Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Cous cous Rss

I've never had it, but want to try it so I'm going to get some when I do the groceries. Someone told me that the key to it is flavouring it, so what do you do with it? Any recipes would be appreciated.
Thanks

I've never had it, but want to try it so I'm going to get some when I do the groceries. Someone told me that the key to it is flavouring it, so what do you do with it? Any recipes would be appreciated.
Thanks

Oooh I have one, I have one! I just made this today, it is really nice. Glamour mummy made me go hunting for a recipe so she can take credit smile

http://www.mediterrasiancooking.com/moroccan-chickpea-couscous-salad/
My crazy DS1 likes it plain. Just some butter. Mental. It's much better with spices etc.

Also, it doesn't matter waht the packet says, same amount of couscous to boiling water (we do 1/2 cup of each) soaked for 5 mins then add whatever over heat method is a generic best preparation method. Some of the packets overcomplicate it to death.
oh I love cous cous...

My favourite is grilled chicken pieces, cherry tomatoes, roasted pine nuts, baby spinach and some feta...YUM!!!

I also just love it by itself with a tiny bit of butter stirred through it

Roasted pumpkin works well with it as well

I make a cous cous salad. just use the cous cous instead of lettuce and add everything else i would normally add to a salad. i make enough for 2 meals so have it with dinner and left overs the next day. yum

i''''m baking a baby

I like the Ainsley Harriot brand cous cous that is I think lime or citrus flavoured. I usually put it with chicken or something.
I add some chicken stock with water when making so much nicer

I usually eat around it. I can't stand it. And polenta. May as well eat sand. Gritty ooky yucky.

I have a thing about textures...
I also use it to make tabouleh

Thanks for all the yummy suggestions.

Oooh I have one, I have one! I just made this today, it is really nice. Glamour mummy made me go hunting for a recipe so she can take credit smile

YUM! That sounds really nice.

My crazy DS1 likes it plain. Just some butter. Mental. It's much better with spices etc.

Also, it doesn't matter waht the packet says, same amount of couscous to boiling water (we do 1/2 cup of each) soaked for 5 mins then add whatever over heat method is a generic best preparation method. Some of the packets overcomplicate it to death.

Thanks, I was told that as well, but had forgotten until you mentioned it.

I usually eat around it. I can't stand it. And polenta. May as well eat sand. Gritty ooky yucky.

I have a thing about textures...

Lol, I've never had polenta either, maybe I should give that one a go next.
I found a good brekky cous cous recipe in a kids book, heat some apple or orange juice and add dried apricots or any type of dried fruit ( i used some tinned pears instead) and add a teaspoon of cinnimon, then add the cous cous and then cover until all the liquid is soaked up.
You can then add a dollop of youghurt or cream or a small bit of milk and serve smile

That recipe looks nice, might have to give that a shot.

I don't make it often, but when I do it's nothing fancy. I replace half the water with orange juice, and then stir through diced vegies - usually eggplant, carrot, zucchini, corn & whatever else may be on hand, with a little bit of butter. I started doing this when DS was maybe 12 months old, and he has always loved it. It was an easy meal for when it was just the 2 of us home (neither of my exes particularly like cous cous) so now it's just the 2 of us again I might make it more often.
Sign in to follow this topic