Huggies Forum

cat scratching couch Rss

im hoping you girls have some ideas i havent tried to help stop my cat from killing the couch.

so far ive tried yelling at her, removing her when she does it. ive given her a scratch pole. ive tried to spray the couch with that no scratch stuff, which works at the time but i have to constantly spray the couch otherwise she is right back at it(this also costs a bit and isnt a long term solution). ive also tried to spray the cat pole with cat nip which is supposed to attract them, well she is oblivious to it.

please help. we are getting a new couch and dont want her to wreck this one.

mum to one goregous boy

Tried spraying her with a water bottle when she does it? Some cats will learn not to do it after a few times, others will just do it when you are out! ph34r
get a cheap spray bottle from the supermarket fill it with water and a tiny bit of vinegar, every time she does it spray her, usually they will just lick the water off but because of the vinegar they will hate the taste of it, tis good cuz is kid friendly.. though i wouldn't be letting the kids spray it

get a cheap spray bottle from the supermarket fill it with water and a tiny bit of vinegar, every time she does it spray her, usually they will just lick the water off but because of the vinegar they will hate the taste of it, tis good cuz is kid friendly.. though i wouldn't be letting the kids spray it

thanks will have to give it a go. heres hoping it works. im so sick of it. she has a fantastic pole to scratch i just cant work out why the couch is so appealing.

mum to one goregous boy

My cat scratches the wall over the couch weird thing. I agree spray bottle or in DD's case have fun and throw toys at it lol (DD does this after the cat has clawed her leg).
Generally cats like a certain texture under their claws. We have leather couches which our cat can't get good 'pull' off, so he's never tried. But he loves cane furniture, tree bark, carpet etc. If the scratching post is different texture, your cat might not go for it.

You could try clipping the tips of it's claws off - you can just use human nail clippers. Hold it's paw flat so the claws splay out then just snip the points off. If it's an adventurous outdoor cat, this might not be suitable as they use their claws to climb up things like trees and fences to escape possible attack.

Another thing you can do is buy a "hiss" can that has a sensor. It's basically an aerosol can that lets out a loud "HISSSSS" when it senses movement. Place this where the cat scratches, and trust me, it'll scare the daylights out of the cat and make it not want to go back to that area.
Friends of mine use these.
Wouldn't work on an outdoor cat though.
thanks ive tried clipping the cats nails yet she still does it. as for texture im getting a new couch with different fabric so hope that helps and i plan on cutting the cushins from old couch up and stapling them to the scratch pole so if its that particular fabric hopefully she scratch the pole.

as for those nail cap things i dont know, she is mostly an indoor cat but there are a lot of feral cats around and id feel bad if she went outside and got in a fight, i would imagine they would make it hard for her to defend herself. if all else fails might have to try them though. psychadelic kitty claws lol

mum to one goregous boy

Oh no, i can totally sympathise! Our naughty boy scratched our brand new leather couch when we got it! I love him so much I couldnt stay angry haha. So at night we have to cover the couch with blankets and remove them in the morning as he only scratches it at night.
Weird thing is he has a scratching post and uses it too, but think he prefers the couch and carpet!

thanks ive tried clipping the cats nails yet she still does it. as for texture im getting a new couch with different fabric so hope that helps and i plan on cutting the cushins from old couch up and stapling them to the scratch pole so if its that particular fabric hopefully she scratch the pole.

as for those nail cap things i dont know, she is mostly an indoor cat but there are a lot of feral cats around and id feel bad if she went outside and got in a fight, i would imagine they would make it hard for her to defend herself. if all else fails might have to try them though. psychadelic kitty claws lol

Yeah, I don't think they'd last outside anyway. They have indoor only cats.
My cat used to go to town on my lounge too, little shyte. He'd get under it and go completely bat sh*t with his back legs. We ended up squirting him with a spray bottle with water and lemon juice mixed together. Then if we saw him going under the lounge we'd grabv him and put him next to his scratch pole. It only took about a week til he realised that he'd get a nasty squirt if he touched my lounge and now he goes ape with his swingy ball and post instead. Good luck smile

ETA DON'T put him outside if he scratches! When I was younger we got a new kitten, and my dad put him outside when he scratched the lounge. Of course for the next 14 years every time he wanted to go out, he'd claw the lounge. Lol.
I've just put some foil on our couch, cats hate foil! I tried everything else and this seems to be stopping him. I just wrapped a bit around his favourite spot at night and when we go out.

Sign in to follow this topic