Huggies Forum

A serious Question Rss

Now this is by no means meant to upset anyone or start World War III, its an honest question that i have been thinking about the last few days...

When i was in Primary school, we had Religious Instructions at school, from memory it was just once a week, but we were taught the basics from the bible, the good, the bad and the ugly.. We were taught the reasoning behind Christmas and Easter etc etc I also attended Sunday School for a short while. I am by no means religious, nor is my DF, we have been together for 7 years and i think we have only stepped into a church once and that was for a wedding! LOL But i think its really sad that (from my understanding, someone may know more on this) this education has been removed from our public schools.

It has left me wondering, who is going to teach my children about religion? Will it be left up to us as parents to teach them the basics? Am i going to have to start reading the bible to him at bedtime instead of 'Where is the green sheep?' It has come to the point where Christmas and Easter cannot even be celebrated in some schools anymore.. I think its really sad that it has come to this.. i really want my children to have this education.

Will you as parents now teach your children? What other choices do we have? Does Sunday school still exist?

Again please lets not turn this into a big religious debate, i am purely interested to know how others are planning on dealing with this, do you think its important that a child has the opportunity to learn about religion?

I hope this makes sense...

smile

hey

my MIL brought the boys "the childrens bible"

Its a big hard cover book i can dig it out if u want, but it explains things in kid friendly terms and is the kind of book you can read to them at bed time
My girls are christened catholic buy the choice of my ex to please his mother.

In saying that i am not religious at all. I attend church ever few weeks with FM who goes to a non denominational church called life church. I like the way they do things, Its relaxed and easy.

My girls know that Jesus was born on Christmas and his parents are Mary and Joseph. Thats the whole extent of what they know.

Their grandmother takes them to catholic church at time when she looks after them but its not like its serious at this age.

I want them to make up their own mind when they are old enough to know what they are taking about. They know that their friend Chelsea is in heaven although they dont know what heaven is. On the anniversary of Chelsea's death i had a pic on my phone of her and they asked me if that was her in heaven! lol

So yeah that will be up to them to choose what they want to believe. I am 28 and only now working out what i want to believe!!! So they have plenty of time! In saying that I also am of the belief that if children pass they automatically go to heaven so i know they will be ok.
myself and my husband are muslims and will be sending our kids to a islamic school and we teach them our religion and everything at home too, my son who is 3 almost 4 goes to islamic studies on saturdays to reinforce what we are already teaching him at home. i think when it come to public school its political correctness gone mad LOL....i mean really who are the government try to fool they are trying to please everyone, which is impossible, and in the process are pleasing no one. i think if the school wants to have some sort of religious studies then it should be up to the parents to allow their children to go or not, IMO religous studies are great as they allow kids to learn about a diverse mix of religions and cultures which also helps them understand the different perspectives, which really in this day and age we need more of. But primaryily the religous prefereces should be left up to the parents, in the case of children who attend public school, with some reiteration in the schools, espcially living in such a diverse place i think it is important no matter what religion you are to learn as much as you can about other religions.

My girls are christened catholic buy the choice of my ex to please his mother.

In saying that i am not religious at all. I attend church ever few weeks with FM who goes to a non denominational church called life church. I like the way they do things, Its relaxed and easy.

My girls know that Jesus was born on Christmas and his parents are Mary and Joseph. Thats the whole extent of what they know.

Their grandmother takes them to catholic church at time when she looks after them but its not like its serious at this age.

I want them to make up their own mind when they are old enough to know what they are taking about. They know that their friend Chelsea is in heaven although they dont know what heaven is. On the anniversary of Chelsea's death i had a pic on my phone of her and they asked me if that was her in heaven! lol

So yeah that will be up to them to choose what they want to believe. I am 28 and only now working out what i want to believe!!! So they have plenty of time! In saying that I also am of the belief that if children pass they automatically go to heaven so i know they will be ok.

Yeah i totally get what you are saying Manda, it is ultimately their choice when they are old enough to understand. I just can't shake that i feel its important that they learn the basics. I know between AB and myself we can do this, AB went to a private catholic boys college and believe me, he knows the bible inside out... LOL I guess with Easter approaching, the whole religious side has caught me off guard now that i have a child who is nearly old enough to grasp the concept ( well kind of ) of what it is all about..

