Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

would you be annoyed?? Lock Rss

Well my DD is 15 weeks now and we don't want to start her on solids until at least 4 months. I just found out today that my MIL has been doing things like giving her JAM when she babysits DD. Nothing major but sticking her fingers in the jar and letting DD suck it off. I told her that we didn't want DD on solids yet but she seems to think it's ok because she started her boys at 6 weeks. I'm just annoyed that she did that, am I right to be upset at that?
Yes I would be annoyed too! Especially because it is Jam which is like 90% sugar, babies just don't need sugar at all.

I wish people would lose the whole "I did this when my babies were young" attitude and do as they are asked. Seriously shows a lack of respect for the parents and their wishes.

Sorry I hate when people do things with your kids after you have told them no.
Yeh i think so.. i cant understand how people think they can just do this with someone elses baby. Make it very clear to her that you are very upset and that she is not to do that ever again.
I would be fumming....... especially sucking it off her fingers... did she wash them.

also wether you wanted to start at 4 months 6 months or 15 months its not up to her to give your baby food until you decide to.... back in the old days they used to feed the babies way early.....

get some up to date info for her and say I will decide when to start solids not you....
Thanks for the advice. It always takes me a day to get her settled after coming back from my MIL but I always put it down to DD not getting enough sleep. But it sorta makes more sense that her tummy might be upset because that's the feeling that I was getting when I would bring her home.

Thanks for the advice. It always takes me a day to get her settled after coming back from my MIL but I always put it down to DD not getting enough sleep. But it sorta makes more sense that her tummy might be upset because that's the feeling that I was getting when I would bring her home.

she could actually be giving her more than jam you realise because this is all she is admitting too. does she have your daughter often??? . Personally I wouldn't be leaving your baby with her as at the moment she can't be trusted....

Its so different from a young sibling feeding the baby ice cream or anything its an adult who should know better......

she could actually be giving her more than jam you realise because this is all she is admitting too. does she have your daughter often??? . Personally I wouldn't be leaving your baby with her as at the moment she can't be trusted....

Its so different from a young sibling feeding the baby ice cream or anything its an adult who should know better......

I agree. I would be telling her that she is to no longer give your daughter anything but what you have provided and if she cannot do that then she cannot babysit her.
She maybe has her once a week for a couple of hours and once every couple of weeks for a sleep over. I've had to go back to work and was contemplating leaving her with MIL but I decided with daycare as I know they will follow the routine that I've set out with her. I'm glad I did do that as DD is always very happy when I pick her up from daycare and I never have any issues trying to settle her the next day.

Well my DD is 15 weeks now and we don't want to start her on solids until at least 4 months. I just found out today that my MIL has been doing things like giving her JAM when she babysits DD. Nothing major but sticking her fingers in the jar and letting DD suck it off. I told her that we didn't want DD on solids yet but she seems to think it's ok because she started her boys at 6 weeks. I'm just annoyed that she did that, am I right to be upset at that?

Yes I would be cranky too!
x
Oh my god, I would be fuming too if my MIL did that! Does she seriously think it is appropriate to give a young baby all that sugary jam? I would not trust her to look after my child anymore. Who knows what else she is doing and not telling you!

Yup as everyone else has said I would be FUMING! The same thing happened with our DS and FIL, although DS was 5 months and had started on rice cereal but that is not the point. FIL took it upon himself to let DS lick the creamy cheesy sauce stuff from a potato bake off his fingers! I nearly hit the roof! Told him right up front not the feed him that and DF had words with him about it later when I wasn't there.

Many of our parents generation don't understand how much things have changed since they had their children. But regardless of this, your wishes on how to raise your own child need to be respected. My FIL & MIL were told they won't be babysitting DS if they don't.

She maybe has her once a week for a couple of hours and once every couple of weeks for a sleep over. I've had to go back to work and was contemplating leaving her with MIL but I decided with daycare as I know they will follow the routine that I've set out with her. I'm glad I did do that as DD is always very happy when I pick her up from daycare and I never have any issues trying to settle her the next day.

I work in a pre school and ours wouldn't be giving anything you didn't provide. also follow your routine, as there is nothing worse than a tired baby.

I would also tell your mil that you arn't starting solids until 6 months so that way your baby isn't going to get near 4 months and she feed her something else.... then if you choose to feed at 4 or 5 or 6 months you don't have to justify it.

also before starting solids I would read as much information i could about things so that way if she tries to tell you to feed her something you have info before hand to back yourself up and up to date info.

at my work we have all this information on flyers and released from plunket..... we never recommend starting solids at 4 months to parents as all the offical information suggests not to... you could ask your centre for some up to date information and they should have it on hand to give to your MIL too.
Sign in to follow this topic