige was attending child care 5 days a week until the middle of july this year and now attends child care 4 days week for 5 out of 6 weeks and 5 days on the 6th week.
As she spends one night/day a week with her father (we are seperated and have been since Paige was 6 months old) depending on his work rostered days off.
I suppose because I had her in care from such an early age (9mnts - which was very diffficult for me, I envied the mums who stayed at home) her development went along in leaps and bounds. Particular now that she is talking, really is stringing words together, quite a little chatter box. She loves the interaction with the other children.
The child care centre that she attends (Uni child care centre - as I work at the Uni of Tas) do developmental programing for each child covering all areas of development, which the parents get a notice approx. every 2 weeks at what they area they are concentrating on, giving a list of activities they are doing to help the childs development. I could go on and on.
She is a happy and active little girl, and even now the changes in contact with her father has adjusted to the new routine of mummy, care, daddy, care and so on.
I don't mind you asking questions, feel free to ask as many as you like.

Hi Rachel

Welcome! This is a wonderful forum, it has been a wealth of information and advise for me. I know it has saved my sanity at times.
But I too have a question in regards to returning to work. I am a single mum as well and have been since day one, I'm returning to work in 3weeks. It's silly I know but I have this guilt feeling about leaving Jasper (9mths). This is going to sound like a stupid question, but how was your Paige when you returned to work? Do you think she missed and fretted being separated from you or is that a feeling that only we feel?

Cheers Karen

baby boy, 12/03

Hi Karen

It think it is motherly instinct to feel guilty when we are separated from our babies. I did feel guilty at first, but over time it becomes easier. Paige was good most days, you will get (and even now) still get days where they will cry been left. I hate those days. I find that if you say bye and that you will see them later in the day, they soon will know that you are returning for them. I have no doubt that she missed me like I missed her. I still have days when I pick her up i just want to cuddle & kiss her lots and not let go. If I feel like that I usually tell her the mummy missed you today and she give me a big kiss.
They adjust to the routine fairly quickly. Even as late as this morning I said to Paige it is time to go to 'school' (we call it that know she is older) and she said patting the couch stay home today. I said no mummy has to go to work, you have to go to school we will stay home tomorrow.
I know around 12 months she got really clingy it was difficult to leave her at care crying her eyes out, but it doesn't last long. All of our carers here give lots of cuddles when they need it.
I hope this helps, and I haven't confused your feelings more.

Hi Rachel,
Welcome to the forum, it's a great resource, I find the advise 10 times better that my baby books, most of the time someone else has already listed the question I wanted to ask!.
My Little girl Is also called Paige, before we found the name we did not know any one called Paige and now we know heaps, we could not deciede on a girls name until I was about 39 weeks as our last name is really hard to put a name with (everything rymes), my husband opened a baby names book and at the top of the page was the name Paige, we both liked it and saw it a fate!.
What was the first time like when you left Paige?, how old was she?, I am leaving Paige for the first time tomorrow with my Mum for 3 hours & I am so worried about how she will take being left, I leave her with my husband once a week to go to the gym but she is at home & in her normal routine with her Dad, and she usually kicks up a stink, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Elz
Hi Elz

I am also finding this forum a great resource. When we picked out the name Paige, I was reading names outloud to my partner (now separated) as he didn't really like anything I had already picked out , as soon as I said the name that was it. I think I was about 26 weeks and it stuck we didn't even change our minds when she arrived.
I left Paige with her father (his parents were at our house too) when she was 6 weeks old, I had my sisters hens night to go to, it was horrible because she was so little. I couldn't wait to get home after our meal out, I was only gone about 3hrs and rang once while I was out. Then 2 weeks later I was maid of honour in my sisters wedding, so mums good friend held her when we had photos taken etc, and at the reception we had a room at the hotel and my best friend baby sat for me as my sister didn't want her at the reception no exceptions. Which I must say I was not happy about.
I am sure your little girl will have a great time with her grandmother, just take a few favorite toys she loves as security.

Thanks Rachel for you response and you haven't confused me more. I do think it will be more me the fretting one rather than Jasper. I can imagine that it doesn't get easier either, oh well yet another emotional challenge to conquer smile

Cheers Karen

baby boy, 12/03

hi & welcome you certainly sound busy i take my hat off to you being single would be difficult enough not to mention working full time. . i am a sahm of 3 busy boys i would like to try for that elusive girl . hubby still deciding. my boys are 4 3 in october.& 2 in november

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Sign in to follow this topic