Huggies Forum

Have things changed? Rss

So I've been looking at taking 7mth DS to PlayGroup for his sake and mine. I mentioned it to mum recently and she told me she went once with a few of us - I am one of 8 and we are all very close in age, the first 7 in 7 years. As mum didn't drive, she found one close by and walked there with us, 2 or 3 toddlers and a baby. But before mum could leave at the end of PlayGroup, she had to mop the floor! Apparently everyone had a chore to do and that was hers. How on earth was she supposed to do that and mind her kids??!!!

Now I'm hoping things have changed and PlayGroup have learned some common sense.
What? At our play group we all help tidy up the church as best we can. Even if it's just helping pile the toys into boxes. And of course the kids help if old enough. It's never left to one person. There is an older women usally there and a co-ordinator, they make sure the carpet is clean- espeally after morning tea. One of these women has two kids but once a month stays to vacume as one of her jobs as part of helping with the church.

Why would you not expect to help?
i took DS to playgroup, and we all used to pitch in and help. When you got there there was a little roster thingy, and you would put your name down to do one or more things, like set up/pack away outside toys, inside toys, set up morning tea, set up/ clean up craft, and vaccum afterwards. it made it easier as everyone had something to do and helped out so it wasnt up to just one person. I think a lot of playgroups do that too.

Why dont you give the Playgroups Association a call and find some groups in your area, they will then give you contact names and numbers of whoever runs the group and you can ask them how theirs are run.

The one I go to has shared duties and I'm fairly sure all others do as well. These groups dont run by themselves, someone has to do it and its the members who attend. Our convenor & co convenor of the group are volunteers, they do not get paid and the membership fees cover the rent and some craft supplies - its not enough to pay a cleaner.

We hire a room and it is our responsibility to clean up after our group which includes packing up all toys and vacuuming at the end of our group. We have a shared fruit morning tea so the fruit needs to be cut up and tables & chairs set up as well as bowls and tongs and then this needs to be cleaned up (dishes done, chairs & tables wiped) and all things put away.

There is enough parents at the group for your child to be supervised by others if you are for instance in the kitchen doing the dishes.

Sorry but your post made me laugh a little... how on earth did she manage to look after her home and mind her kids LOL... mopping the floor at playgroup is nothing.
I would expect with MOST Play Groups you are expected to pitch in and help out! LOL

Ours is held at the Maternal Health Centre, so if we didn't clean up after OUR kids, we would not be able to use the space anymore. Simple really.
At ours we all help to set up and pack up. The kids have a big plastic tarp that gets put down at snack time for them all to sit on and eat. At the end while they toys are being packed away one person vacumns the hall, some else washes the coffee cups etc. Everyone helps and it works well.

What? At our play group we all help tidy up the church as best we can. Even if it's just helping pile the toys into boxes. And of course the kids help if old enough. It's never left to one person. There is an older women usally there and a co-ordinator, they make sure the carpet is clean- espeally after morning tea. One of these women has two kids but once a month stays to vacume as one of her jobs as part of helping with the church.

Why would you not expect to help?

I didn't say I didn't expect to help, but surely a woman with 4 kids including a baby has enough on her hands and common sense would've let her escape any additional chores! As for me helping, if it was something I could do while watching DS, then I would have no problem helping.

Having read everyone's posts, it sounds like common sense still may not be found at PlayGroup. What if someone has a broken foot? Do they still have to mop the floor and mind their child/ren? I wasn't suggesting I should get out of helping because my mother had 8 children, but surely like anything, it shouldn't be a blanket rule.

I didn't say I didn't expect to help, but surely a woman with 4 kids including a baby has enough on her hands and common sense would've let her escape any additional chores! As for me helping, if it was something I could do while watching DS, then I would have no problem helping.

Having read everyone's posts, it sounds like common sense still may not be found at PlayGroup. What if someone has a broken foot? Do they still have to mop the floor and mind their child/ren? I wasn't suggesting I should get out of helping because my mother had 8 children, but surely like anything, it shouldn't be a blanket rule.

At out playgroup their is a roster system for like opening/closing (including set up and pack up), and then for fruit cut up (we each take a peice to share), wash up and also for craft.

I think that anything that you do at home is done whilst watching your children- mopping floors etc, so why wouldnt you be able to help out to do it when their are a dozen or so other mums around to also keep an eye on your ds? Its not like you are leaving your DS with them, your still their. I know the other mothers at the playgroup, and am quite confirdent that my children will not be in danger while im helping out.

Most playgroup are parent run, and therefore require parents to actively participate in all the aspects involved in running it!

Im sure if you broke your foot no one would expect you to do what someone who isnt injured would do, just like when your heavily pregnant youl wouldnt be expected to pack up the heavy toys etc, its just about helping things run smoothly, and if you cant or wont contribute, then im sure that you wouldnt be invited back. Every parent their manages to get the stuff done that needs doing whilst watching their children, whether they have 1 or 4!

Well if someone had a broken foot and still managed to make it to playgroup then I would be amazed! lol. But I have 3 children and I am able to watch them and help with what ever needs to be done at the same time. It's the same at home, I still need to mop and clean etc and look after the kids at the same time. At playgroup all the kids are still in the same room as us while we are cleaning up, everyone watches out for each other's kids. Everyone pitches in to help so nothing is left entirely up to one person. I think you would find it hard to find a playgroup where you didn't have to help with anything.
we all clean up the hall and also sweep. The kids 'help' too but we do excuse those with bubs, i do it but if DS2 is crying and needs me noone minds if i dont do it
yep
i could never help with food prep cos my kids just make it a nightmare.
I would usually sweep the floor
now they have taken to fighting about that and wanting to "help".
It makes it hard
sometimes it works out best if I just leave that way my kids are out of the way and not screaming and someone else has a better chance of doing it.
makes me feel bad tho.
And here I was thinking it was common sense for EVERYONE to help out, otherwise it would be left up to the same two or three people every week! No one is paid to be there and clean up after YOUR child, it is a community/parent run thing. Would you honestly just sit back while all the other mum's were cleaning up after craft, food scraps on the floor, dishes, packing away toys etc?? Of course we would never expect a mum with a broken foot or a mum that was feeding her child to get up and start mopping a floor, that is just silly. You get out of play group what you put in. If you were to, week after week expect EVERYONE else to clean up apart from yourself I wouldn't be expecting to make any friends or even last very long!
Sign in to follow this topic