I just don't want him missing out on that education you know?

Sharon thanks for that info about the childrens bible, its something i never thought about. I might look into getting one myself smile

I am catholic and will be getting DD baptised by the end of the year. We dont attend church, at this stage it think it is a little pointless taking a 3year old and have her bored shitless. And although they run a sunday school i would prefer to be the one to teach my child the "god stuff" for now so that i can control what and how she learns. We all know how the catholics love the guilt thing and i would like to avoid that.

At christmas we talk about jesus when we set up the nativity scene and even made a "happy birthday cake" for his birthday smile and will start the easter talk this year, not sure about how i will go about the jesus dying thing though.

no worries, ill dig it out tomorrow morning to make sure i have the right name smile
You know what, it had never even occured to me that RE wouldn't still be part of school. I know what you are saying and if you aren't comfortable with it I would't be reading him the bible as such every night but maybe find some books of bible stories and read those with him once or twice a week. After all, it wouldn't be good if the green sheep was never found again cause Rydes was having the boring old bible read to him instead. LOL

As for if it is still in schools, I am not sure but I hope so, my guess is though, that it's no longer compulsory if it is. I know what you mean about Easter and Chrissy not being mentioned in schools, many moons ago I worked in after school care and the school I was working at had a very high Jewish community so we weren't allowed to mention christmas or Easter at all and I had to learn a little about Hanukkah so I knew what the hell a Dreidel was and what it was for. LOL

As far as I know most churches still have Sunday school, so maybe that is an option, there is also Scouts and Boys Brigade if either of them look appealing to you. I know I did Girls Brigade as a kid. Failing that the only other option really I guess is forking out for a private school education at a religious based school.

Yes Sunday School does still exist although it normally runs through the sermon so the parents sit inside listening to the sermon while the kids go to Sunday School, at least that's been my experience while we've been trying to find a new church to attend. When I was going to Sunday School as a child it ran before church so that parents who didn't want to attend church could still send their kids to Sunday School (not sure which version you'd be more familiar with). A lot of churches in my area also don't seem to have anything on offer/catering for kids that are younger than school age.

As for Religious Education, not 100% certain but it may not so much be that it isn't allowed in the state school system but more that it is really hard to find people who are willing to actually teach the classes. My mum used to teach r.e. through their church and at the end she was doing all year 4-7 classes because they just couldn't get people to come in and teach the lessons. That doesn't sound like much until I say that there were 6-8 classes in each year level! She was basically at the school three days a week for full days each day to cover all the classes (she was seeing more than 300 students as their r.e. teacher). Eventually she had to stop (she'd been doing that 'work load' for at least 3 years by that stage) because it was just too much for her to do. In Queensland I think that r.e. is still offered at a primary school level, provided local churches are able to find people who are willing to teach the classes, but that parents can opt out of it for their kids if they don't want them to attend, not sure about other states though.

Leisa.
this is why we chose the school we did for our kids. they NEED to be taught this stuff (i dont know enough to teach them myself). it is such an important part of education imo as i want to be able to give them enough information for them to make the 'belief' choice on their own. they will not get this from the public school in our area.

Yeah i totally get what you are saying Manda, it is ultimately their choice when they are old enough to understand. I just can't shake that i feel its important that they learn the basics. I know between AB and myself we can do this, AB went to a private catholic boys college and believe me, he knows the bible inside out... LOL I guess with Easter approaching, the whole religious side has caught me off guard now that i have a child who is nearly old enough to grasp the concept ( well kind of ) of what it is all about..

I just don't want him missing out on that education you know?

Sharon thanks for that info about the childrens bible, its something i never thought about. I might look into getting one myself smile

I think as a parent of a child not at school YOU can teach him what you want him to know!

Its in your hands. You and AB have to come to a decision of what you want him to know then just reinforce that.

Im 23 and I dont even remember having religion stuff at school thats not to say we didnt have it i spose. Maybe I was sick that day lol but Im still unsure about the whole xmas easter meanings although i dont really take the time to learn about it and take it on board. Prehaps I need one of those kids books to explain it to me. My mum is a teacher and her skool still has religious education, I spose as a parents its our job to get those religious kids books and learn it ourself so we can explain it. I was brought up not having a religion and was always jelous of my friends that went to church.

Sign in to follow this topic