Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. How long do you leave your child/ren in daycare?

How long do you leave your child/ren in daycare? Rss

Theres a report on Today Tonight tomorrow night about how long parents leave their kids in daycare. Sometimes its up to 12hrs a day. I think 1 mother leaves hers 9-10hrs per day. I'm sorry but I find that awful.
Just out of curiosity, how long do you leave your child in daycare and what do you think is 'acceptable'?
I dont think 12 hours is right either.
If i have to do something quickly after work like get milk, pay a bill or something i will, but apart from that i drop them off go straight to work and when im finished go straight to get them.
I only work 6.5 hours too so mine arent in there for more than 7.5 hours

I can understand 9-10 hours for people that have 8 hour days and travel.

if im not working whether im sick or just on a day off the boys go from 8.30/9 till 3/3.30 when ds1 goes to school so its only one pick up and drop off time smile

at the moment the two little ones go five days as i was working 5days before the school hols.. now im only doing 3 days. with the option to do extra.... once school goes back they will only be going 3 days and i will only be working 3 days max

eta that on a work day they get dropped off at 8 (i start 8.30 and do the school drop off after them) and get picked up when i finish.. unless i run to get milk or pay a bill etc.. usually only half hour after i finish... finish times vary from 3pm till 5pm

i can understand how some children spend such lond days in child care. if i worked a 8.30-5 job ds would spend 11 hours in day care. i would have to leave at 7 to allow for traffic and would just make it back by 6.

please do not think the worst. some people travel long distances for work and traffic is really bad in some areas. people have to do what they can to make a living

mum to one goregous boy

My kids generally go for around 8 hrs a day sometimes longer as i have meeting in the city every fourth tuesday so maybe 10 hrs on that day
but if we are finished work early we will go straight to pick them up
Ours are booked in from 8-5 one day a week..
They aren't usually there anytime before 8.30/9, but they're there til pick up at 5, so that makes it a 9 hour day or so... I think it's pretty reasonable that kids be there for as long as that, if not longer, if parents have to work.

Theres a report on Today Tonight tomorrow night about how long parents leave their kids in daycare. Sometimes its up to 12hrs a day. I think 1 mother leaves hers 9-10hrs per day. I'm sorry but I find that awful.
Just out of curiosity, how long do you leave your child in daycare and what do you think is 'acceptable'?

my kids are in 2 days a week. from 7.30 to 5.30-6.15.

what do i find acceptable? some people dont have the choice not to use childcare or the flexibility to be able to manipulate their hours at work, so i find anything as acceptable if it HAS to be done.

if they are in 12 hours per day just cos, well then that would be unacceptable.
i just saw the ad claiming some kids are in care for up to 15hrs a day how is this possible i thought most only open at the longest 630 -630 so 12hrs
just an interestin point to make. my ds spends a bit of time at home day care every day and yes i could probably pick him up earlier but you know what he actually has more fun playing there than he does at home because there are other kids there and when i get home i always have a million things to do and cant give him my full attention so i would rather leave him that bit longer til i know i can spend quality time with him.

of course im lucky because the day care lady is the next door neighbour.

In all honesty though i believe that gone are the days were the majority of mums are lucky enough to be able to be SAHM.

mum to one goregous boy

i just saw the ad claiming some kids are in care for up to 15hrs a day how is this possible i thought most only open at the longest 630 -630 so 12hrs

Home day care offers longer hours. many being very flexible and offering earlier starts and later nights

mum to one goregous boy

Ours is only open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9-2 so mine have all gone one of those days for 5 hours since they were between 15 mths / 2yrs and they love it, they go one day a week for no other reason than I enjoy it, they enjoy it so it works!!!

BUT I am blessed to be able to pick them up and take them to work with me if I need to....

Personally I think that if parents are working full time then YES I can see how the kids are there for that long, and I don't judge, we don't all have the luxury of choice when it comes to working
Im looking at going back to work in the next few months and i dread having to leave my little man. But i dont have a choice, we have a house to pay for. I will have to drop him off at 7:30 am so i can get through the traffic to be at work by 8:30. I dont finish till 5 so it will be at least 5:45 by the time i get back to pick him up. My partner works odd hours so sometimes he might be able to pick him up earlier but this wont happen very often.
I can tell you now that the parents like me dont like the fact they are there for so long, but we dont have a choice.
Sign in to follow this topic