Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Makes me angry Lock Rss

But it IS that simple... I wouldn't go. If the option was moving somewhere without the cat or staying, I'd stay. I can't see a reason that I would be forced into moving without her. Lucky for me I guess.
Glad you guys found homes though smile I know my mum would take her in if she had to! She has my sister's cat laugh She moved and took him with her but he fretted so much she thought he'd have a nicer time living at mum's where he had grown up. Fair enough, I can see she did what was best for him but if the option was to put him down she certainly would not have done that.
woops sorry jacnovember it was lissi, i must of just pulled your name out of a hat!!! Sorry smile

I still don't understand how people could do it, i am of the opinion when you purchase a pet it is forever no matter what! There is so many pets on the adoption site and i can't imagine how many more are at the pounds so clearly a lot of people out there are taking in pets and then deciding it's not going to work for them anymore!!! Maybe they should bring out licenses for pet owners i'd be happy to pay it, if you give a pet away there should be a waiting period before you can get another and if you hurt an animal you should be smashed over the head!! same goes for some parents out there too (not referring to anyone on here) but thats a whollleeeee other topic.

And just a cute little thing to share, my dad is a show no emotions man LOL when our family dog was getting older he got arthritis dad would of had him inside at night but he couldn't hold onto his wee all night so would go on the floor so my dad built him an insulated dog kennel with an electric blanket, and here was everyone thinking he was a big toughy LOL so cute!!

woops sorry jacnovember it was lissi, i must of just pulled your name out of a hat!!! Sorry smile

I still don't understand how people could do it, i am of the opinion when you purchase a pet it is forever no matter what! There is so many pets on the adoption site and i can't imagine how many more are at the pounds so clearly a lot of people out there are taking in pets and then deciding it's not going to work for them anymore!!! Maybe they should bring out licenses for pet owners i'd be happy to pay it, if you give a pet away there should be a waiting period before you can get another and if you hurt an animal you should be smashed over the head!! same goes for some parents out there too (not referring to anyone on here) but thats a whollleeeee other topic.

And just a cute little thing to share, my dad is a show no emotions man LOL when our family dog was getting older he got arthritis dad would of had him inside at night but he couldn't hold onto his wee all night so would go on the floor so my dad built him an insulated dog kennel with an electric blanket, and here was everyone thinking he was a big toughy LOL so cute!!

Alright than.

What was the mum that had PND suppose to do with the dog she gave me???? Pets are forever right. Tell me how she should have dealt with the situation.

I just think you don't know how people feel therefore have compassion.

My cat would have died the vet said if I took him with us interstate. So I did the right thing and gave him to someone to LOVE.
Yeah maybe there is a small percentage of people that have had genuine reasons for giving them up, but i don't believe every animal or even half of them have truely been given up because there was no other choice! I guess there's 3 types of people, animal lovers, animal likers and animal haters!! Dogs are great for people who are sick, they have dogs that go into hospitals to visit people because it helps them, they are healing creatures! I had surgery once and when i got home i was really sick dp and my mum brang my dog in and put him on the bed with me and it truely did ease the pain!
I can't believe the amount of people who are saying that they wouldn't move if they couldn't take their pet. We moved from an area with high unemployment, with both my parents out of work (this is when I was a teenager) and it not looking likely that they would find work in the forseeable future, to an area where my dad could get a decent job. It was horrible to have to leave my cat behind as I loved her very much, but even so, no I don't think my parents should have stayed there and claimed benefits when moving would sort out their unemployment problem! (Not knocking those who claim benefits as I know it is necessary sometimes, but it wasn't necessary in our family's case as we could move to find work.) If anyone disagrees on this point then I feel that you are placing your pets' wellbeing above that of your children, as children undoubtedly gain from having more money than just the shoestring budget than benefits provide, and they learn from example that to be successful in life you can't necessarily sit on your butt and wait for things to come to you.

A further example of people giving away pets that they have had for a long time is that my aunt adopted a dog who was nine or ten years old from an elderly man who could no longer take care of it. Wobbity, I suppose you think this is wrong too then, despite the fact that the poor dog had no quality of life as the man could barely get to the supermarket to buy its food, let alone exercise it. Note that the man was not purposely mistreating the dog, he was just old and couldn't look after it. I am quite sure that it was in the dog's best interests for it to be given away, and I imagine that the man was probably upset to lose his companion, but I expect you see this as just another example of people dumping pets that they can't be bothered to look after.

