Huggies Forum

should I be worried? Lock Rss

Hi everyone
DS is 18 days old today. Yesterday he seemed a bit off. He wasn't eating as much at each feed (usually 120ml-i know its a lot but he has been having this for about 5 days and has been fine and not throwing up or anything). He had also thrown up and had a really running poo. He seemed really tired too. He was falling asleep drinking his milk(only 30-40mls in).

Today he doesn't seem as tired but he has thrown up twice. One of these was so bad I had to bath him and strip his bed as there was a pool of milk. He has also had several runny poos. I was in the kitchen and heard him fart and poo. I changed his nappy and began giving him a bottle and he farted 3 times with alot more runny poo. I know that runny poo explosions can be quite normal but when I first put him on formula he was constipated and I have fixed that and now he is more regular and not in pain but his poo is no where near as running as this(it was like water).
He is still having wet nappies but he seems quite unsettled.
I called Maternal and child Health line and the lady kinda just seemed like I was an idiot and sorta brushed me off.

Should I be worried and take him to the doctor?
There is a possibilty he may have picked a virus up as DD had diarhea last week and their dad has been sick (we are not togetheer and I've stopped him from visiting while sick but he had been here the night before getting sick) so I'm just not sure.
Any advice would be appreciated and sorry for the novel.

TIA

Hi,
It sounds like he might be a bit crook. Take him to the doc, like the PP said, little ones can go down very quickly. They doc probably won't do anything for him, but your mind will be put at rest.

Hope that helps,
Fiona.
Does he have a temperature? I would take him in to the doctor too, you should be able to get an appt straight away with a new bubs. As long as he keeps having wet nappies you know he isn't getting too dehydrated. Hope he gets better soon!

Thanks everyone
He doesn't have a temperature. I've just fed him and he seems quite content now and hasnt shown any signs of bringing his milk back up yet whereas before it was within about 5 mins of finishing that he threw it up.
I'll keep a close eye on him and take him down to the docs if he doesn't seem right still.
The nurse i spoke to before said I was feeding him too much so I've given him less this time and i'll see how he goes.
Thank you again.

Can i ask how long he has been on formula... also the brands with gold in them do tend to make them spilly....

could you not bf him or have you stopped. it does sound like a lot of milk as their tummies are the size of their hands when they are born you may be over filling it.
Didnt you say in a post last night that your EX has gastro? Maybe hes caught a little of that along the line.
Keep a close eye on him for signs of dehydration.

Can i ask how long he has been on formula... also the brands with gold in them do tend to make them spilly....

could you not bf him or have you stopped. it does sound like a lot of milk as their tummies are the size of their hands when they are born you may be over filling it.

he's been on S26 original since 2 days old. i didn't put him on gold b/c of the tendency to get constipated etc. im only giving him that much milk as he has been hungry. sometimes he doesnt drink it all sometimes he does. i spoke to my mchn about it first and she it was fine, to go by what he is doing as a guide.

pinkgerbera: i was worried about the gastro thing so i called the nurse but she didnt seem too concerned and said that him vomiting may be over filling his tummy and that the runny poo is normal. I'm keeping a very close eye on him as even though he's my 2nd I hven't gone through anything like this. He's still having heavily wet nappies but has done another runny poo at 9pm so he hasn't left my side. still no temp and has had another feed but only 60 mls to see how he goes

thank you both for your replies

Hi

It sounds like gastro to me, if he's still vomitting and has runny poos tomorrow then take him to the Dr.

My youngest has had several bouts of gastro and it sounds exactly like this, as soon as she ate it would come out both ends. She was 8 months the first time she got it though and was quite crook and given someone else has had gastro in your house I'd say its highly likely.
Sign in to follow this topic