Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. A 'Q?' for those who have had their children christened/baptised

A 'Q?' for those who have had their children christened/baptised Lock Rss

My 3 children are being christened this weekend and I was interested (if you don't mind) to hear how much money you donated when your child was christened? And how is it customary to give it to the church? Do I write a check or cash? And as our ceremony is being done as part of the regular Sunday Mass do I put it in the collection, or do I hand it to the priest afterwards? I'd appreciate your input!

Thankyou!
Meagan
I gave ours $100 I think for each christening - as they were done sepperate. I wrote a thank you note and gave the Priest that and the cash inside.

im not catholic but my dh is, so when he decided to christened our dd i asked the local church how much did i have to (pay) the lady said that there was a minimum of $50 so thats what i gave the priest.

(still dont undestand why you have to pay for your child to be bless, dont think jesus asked for money when he used to pray for the kids)

/ur

Our church gave us an envelope to use and we handed it to the priest before the Christening, our Church asked for a donation of between $20-$50 dollars.
We were also given an envelope to put a donation into. I think I put $50 in it and as it was done at a Sunday service my fmaily placed money in the basket too.
Thanks everyone, I wasn't sure about giving cash as I thought it may be a little bit unsavoury to be slipping the priest a couple hundred $$ lol. But I'll do that and write a thankyou note. They haven't asked for a donation but I'm happy to give one, we live in a very remote area and the Father and Sister have come once a week for 4 weeks to meet with us, and (as we have older kids) spend time with them so they understand what will be happening and what they need to do and say, and I really appreciate the time they've spent. But I agree, I don't think Jesus asked for money and I know I wouldn't like being told what I could pay as a 'minimum'!
we gave $50, for the younger 2 when they got baptised, I don't think we donated anything when the older 2 were baptised, but that was a while ago

My grandparents gave $250 on our behalf to the priest.
Well I am the odd one out guess but I gave no money to the Priest when DD#1 was christened. I didn't realise there would also be 5 other families taking up all the pews and getting their kids christened as well and IMO it should be a free service.
as members of the uniting church we where not charged and made no donations
and i am not sur ethere is any charge of other families getting christened/baptised in our church

if i wqas making a donation for such a service i would be giving it to the priest/minister/pastor at a seperate time after the service

We gave about 100 with ds and with dd we will probably do the same
Posted by: ~2Tinks*1Tank~
Well I am the odd one out guess but I gave no money to the Priest when DD#1 was christened. I didn't realise there would also be 5 other families taking up all the pews and getting their kids christened as well and IMO it should be a free service.

I think it should be a free service too - My circumstances for paying were a little 'different'...

I am a catholic and we wanted to have DS christened as catholic too - we don't go to church, but its a big thing for my grandparents. So we had the christening in my old home town (700kms away from where we live now!.

Well, turns out the priest was a very traditional priest and wasn't very keen on babtizing DS because DP and I aren't married!

Anyway, my grandparents sorted it out for me (Gave $250 to the priest!) and DP and I got a lecture from him about the need to get married.

However, the priest REFUSED to put DP's name on the certificate and DS had to have my surname, even though on his birth certificate he has DP's name!

Very weird story!
Sign in to follow this topic