Huggies Forum

Moving Rss

Ok We live in NZ and hubby has been offer the possibility of a job in Canada.

My grandmother is from there but i have only ever been as far as sydney and havbe never ever been that far away from my parents before.

I know i sound like a sook lol but my mum is my best friend and i talk to her every day some times servaral times a day.

We also have a business here and i just don't think i would work send stuff back and forward from Canada to Nz etc etc. Also like moving there i guess you would have to start over again.

As you can tell i am kinda freaking out but kind of excited about the possibility of like snow and halloween for the kids and disney land being closer etc etc. i really don't know.

Has anyone done it? How was it? How did you cope with the home sickness?
Never done it but would love to ohhh if you get the chance go for it!! It would be SO amazing!! Imagine a white christmas!! Does it snow there at christmas haha im prob thinking of somewhere else haha

Never done it but would love to ohhh if you get the chance go for it!! It would be SO amazing!! Imagine a white christmas!! Does it snow there at christmas haha im prob thinking of somewhere else haha

Yes it definatly does snow in winter there lol. It would be lovely. It's just so scary being that far away from family
Hi,
Haven't gone as far as Canada, but we moved to the middle of Aus, so its a whole days travel to get to NZ.
Go for it, it may not be forever, and flights are reasonable from NZ-Canada, Skype is a godsend for Grandparents and international calling cards are so cheap you can talk to your mum every day (we do).
Good luck on your decision!

Hi,
Haven't gone as far as Canada, but we moved to the middle of Aus, so its a whole days travel to get to NZ.
Go for it, it may not be forever, and flights are reasonable from NZ-Canada, Skype is a godsend for Grandparents and international calling cards are so cheap you can talk to your mum every day (we do).
Good luck on your decision!

Thanks Aimee R,

I think it would be doable and i did think of skype etc it's just a big move! More opertunities i guess and as you said it wouldn't be forever. Will have to find out all the details and have a big talk and go from there. It is very hard to get any where here in terms of money etc. hmmmmmm sooo much to consider.

Thanks for your reply! gasp)
If I had to move somewhere other than Aus or NZ it would be Canada! Lovely ppl there! Beautiful place.

BUT

Now that I have kids I wouldn't want to take my kids away from their grandparents.
We haven't done NZ to Canada but I did the US to the UK and then we (DP, I & DS1) did the UK to NZ.

For us the decision to leave the UK was one that was made easier I guess by us deciding we wanted a different kind of life for DS1 that we felt he wasn't going to get in the UK. Yes we were leaving our parents, everything we knew and taking DS1 from his grandparents but it was the best decision we ever made. We knew that if we came out here, barring catastrophe we were never going back to live so we decided what stuff we wanted to bring with us and what stuff we could leave behind. It was comforting to have 'our' stuff back after 3 months of rented stuff.

To be honest we don't really get 'homesick'. NZ is our home and though we miss the grandparents, the history and the food we don't miss it enough to want to uproot our lives to go back. DP's mum was out last year and my mum and sister came out 2 1/2 years ago and are thinking about coming back out next year.

We talk regularly on the phone and did regular webcam chats when we first arrived. We email photos and things, but of course it's not quite the same thing for any of us. We cope because we know that we've done what is in the best interest of our family but every so often we do re-evaluate whether staying in NZ is what is best for us. So far the pros of staying outweigh the pros of going back. smile Equally, we have said that if we go back to the UK now, we won't ever come back to NZ while the boys are young because it's just too much upheaval, especially for DS1, due to the gap in their ages. Then of course when they are old enough, they probably won't want to come back. laugh

I think the reason we coped so well when we moved here was because we were committed 150% to making it work and wanted to be here....unlike so many others who come out here and want to go home in the first week because they can't cope and say they are so homesick and time won't make it better. That and we didn't treat it like a holiday which I think helped. laugh

I don't think that would would miss NZ I think that we would miss my family and the few friends that we have here (which is not many in hawkesbay) I think it would be an adventure and we can always come back if it all tuens sour. We are going to be getting all the details etc and will make a decision from there. The boys are still young enought to adapt sure it would be hard but I think it would be fun to. I am really in to minds it really all depends on finances etc.
DH was offered a job in Canada in our first year of marriage. We thought about if for a few weeks, but didn't take it in the end. It was just going to be too hard. We're both very close to our families & although we'd had no kids at that stage, we just couldn't bear the thought of leaving them. Mind you, this job offer wasn't in the scenic part of Canada - it was in the flats, in the middle of nowhere where it gets so cold they have frost alarms which warn you not to go outside with exposed skin!!! I couldn't do it! LOL
DH has been to Canada numerous times for work though & he does say it's beautiful - it just wasn't the right place for us smile

The offer is in Toronto so it's a main city. I would be an amazing oppertunity I really don't know lol it would be cool and freaking scary at the same time.
It would be totally freaky! But totally cool at the same time.

I haven't moved on such a big scale, but I did move from Adelaide to Tasmania for DH smile

It was a massive step for me (I'd never even lived away from home!) but it was well worth it..

I had the mentality that sometimes you just have to hold your breath for a second and dive on in! You never know what you might be missing out on otherwise.

Once you've got all the details, sit down and work out all the pros and cons and see which way you're swinging.

And always go with what feels right. If you really don't think you could bear it, then don't go. You might be ok for a little while, but you wouldn't truly enjoy yourself and it would make things more difficult..

Good luck! I'd love to go to Canada! (just for a visit for us tho tongue )

Hi there - I did it!!!

I was 18 at the time so only had to uproot myself, no hubby or kids.

I had met and fallen in love with a Canadian backpacker when he was traveling around Oz, so when his visa ran out I followed him "home" and stayed there for 6 months the first time, came back to Oz for 5 months, then back for another 12 months.

The first visa was a tourist visa so technically not allowed to work (although I did) and the second was a proper work visa.

I lived in a town called Barrie which was 45 mins from Toronto. My ex's family lived in and around St. Catherines and Niagra region, again not far from Toronto and very scenic.

The east coast of Canada is so pretty. The weather is fantastic, all year round. Summer temps are usually in the mid to high 20's. Winter is great too cause its not too cold - usually averages around -1 to 3 degrees, but when the skies are clear and sunny it doesnt feel that cold.

Also, everywhere is centrally heated so unless you do a lot of trips in your car all day and are out & about, you really wont feel the cold. I actually found winter to be hotter in Canada than in Oz, mostly because of the central heating - its so hot!

I could go on and on....but maybe you're after specific information??? Ask away here or pm me if you want.

I still feel like Canada is my second home....and that's after breaking up with my ex and moving back to Australia, 13 years ago! I would move back there in a second if I had an opportunity.

Rach
Sign in to follow this topic