Huggies Forum

Help please.... Lock Rss

Hi everyone:

I am new to this site and I am wondering if anyone has some tips for me. I have 3 little boys all under the age of 4 years of age, my husband and I have only one income coming in and we struggle to make ends meet, as I am sure there are lot of other people out there to with the simular situation. Need some tips on bugeting.. 2 in nappies still edelst in pull ups at night still.. Thank you for your advice.
http://120dollarsfoodchallenge.wordpress.com/
Saw this on mamamia.com.au a while back. It might be helpful for you smile
You haven't really said much about what your expenses are but here are a few tips:

• Cancel Pay TV
  • Find a cheaper internet/phone plan or see if you can get a naked DSL plan (no home phone attached to your internet)
  • Find a cheaper mobile plan or change over to pre-paid
  • Have a look at what food you buy and find cheaper alternatives - we do 2 meat free nights a week to save on the cost of meat. You can buy bread for $1 a loaf from most places (home brand or Aldi)
  • Buy fruit and vegetables in season and from the markets or a fruit and veggie store, they are cheaper and usually fresher than from the supermarket.
  • Make a budget and stick to it.
  • Find cheap and healthy recipes. Some recipes you can bulk up with extra vegetables or legumes (beans, lentils) and get two meals out of. I budget $150 a fortnight for food and am yet to go over.

We have a family of four (TTC#3) and live on $40k a year and still manage to save money.
As PP said we have a spreadsheet with all our expenses on it, anything left over is savings.

I put away money 4 nappies etc every week & only buy when they are on special. So I might spend alot at one time, but it is money we have saved up over a period of time.

We list everything in our budget, from food & bills to vet/medical costs & home repairs. We have set amounts that we put away every week for these items.

I found a budget template in a preganancy & birth magazine, & I changed this to suit our needs.

I am happy to send you a sample of what we do, just PM me.
Hi

If you have a credit card you could transfer the balance to another bank with a cheaper rate. I recently did this and went to bankwest. They gave me 1.99% on balance transfer for 9 months. I also saved alot of extra banking fees and charges by changing my account. I pay $5 flat fee a month.
I also pay my insurance premiums monthly. It does work out a little bit more but at least I don't have to fork out a lump sum once a year.
My utilities and phone bills I pay a little bit each week too.
My sister has older kids so I grab some of the clothes she wants to get rid of.
Hope this helps a little!
we do grocery shopping at ALDI supermarkets i know theres not a huge range but there not to much junk food and you actually come home with food that you can make full wholesome meals from when we shop there a big shop trolley filled up will cost around 120-130 nappies uncluded.
hand wash if you use it can be watered down.
cut up your credit cards. powdered milk can be cheaper or uht milk.
i actually now my boys over 1 yr i use half the measurement for formula.
Buy detergent tiolet paper soap etc at a chemist warehouse the other day i bought a litre washing up detergent for $2 you will be supprised at how cheap basic things can be at 2 dollar shop and warehouses.
go take the kids to the library or park for entertainment its free or even the backyard.
i use to buy pine o clean benchspray for the kitchen and now i use the bottle and fill it up with diluted disinfectant it does the same thing.
thats about it really, i know how it feels.
go check out your local butcher too, chances are you will get a better cut of meat then the supermarket ones and they arnt stuffed with water.
we buy a $75 pack Roast included and it last us around the three week mark.
Thank you so much ladies for all your advice - I really appreciate it! Very kind of you.. Great ideas

As PP said we have a spreadsheet with all our expenses on it, anything left over is savings.

I put away money 4 nappies etc every week & only buy when they are on special. So I might spend alot at one time, but it is money we have saved up over a period of time.

We list everything in our budget, from food & bills to vet/medical costs & home repairs. We have set amounts that we put away every week for these items.

I found a budget template in a preganancy & birth magazine, & I changed this to suit our needs.

I am happy to send you a sample of what we do, just PM me.
X
We have a family of four (TTC#3) and live on $40k a year and still manage to save money.

Wow! We are a family of three and still spend about $220 a week on groceries - meat included.

How on earth do you do it? I've been scratching my head for weeks on how to get our expenses down. We are in the process of thinking about moving into town (we live 30km out) so that will save heaps on fuel, but how do you keep your groceries down?
We have just started to purchase meat at a meat and seafood centre which is working out cheaper then getting it from woolies/coles.
I KNOW our groceries shouldn't cost much cos my son is 11 months old and eating all home cooked food.

I would love for you to share anymore tips if you have any.

I put money aside for each bill every week so we don't get any sneaky surprises.
I think i'm going to look into transfering the balance of my c/card to a cheaper rate.

Do you have insurance for 2 cars and contents insurance too? What about health ins?

Cooper 24-7-2009

Wow! We are a family of three and still spend about $220 a week on groceries - meat included.

How on earth do you do it? I've been scratching my head for weeks on how to get our expenses down. We are in the process of thinking about moving into town (we live 30km out) so that will save heaps on fuel, but how do you keep your groceries down?
We have just started to purchase meat at a meat and seafood centre which is working out cheaper then getting it from woolies/coles.
I KNOW our groceries shouldn't cost much cos my son is 9 months old and eating all home cooked food.

I would love for you to share anymore tips if you have any.

I put money aside for each bill every week so we don't get any sneaky surprises.
I think i'm going to look into transfering the balance of my c/card to a cheaper rate.

Do you have insurance for 2 cars and contents insurance too? What about health ins?

We have contents insurance and car insurance for 1 car. We also have a car loan that we are paying double repayments on to pay it off quicker. We have internet/home phone and 2 mobile phones on plans. Plus electricity, gas and kindergarten fees. We also rent. That is all of our bills.

I find that if you pay things off each week (like $30 to your electricity bill) you won't be scrounging around for money because you won't have a big bill to pay.

For the groceries, we shop at Aldi and do one shop a fortnight and get everything we need. I write a list before we go and don't buy anything extra. Aldi doesn't have too much in the way of temptation either lol. No additional trips to the shop because that is when you by impulse stuff you don't need. I shop at the local fruit and veggie shop and get milk there because it is $2 for a 2L which is very cheap and eggs are cheaper (and fresher) too.

We eat a lot of things made from scratch, instead of spending $2 on a jar of pasta sauce, I make my own with a 65c can of diced tomatoes. On the last sunday of the fortnight we throw all the left over vegetables in the slow cooker and make vegetable soup. DH takes a packed lunch to work (usually leftovers) and a thermos with coffee instead of buying it.

HTH
Sign in to follow this topic