Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. DR/Patient Confidentiality............

DR/Patient Confidentiality............ Rss

OK this is something I have been stewing over, we live in a small town close to what I guess you would call a regional centre??? (to me its a HUGE town with a pop of about 15,000!!!!LOL) anyway, we don't have access to many OB's, I LOVED the ones who delivered my 3 kids, she was a beautiful woman and the best DR I have ever met, but sadly is no longer delivering babies sad

When my bestie was preg I wanted to refer to my OB but of course as she was no longer delivering I recomended my 2nd choice who I have heard nothing but good things about, and if I ever had any more kids I would definitely see him.

As it turns out he is very close friends with an aquaintance of ours ( I won't exactly say a friend!) Anyway when my friend had her little one, we all knew she had gone in and were waiting anxiously for the news from them, they were very specific they wanted to be the ones to tell us and we respected that.

Anyway we got a message from aquaintance saying please pass on my congrats to xxx on the birth of their gorgeous boy *name*.

basically by the sounds of it the message was sent out of spite (long story) as she knew we wouldn't have been told yet.
So we rang her and said you have just ruined it for xx they wanted to tell us themselves, how have you found out...... THE OB TOLD HER!!!

We were quite upset about and eventually told my friend once she had recovered in case she wanted to take it further and it has put me off EVER seeing that OB for any future children.

Friend has not taken it any further, but its something I have stewed over as it seems so horribly wrong to me.

What would you do??

OK this is something I have been stewing over, we live in a small town close to what I guess you would call a regional centre??? (to me its a HUGE town with a pop of about 15,000!!!!LOL) anyway, we don't have access to many OB's, I LOVED the ones who delivered my 3 kids, she was a beautiful woman and the best DR I have ever met, but sadly is no longer delivering babies sad

When my bestie was preg I wanted to refer to my OB but of course as she was no longer delivering I recomended my 2nd choice who I have heard nothing but good things about, and if I ever had any more kids I would definitely see him.

As it turns out he is very close friends with an aquaintance of ours ( I won't exactly say a friend!) Anyway when my friend had her little one, we all knew she had gone in and were waiting anxiously for the news from them, they were very specific they wanted to be the ones to tell us and we respected that.

Anyway we got a message from aquaintance saying please pass on my congrats to xxx on the birth of their gorgeous boy *name*.

basically by the sounds of it the message was sent out of spite (long story) as she knew we wouldn't have been told yet.
So we rang her and said you have just ruined it for xx they wanted to tell us themselves, how have you found out...... THE OB TOLD HER!!!

We were quite upset about and eventually told my friend once she had recovered in case she wanted to take it further and it has put me off EVER seeing that OB for any future children.

Friend has not taken it any further, but its something I have stewed over as it seems so horribly wrong to me.

What would you do??

If it were me then I would probably complain. But if your friend doesn't want to then there's not much you can do. But yeah, that would really annoy me!

That is a defiant breach of doctor patient confidentiality, although its no excuse the OB may have just said something to her friend without even thinking, but she should have known better.
Patient confidentiality is durmed in like would not believe.
Your friend could speak to the medical board, but I don't know how far she would get.
I would be pissed if it was me.

The OB had no right to say anything about the bubs being born, even if they were friends.
My mum is a nurse and when she worked locally she knew most of her paitients but never once said anything about them. The only one she told us about my when my cousin was born as she was on shift and gave her her first bath with my uncle.
When I had DD one of the Midwives was my grandmas neighbour who's kids I also looked after. She was asked questions by my Grandma but did not say anything as its not her place.

I know there is nothing I can do but it still makes me so angry!!

Whether he did it without thinking or not its just so wrong, he told her sex, name and weight, it bugs me too as we wll probably have more babies down the track and I wouldn't trust that OB now, I wonder what else he would tell sad
it happens more often then not unfortunatley. I personally would be furious and take it further.

i''''m baking a baby

What a jerk of a Dr! I definatley wouldnt use that Dr ever knowing he could break Dr paitent confidence nor would I ever refer him to anyone else.

Cheers NEss

Don't worry I would never refer him to anyone else and I have no issue saying why either!!!
It just sucks if I do go back again that I may be stuck for an OB and have to travel further sad
Did you find out the circumstances around how this person found out from the dr? Maybe they were at the hospital and enquired about xx, and the doc said - 'oh yes, she's here she just delivered' without thinking.

If it were me I'd want to find this out as I don't think I'd be upset about it if it were like that - however would definately be upset if the doc had rung someone to say 'hey guess what, xxx had their baby!'

I work at a hospital and even though it shouldn't happen - the doctors are constantly talking about their patients to all the staff, and usually at the nurses desk where there are people walking past. Unfortunately we can only do the right thing ourselves, we can't stop other people from doing it though.

Chalys he texted her
It won't let me edit my post, he texted her as soon as bubs had arrived, before my friend had told her family and friends
in that case yes... you have every right to be angry! You could right to the medical board of your state about it if you wanted to take it further.

Sign in to follow this topic