I can't believe the amount of people who are saying that they wouldn't move if they couldn't take their pet. We moved from an area with high unemployment, with both my parents out of work (this is when I was a teenager) and it not looking likely that they would find work in the forseeable future, to an area where my dad could get a decent job. It was horrible to have to leave my cat behind as I loved her very much, but even so, no I don't think my parents should have stayed there and claimed benefits when moving would sort out their unemployment problem! (Not knocking those who claim benefits as I know it is necessary sometimes, but it wasn't necessary in our family's case as we could move to find work.) If anyone disagrees on this point then I feel that you are placing your pets' wellbeing above that of your children, as children undoubtedly gain from having more money than just the shoestring budget than benefits provide, and they learn from example that to be successful in life you can't necessarily sit on your butt and wait for things to come to you.

A further example of people giving away pets that they have had for a long time is that my aunt adopted a dog who was nine or ten years old from an elderly man who could no longer take care of it. Wobbity, I suppose you think this is wrong too then, despite the fact that the poor dog had no quality of life as the man could barely get to the supermarket to buy its food, let alone exercise it. Note that the man was not purposely mistreating the dog, he was just old and couldn't look after it. I am quite sure that it was in the dog's best interests for it to be given away, and I imagine that the man was probably upset to lose his companion, but I expect you see this as just another example of people dumping pets that they can't be bothered to look after.

Im on similar thought to this. We need to move due to no jobs in our area, if i can't find a pet friendly place i will have to rehome the cat and dog (well just the cat the dog doesn't have long sad ). Very few places where we need to move are pet friendly (there rare actually) so if i find one im going straight for it. Financially were struggling and DP needs a second job but with no jobs here we have to move.
busy bee, i understand your circumstances you had to move overseas, as i said above i realise a small portion of these pets may have had genuine reasons to be given up, but even in your case your pet was rehomed by you therefor not dumped at a shelter for god knows who to end up with it, so yes you did what was best given the circumstances, i just don't believe all the animals in there have been put in the shelter for genuine reasons i imagine it would be a very small percentage!!! Of course you have to put your family and childrens needs first!! I personally would go to any lengths to keep my pet with me and worst case scenario i would rehome if there was absolutely no other choice! i would never dump my pets at the shelter! I couldn't live not knowing where they were and if they were getting looked after.
DF and i had to give up our dog, she was a rotty x husky. The lady behind us kept feeding her (DF had told her time and time again not to) and because of this our dog would jump the back fence. We made all our fences higher that we could, but because were only renting couldnt do much more. The back is wood with barbed wire on the top, she kept getting stuck when we were out and a young boy would rescue her. So for her protection we had to take her to the RSPCA, she would have strangled herself and its something we can not live with. They told us because she has no behaviour issues and because she's still young (3 years) They will most likely train her.
Another consequence that not many people think about of dumping pets is that those who do survive often breed with other wild dogs, and dingoes, and become a menace to wildlife and livestock. Where I grew up, this was a huge problem. One farmer down the road from us lost all but 4 out of the 120 goats he started with, in 2 years. All taken by wild dogs/dingo crosses. One year old steers were being taken down by the same dogs.

But I can't imagine dumping a pet. I just couldn't do it. We really want to get a dog (DD loves them) but we just won't take that step until we buy a place of our own, so that we can guarantee it the secure yard space that it needs. We'll also be careful about the size and type of dog that we buy, to make sure it's going to be suited to suburban living. And we're going to get one from the RSPCA. Can't stand pet stores selling dogs and cats, as I know from experience that they are not terribly discerning, for the most part, about the kind of animals that they sell. For instance, selling large guard dogs that will instinctually bark at anything and bail strangers up at the gate, to people living in the suburbs (like the dogs that we used to breed, to protect our livestock from the abovementioned wild dogs) is the height of irresponsibility. Yet every so often I come across a pet store in the middle of Brisbane selling the exact same breed (it's always the same chain of pet store too - I never buy any pet supplies from them on principle). When I do, I let my mother know, and she lets her breeders network know, and they all phone up the store and let them know exactly what they think of it all! We just know that those dogs will either end up being dumped, or debarked, or punished for doing what comes naturally to them - exhibiting guard dog behaviour! So sad.

And then the stories you hear even of people who have pet birds, get sick of caring for them, and just let them go one day, thinking they will be able to fend for themselves. Most of them will not survive the first 24 hours out of their cage.

Yes, sometimes there are legitimate reasons for not being able to keep your pets anymore. But more people need to think a bit more before they get a pet in the first place.

Kirkie, so true about the birds too, poor little things arn't used to searching for their food and water.

Apparently the shelters get pretty busy after christmas too, people think they'll make good presents then change there minds sad
Its to easy for people to have pets. Its should be hard to adopt a pet as it is a child. Pets still rely on you for love care and affection as children do.

I wish I had the means to adopt all these poor lil critters.

AM NO LONGER TINKERING WITH THE TICKER HMPH!

Sign in to follow this topic