Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. What happens if you child doesn't attend school???

What happens if you child doesn't attend school??? Lock Rss

There is another little girl missing on the outskirts of Sydney, she was last seen walking to the bus stop at 8:30am, I assume it was today as they mentioned nothing about her being missing overnight.

So..... what is the procedure at the school where your children attend. Are you expected to call the school and tell them your child won't be attending? If you child does not turn up at school do they call you to confirm their where abouts?

I am just curious as to how the parents knew this little girl went missing on her way to school when school isn't finished for another 2 hours.

Thanks

Is OVER rude people

Strange that they would know before the end of the school day, unless a teacher saw her walking to school & knew she hadn't shown up at school . Our school certainly doesn't ring, even after a few days of non attendance. (In Qld & a large school, not sure if they would make a difference).

There is another little girl missing on the outskirts of Sydney, she was last seen walking to the bus stop at 8:30am, I assume it was today as they mentioned nothing about her being missing overnight.

So..... what is the procedure at the school where your children attend. Are you expected to call the school and tell them your child won't be attending? If you child does not turn up at school do they call you to confirm their where abouts?

I am just curious as to how the parents knew this little girl went missing on her way to school when school isn't finished for another 2 hours.

Thanks

we got a letter but our son was at school but missed roll call as he was putting his lunch order in or something.They dont call if the child is not at school unless its habitual

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

My sons' school is a very small school and I get a phone call by 9.30 if they are not there (unless I've phoned them first of course) so they are right on the ball. At our old school (500 students) we would get a letter home the following day asking for a reason and to sign (unless you had notified the school already). I think as a parent if you make it a habit to call when your kids are sick, the school is more likely to take note if your child is not there and you haven't been in touch.
I'm a teacher in the NT, so my answer is based on what I know of public school procedures here. If a student in my class is missing, I let the office know and by 10am there's a school wide email of the students who have been notified as absent and why. If my student isn't on the list, I have some one in the office track him/her down or I send an email off to the parents. I take this seriously as I'm interested in where my students are during the day and why they're not at school. Generally parents are really good with notifiying as this has become habit since the introduction of the procedure mentioned above. So I guess it's up to the individual schools to set procedures and be consisten with them and for the parents to be on board as well.
A lot of schools will call if a child has not turned up for morning roll call, or soon after. I know my school did, if you were even 15 minutes late without a phone call from parents they would call home and find out what is happening. Many schools also text now too if child hasn't turned up.
i don't have kids in school yet but i do know that most schools usually send their absentees out to parents via text message. i think they usually send the message out in the morning to advise parents. it is probably more of a truancy thing, but also in cases like this would alert the parents/school/police to a problem as soon as possible.

Thanks for the replies everyone. The school obviously has some sort of procedure to advise the parents, which sounds like a fantastic idea. I will be asking the school about this when I enrol Emily at the end of next year...

Lets just hope she is found safe and well.

Is OVER rude people

I am a teacher in a NSW school and our school does not contact the family if a child is absent until after three days of absence.
Some families contact us if their child is going to be away, either via email or phone.
Most of our students are driven to school or walk together in a walking group supervised by a parent. Very few walk alone.
Hey there my son is in high school in QLD and we get a text message sent at 10:30 if our child is absent and we have not advised the school, my nephew's school would call the parents at 10am and another school I know sends a letter home for unexplained absences and rings after day 3

Leigha''s little men smile

Sign in to follow this topic